My husband deserves a medal.

A few months ago, we tried a seven course tasting menu at a Japanese French restaurant on a Groupon. Course five was head cheese. It's OK, I said to my husband, we have another Groupon at a normal restaurant. We can try again.

It took us a month to get in. Then we got a 5:30 pm reservation on a Monday night. I was very excited. Our attempt at fine dining would succeed at last.

We went. We ate. They gave us not seven courses but ten. Each and every one was one to five bites. It was all delicious. The variety was fantastic. We got fresh silverware for every single course. Sounds great, right?

Five hours. We walked into our house five hours after we left. I saw a sitcom once where this happened and thought it was hilarious. This was not funny. After the fourth course, my husband was keeping score. He was so tired. I asked if he wanted to leave but he stuck with it. I invited him to take a nap. Poor guy. He stayed awake the entire time. We have four dogs, own a business together, have hobbies and lead very active lives. We stopped talking three hours in because we ran out of topics. Holy cow. I'm cured. Never again. Tasting menus, my backside.

well at least you went, you tried, you conquered yeah! LOL
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

You are much smarter than me then, it took me two visits. To the same restaurant yet, and no coupon. Both times it was a group from work. The courses were not bite size, they were big enough for a full meal. Wine included. At one point I went to the washroom and got sick, then went back and ate less of each but I ate more. I had to stay, I was the driver.

I've tried tasting menus several times at different places. I usually hit the wall at some point and feel like if I have to swallow one more bite of food, I'll throw up. My dining companions can generally eat everything and not feel like walking death and my spousal unit is happy to eat anything I cannot. It helps to know what you're walking into ahead of time but will I keep going? You bet!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos