Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Fun with shaping!

So, I'm new to using shaping as a training method, but for the last week have been spending just a little time every evening playing the "101 Things to do with a Box" game with my lab. I don't have a goal for him to learn anything specific, and just mark and reward whatever he does with the box just to encourage him to think independently, and to get creative with his ideas. Because he isn't used to this, he gets a little stuck, and will sometimes just start rapidly offering behaviors in attempt to figure out what I'm rewarding. So, last night, he got a reward for putting his head in the box. He then looked at me and spun in a circle, sat, laid down, rolled over, stood up, then did what we call the "itch" trick where he uses his front paw to do what looks like scratching an itch on his nose. However, in all his excitement, he does the itch trick fast, and rather sloppy, so his paw slides off his nose, and on the way down he kicks the box across the floor. Well, he touched the box... so I marked it, rewarded it and threw a little party, he then races over to where he kicked the box, kicks it again, and runs back for his reward. He raced back and forth kicking the box and getting his treat several times, then raced back, BUT turned around and kicked at the box with his back feet. He just looked at me withthat labby smile as if he was thinking "now what do you think of THAT?!" Of course that earned a big reward, but even before the reward came, I knew he was just sooo thrilled with himself... I was pretty thrilled too though! It might sound small, but really that was a big step of thinking outside the box for him (pun intended-- hahaha)!

So now I'm wondering what silly little things other dogs may have done while working with shaping, and for anyone else who hasn't tried it yet, I so encourage trying, because it has just been so fun for me and for my dog!

So much fun!

Linus takes the empty TP roll off the holder (it's a c-shaped holder - so open on one side) and I'm thinking of teaching him how to put a full roll back on. I also like teaching touch with blue painter's tape! It's great for go outs and for teaching to close drawers, cupboards and doors and whatever else is along those lines.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

K10 (09-29-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    So much fun!

Linus takes the empty TP roll off the holder (it's a c-shaped holder - so open on one side) and I'm thinking of teaching him how to put a full roll back on. I also like teaching touch with blue painter's tape! It's great for go outs and for teaching to close drawers, cupboards and doors and whatever else is along those lines.
    Lol! That sounds very useful! Btw, I tried to pm you earlier, but your inbox was full!

Quote Originally Posted by K10 View Post
    Lol! That sounds very useful! Btw, I tried to pm you earlier, but your inbox was full!
    Whoops! I just emptied it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

K10 (09-29-2015)

I like shaping too.

Hemi is the master of Shaping. It is one of the badges from Dog Scout he has, The Art of Shaping.

He learned how to Paint.

Do Pilates and be my workout partner.

Oh and play toy piano.
    https://s1251.photobucket.com/user/bo...l?sort=3&o=149

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

barry581 (10-02-2015), K10 (09-30-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I like shaping too.

Hemi is the master of Shaping. It is one of the badges from Dog Scout he has, The Art of Shaping.

He learned how to Paint.

Do Pilates and be my workout partner.

Oh and play toy piano.
    https://s1251.photobucket.com/user/bo...l?sort=3&o=149
    Beautiful!!!

I don't understand this at all. Can someone explain it (or point me to a good source)?

Jeff that pic of Hemi sitting on the ball is just about the funniest thing I've ever seen!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
    I don't understand this at all. Can someone explain it (or point me to a good source)?
    Just Google "Dog Shaping". You'll get a lot of good information!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

K10 (10-02-2015)

I did search it, but I'm still not sure I understand what it is. I mean, lots of websites, but I'm a bit confused (I'm a researcher by profession, and tend not to really trust websites as good sources of information). What I can find makes it seem strangely arbitrary, which I am sure it is not.

Any good books about this that can be recommended?

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos