Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    House Broken

And Skeena Turns 3. Freeze time now, please.

Today is Skeena's 3rd birthday. Wow.

I had always wanted a black lab puppy, after having one as a kid. It wasn't until my 30s that we had the home and time to bring one into our lives.

We didn't know any better, so we went with the same "breeder" as a friend of ours. Now I know it was a back yard breeder, but back then I did not have the knowledge of the Lab Board. The day we met the 19-day old puppies we knew we were getting one. We got "pick of the litter."

We returned a few weeks later to visit with the pups. We had two black boys to pick from, out of a litter of 9 (6 chocolate and a black girl runt). There was one we nicknamed "Chubbs" and "the other one." I think this moment is when we fell for "the other one." (We can tell it's Skeena from the bit of brindle on his paws.)

We read some Cesar Milan, we thought we were ready. We listened to easy listening on the way home after picking him up and didn't wear sunglasses so he could see our eyes. We thought we were ready. We had a large crate, a small crate, a selection of stuffed toys. We thought we were ready. It's just a puppy, right? How hard could that be?

We weren't ready. Skeena was a biting terror. I cried. I worried I couldn't be a lab mom. All the stuffies died horrible, eviscerated deaths. I thought maybe I couldn't do it. But I went back to remembering I wanted this; I asked for this; we paid a lot of money for this. Maybe I deserve this? Let's stick it out.

The first months were the hardest. But then I found the Lab Board. Then, things started to turn around. Skeena wasn't evil. Skeena didn't have a personal vendetta against my Lululemon pants and Ugg boots, he was just being a lab puppy. The wounds would heal, and Skeena would learn.

Skeena's mischievous nature started to come out. Skeena liked to play. Skeena likes to get dirty. We learned we need to keep towels in our car at all times. We learned that Skeena will simultaneously make people laugh at loud at his antics and also be grateful the dirtiest dog in the park isn't coming home with them. I was happy to take him home with me.

And then Skeena turned 1 and we knew the worst was behind us.

Years 1-2 were a constant adventure. Skeena was getting adventurous off-leash - who can forget the magical forest bread incident? Skeena can't.

Skeena and us were falling so in love that we loosened our "never-going-to-have-a-dog-on-the-bed-rule" and let him up for some group sleeps. Now, this is how he asks us every night. How can you say no? (Answer: take your glasses off so you can't see the pleading).

There have been a few ups and downs... the "surgery" (that still was "my idea") and an unfortunate run-in with a poorly trained German Shepherd. At least Skeena looks good in a cone.

Now buddies, Skeena and my husband can watch TV together without fear of imminent scratching or biting.

Skeena is tolerant of his mom dressing him up for random occasions - as long as there are treats involved. Skeena fell in love with being off leash and immersing himself in any form of pond, lake, ocean, puddle, ditch, or mud trough. He loved to see if something was food by eating it anyways, and if he threw it up, well, all the better to eat it again.

Skeena turned two and we wondered where the evil puppy went, and were so grateful we took all the time we did to train him and help him learn. He can come camping with us, to union rallies and street markets, and is the most popular (only) dog at my workplace. He fell deeply in love with his soulmate Charlie and dreams about him frequently.

And now, the fur love of my life has turned 3. I would like to freeze time now, please. I have my perfect lab dog, the one I always wanted. Skeena comes to work with me a few days per week and works as a pseudo-therapy/classroom dog with students who otherwise wouldn't be coming to school. He walks with my mom regularly and has helped her ease into retirement. He makes me smile every day and has brought out a mothering side I never saw in myself before. He's my buddy.

Skeena, if I could write a love letter to you, I would. But you would probably just eat it. So I will show you I love you by being the best owner I can be, and trying to convince your dad to let you sleep on the bed more often. And, sorry about your balls.

2. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to maczinger For This Useful Post:

3muttsketeers (06-06-2014), ARTC (06-04-2014), barry581 (06-04-2014), bearbuddymarie (06-04-2014), BogeyBaby (06-04-2014), Carlos (06-04-2014), charliebbarkin (06-04-2014), classiq (06-04-2014), Dallas dawg (06-04-2014), dxboon (06-04-2014), EmmaJo11 (06-04-2014), Georgie (06-06-2014), Jeff (06-04-2014), kimbersmom (06-04-2014), lovemylabby (06-04-2014), LucyTudeOn4Feet (06-04-2014), Macy (06-04-2014), Marlin&Me (06-05-2014), MightyThor (06-04-2014), MikeLynn (06-04-2014), monsterpup (06-07-2014), MontananDakota (06-04-2014), MySprockette (06-04-2014), OHfemail (06-05-2014), POPTOP (06-04-2014), Scoutpout (06-04-2014), SnapV (06-04-2014), Tammy (06-04-2014), Tanya (06-04-2014), Tilly (06-06-2014), voodoo (06-04-2014), Waylons_Mom (06-04-2014), ZRabbits (06-04-2014)

Oh, very very sweet. I remember some of those photos and reading some of his past antics. (Wasn't Skeena the lab who scattered garbage over two flights of stairs?)
    I so miss the Charlie and Skeena exchanges.
    Well, Happy Birthday Skeena! Your mom is right. You have grown up to be an exceptional lab.
    Hidden Content

Murphy at Carmel Beach

Born 5/1/05
    Found his forever home 1/21/12

House Broken
    Oooo - good memory! That one is etched in Skeena's past.... Skeena activating his power - YouTube

Happy Birthday Skeena!!!!!!!!

I love the timeline ...and the bread photo.

Love it! Three is a magical age!

Happy Birthday Skeena!!!
    and many happy returns

Mike&Mel

P.S. Those are great photos; wonderful memories
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Happy 3rd birthday Skeena!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Big Brother and Sister to:
    Leila Claire Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Happy Birthday!!!

Happy Birthday Skeena! What a handsome young fella! I know what you mean about freezing time. I wish time froze for us when Cookie was 4 or 5. It flies unbelievably fast!

PS. The cakes are amazing. Do you make them yourself? Cookie's birthday is approaching so I would appreciate some input!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Happy 3rd Birthday Skeena.
    Kathy--mom to:
    Mac--chocolate lab
    Scotty--Arabian gelding

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses.
    (Herman Melville Redburn)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos