Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar

Cool foods / hot foods

Periodically, the topic of Eastern health and food theory has come up. Some of us pay attention to "cool foods" vs "hot foods".
    This is the best little chart I have found so far. This was in a brochure at a local pet food supplier here.

-image-2825007961-jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LucyTudeOn4Feet For This Useful Post:

Blackboy98 (09-30-2015), Labradorks (09-29-2015), SunDance (09-30-2015)

Yes, but, how do you determine which your dog needs or would benefit from? When Oban was so sick a year ago the new Vet said he needed warm or neutral foods to aid in digestion. Yet he is a hot dog. He suffers more in the heat than any dog I've had before. To say her recommendation surprised me is putting it mildly.

I wish all the lists were the same too. Beef is "cool" on a number of lists. So is sweet potatoes. Turkey neutral. Jack has seizures which is an internal over-heating. I feed him beef/rabbit. No seizures. He didn't have them for over a year eating bison, back on chicken, seized within a week....

Yeah I was curious about the cool food hot food thing when it was brought up a long time ago before the forum crash. I kind of just threw it out the window. Like Jen said every list of that I see is different. There are big inconsistencies on them. The last one I looked at, Venison was Hot food, or maybe it was cool food. Duck was Hot food or maybe cool food, I just remember they were opposite ends. Beef was somewhere in the middle. Hemi does great on those 3 proteins which cross the entire spectrum.

So I am not sold on the idea. The lists are all over the board an then with Hemi nothing seems to follow in the supposed pattern.

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    I don't know about different lists, I guess I haven't seen that. This one corresponds with the what our holistic vet told us several years ago. We went by the advice of him, to feed cool. I don't know that I would decide too much on my own, really, because I think it's all in response to a problem area that would be specific to the animal. Like in Oban's case, if you trust the vet, and it makes sense for his symptoms, and you have good results, then, there you go. If you're not seeing the results, or it doesn't make sense to you, it would be like the advice of any traditional vet, right? Some are better than others, some seem to know more in particular areas, but may fall short in others, it seems.
    This was of particular interest to me, because I'd kind of gotten away from it, and fed Lucy crock pot chicken and vegetables for her dinners most of the week, figuring that home cooked was better than kibble, and dang, she had a really bad seizure. So this caught my eye when I saw it in the store.
    We stick with beef as a neutral, and fish-based for kibble choices, as a rule. Mostly when I'm in the store, I forget - which is duck or venison, etc., so I just purchase the ones I can remember, and she doesn't get any variety from that very often.

I do think it works, once you find what specifically works for your dog. I can't feed chicken as a main protein, but if it's in biscuits or we feed some left overs from dinner, THAT doesn't bother Jack.

From what I've read, it seems that the "hot food" is used for digestive problems, even if the dog is traditionally considered mostly hot. As in people, no one dog is is considered 100% of one or the other.

Just my opinion. If your holistic vet recommends one or the other, and it's working (which it seems to be with Oban), then I'd be sticking with his/her advice.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

We aren't paying attention to it now. It was just for Oban's recovery that we used it. I did have a list, not sure where it is now, but I could not feed him a couple of things I formerly did regularly and he really liked. One was sweet red pepper, it was a no, no. He used to get bits for a treat.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos