Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Murphy is growing like a weed?

This lovely (spawn of satan) puppy has gone from the tiniest little thing to a giant.

3 weeks ago, he was 40.5lbs at the vet, so he's probably about 43-45ish now.

I'm wondering how big this little squirt will end up being? The trainer said yesterday to either triple his 3 month weight or double his 4 month weight. He was 29.2 (i think) at 3 months, so that's 87.6lbs, and double his 4 month is 80 (He'll be 20 weeks this upcoming Saturday). The vet said he would be at least 85-90lbs, but leaning more towards the 90lb end.

His father wasn't a huge lab (more American, I'd say about 60lbs) and his mother was in the same range, so I'm wondering if he'll be more like his grandparents? He isn't chubby - he's eating normal, no extra helpings, etc. He also looks nothing like his father or mother. Murph has a boxy head and looks more English than American. I would rather not contact the breeder, but is it possible for a pup to look more like their grandparents?

I know it isn't unusual to see 80-90lb labs, but I'm just curious as to how big that is! LOL I'd love to see him grow into a big teddy bear, but I also don't want the next Clifford the Big Red Dog climbing all over me.

(Side note - he's been losing a lot of teeth which is awesome news for my arms and pants. He still bites, but he's starting to learn to control his biting)
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content
    In memory of Katie 3/20/94 - 2/19/07

I have always heard to double the weight at 4 months for an approximate adult weight. I have found that to be true to get their approximate 12 month weight but for boys, (that is mostly what I have had and remember!), they continue to fill out and build muscle and bone mass for up to 2+ years. It has meant my boys have been heavier by their 3rd birthday. Maxx is definitely a 90+ lb boy of solid muscle. He also has a very heavy coat which makes him look even bigger, many guess by 10 lbs! Often people are shocked when they put their hands on him and find he is not fat!

And absolutely, they can look like their grandparents. Maxx does look almost exactly like his dad, big old head and all. Genetics are funny, you never know where a trait will show up!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

PinkDragon14 (09-29-2015)

Doubling his weight at 4 months should give you a good estimate. Not all dogs follow that formula though, you will just have to wait and see
    Last edited by ZoeysMommy; 09-28-2015 at 04:01 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDragon14 View Post
    He also looks nothing like his father or mother.
    Does he look like the mailman's dog? Just kidding

At 18 weeks, Mocha was 58 pounds. Now, at 2 years, he's about 106 pounds at 28" tall at the withers. He's a big boy but we'd like to get him on the lean side at about 100 pounds.

This website was a bit over. Find Out Your Puppy's Adult Weight | Puppy Chart It estimated Mocha's adult weight at 122 pounds.

I know Mocha's a big dog, but he's just Mocha. He climbs in my chair with me and I just scoot over and make room.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Just anecdotal evidence with my Thor. His dad is about 90 lbs, his mom 55. Thor is right in the middle, around 70-75, which is exactly where his grandpa on mama's side is. His looks definitely follow that side of the family - he is the spitting image of his grandpa in build, size, coloring, and general looks.

I think he has the personality from that side, too. When we first went to visit the breeder, Thor's grandpa came over to greet me by rolling over on my feet and begging for a belly rub. His mama is just as affectionate. One of the reasons we wanted a pup from that litter.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

As long as you can feel his ribs when you run your hands down his sides, I wouldn't worry about weight.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

I've found doubling at four months to be fairly accurate for an adult weight, even after they fill out. However, if you neuter before about 18-24 months, that can skew things a bit or a lot, depending on the dog.

Sam is a spitting image of his dad. And his dad's dad. Etc.

Linus is pretty much looks like the milkman's son.

You just never know how they will turn out.
    Last edited by Labradorks; 09-29-2015 at 12:04 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Senior Dog
    Assuming the doubling the 4 month weight thing works, I think both puppies will be a little bit bigger than Chloe (who is about 63), but they should still be less than 70. As for looking like a grandparent, my daughters were looking at some old pictures yesterday and very excitedly said “we found a picture of an older Cookie”. I went to see and it was a picture Chloe’s breeder had sent me years ago of her dogs - the dog they were referring to was probably about 6-7 months in the picture and was the spitting image of Cookie. It was Chloe’s mother (Cookie’s grandmother)!
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I have always heard to double the weight at 4 months for an approximate adult weight. I have found that to be true to get their approximate 12 month weight but for boys, (that is mostly what I have had and remember!), they continue to fill out and build muscle and bone mass for up to 2+ years. It has meant my boys have been heavier by their 3rd birthday. Maxx is definitely a 90+ lb boy of solid muscle. He also has a very heavy coat which makes him look even bigger, many guess by 10 lbs! Often people are shocked when they put their hands on him and find he is not fat!

And absolutely, they can look like their grandparents. Maxx does look almost exactly like his dad, big old head and all. Genetics are funny, you never know where a trait will show up!
    Do they continue to fill out even after they've been fixed, or does it kind of mess things up like Labradorks said? We'd like to fix him either at the end of this year or early next year

Quote Originally Posted by CraftHer View Post
    Does he look like the mailman's dog? Just kidding

At 18 weeks, Mocha was 58 pounds. Now, at 2 years, he's about 106 pounds at 28" tall at the withers. He's a big boy but we'd like to get him on the lean side at about 100 pounds.

This website was a bit over. Find Out Your Puppy's Adult Weight | Puppy Chart It estimated Mocha's adult weight at 122 pounds.

I know Mocha's a big dog, but he's just Mocha. He climbs in my chair with me and I just scoot over and make room.
    LOL! I checked that website out (ty for the link) and it said roughly 80lbs (I rounded up). There's no doubt that he'll be big - I just don't want him so big that we have to move to Birdwell Island and build a giant doghouse for him! (sorry, I grew up with that show/book and that's all I can think of. The ironic part is, when he was just a little puppy during the summer and I'd nap with him next to his crate in the afternoons, I'd put on netflix and we'd watch Clifford together while I tried to get him to fall asleep. I guess he took the show literally! Lol)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    Just anecdotal evidence with my Thor. His dad is about 90 lbs, his mom 55. Thor is right in the middle, around 70-75, which is exactly where his grandpa on mama's side is. His looks definitely follow that side of the family - he is the spitting image of his grandpa in build, size, coloring, and general looks.

I think he has the personality from that side, too. When we first went to visit the breeder, Thor's grandpa came over to greet me by rolling over on my feet and begging for a belly rub. His mama is just as affectionate. One of the reasons we wanted a pup from that litter.
    I'd love to know what his grandparents looked like, but I doubt that the breeder would know (and I'd rather not contact her :P). In the litter though, Murph was the only big blocked puppy. The rest looked way more American. He looked like a cute little chubby block of chocolate!

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    I've found doubling at four months to be fairly accurate for an adult weight, even after they fill out. However, if you neuter before about 18-24 months, that can skew things a bit or a lot, depending on the dog.

Sam is a spitting image of his dad. And his dad's dad. Etc.

Linus is pretty much looks like the milkman's son.

You just never know how they will turn out.
    How much would you estimate that it affects their "end" weight? I know it affects other things, but I'm curious as to the weight. I don't remember if the vet mentioned anything about neutering and weight, but we told him that we're looking to neuter him this winter.

But, it does depend on the dog. We won't really know until next year/year and a half

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    Assuming the doubling the 4 month weight thing works, I think both puppies will be a little bit bigger than Chloe (who is about 63), but they should still be less than 70. As for looking like a grandparent, my daughters were looking at some old pictures yesterday and very excitedly said “we found a picture of an older Cookie”. I went to see and it was a picture Chloe’s breeder had sent me years ago of her dogs - the dog they were referring to was probably about 6-7 months in the picture and was the spitting image of Cookie. It was Chloe’s mother (Cookie’s grandmother)!
    That's cool! Again, I'd love to know how his grandparents looked on both sides. Murph looks a lot like his father in some instances, but the blocky head is one trait he picked up somewhere else. I guess the mailman's dog snuck in there somewhere!
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content
    In memory of Katie 3/20/94 - 2/19/07

Senior Dog
    DNA sure doesn't seem like a logical thing, does it? I know kids who look nothing like their parents but apparently are dead ringers for aunts/uncles/grandparents...or even further back.

I realize I have a "fruit salad" to compare to your basket of pure apples, but my two are mother and son. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

PinkDragon14 (10-02-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos