Thread: Woo HOOOH!

Woo HOOOH!

Finally found an obedience group that would allow us to participate. The instructor didn't get her knickers in a knot about the pinch collar or about things like no front finish. She seemed really willing to work with a field dog/handler that wanted to learn to use non-coercive means to help the dog become a better citizen.

I was concerned about putting RD in a beginner's group, not that I think she's such hot snot or anything. I was mainly afraid about other handlers having young dogs under poor control what with RD's episode of dog aggression. I told the trainer about this... totally above board about it. She ran RD through some stuff and agreed that her skill level was appropriate for the intermediate group. (Mind you... this is not real OBEDIENCE obedience. This is about helping her listen, focus and follow instructions with distractions. If it were really OBEDIENCE obedience, she would certainly not be in an intermediate group.)

I expect this could be fun for both of us. That said, it's kinda weird being a student with an instructor that could be my grand-daughter. Sheesh. It sucks to be old.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-28-2015), barry581 (09-29-2015), Jollymolly (10-21-2015), Meeps83 (09-29-2015), POPTOP (10-08-2015)

It really was a lot of fun. No dog aggression at all. Until...

We were exiting the training area, and someone had a huge (we're talking water-buffalo-huge) pit bull lugging it's owner right at us, and the dog got smack up into Rocket Dog's face. She gave a quick growl. I told her to heel and we walked away without any problem.

So... I think we're making progress. The class, I think is going to be really good for both of us, answering some of the questions I have worried about with RD.

So glad you found a good class for both of you.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Thanks. I am currently 270 miles from home taking care of my mother who has been ill. I really want to work on our "homework", but oh well.

I am still 270 miles away from home and won't be able to go to class. But my husband is stepping up and taking RD to class for me. I wish I could be a fly on the wall. This is really a good thing for both of them.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

barry581 (10-18-2015), Jollymolly (10-21-2015), Meeps83 (10-18-2015), windycanyon (10-19-2015)

Senior Dog
    I am glad that RD is enjoying her classes. When we talk we always encouraged the partner to get involved with the training. Also had the kids in the family handle the dog as well. That way everyone was on the same page. These were strictly pet classes so that the dog fit into the family.
    Hope your mom is OK.

I'm still here in California and mom is getting better in little increments which is fine. You don't do anything in one fell swoop (or is it one swell foop... whatever) when you're in your 90's. But the hubby took Rocket Dog to class and apparently the lesson plan was about "get on your bed" (which for us is "PLACE") from a distance, then they gave the dog distractions (throwing toys around, I guess). He says RD was distractable, but overall did pretty well.

Once again, the mixed breed kinda-lab-like black dog was not under good control and was all about sniffing RD's butt and she does not like it. She has had issues with "dog aggression" in the past and we've really worked on that. So, in no way is RD initiating anything. She has an upbeat, attentive, tail-waggy attitude in the class, but when this dog gets in her space, she gets tense, and if he goes behind her she takes her stand. No snapping, no biting... but she gives him a firm brush-back.

I think she has come a long way since last spring, and part of the reason for doing the class was to get her around other dogs. I guess if nothing else, we are getting a feel for what her tolerance is. Strange dogs... getting behind her... she doesn't do well.

My brother is flying here from Florida to further help mom with here recovery. So I should be able to get back to class and working on our "homework".

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos