Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Worse

Getting Worse

I know some of you have followed and commented on another thread I had regarding some pain issues with my girl Mia. We got a diagnosis yesterday of 2 slipped discs. In the last 36 hours her condition is MUCH deteriorated. Does anyone have experience with Methocarbamol/Prednisone combination of meds? I'm taking her back in tomorrow morning, but shouldn't she be getting better? She won't eat and has had very little to drink. She won't move unless she has to, she has blood tinged urine, and she is extremely lethargic. I know the Methocarbamol is a muscle relaxer, but she pretty much refuses to move and she is very unsteady on her feet. Please send good mojo for her!

PM Kimbers mom. Kimber suffered a significant spinal injury years ago and I am sure she can be of great help to you. The only other suggestion I have is to get some Tramadol from the vet for pain, ASAP and give it around the clock. Have your vet show you how to give fluids sub-q also. I am so sorry your sweet Mia is having such an awful time. ((((hugs))))
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Sending you and Mia the best thoughts for a speedy recovery, hopefully this is just a blip whilst she is adjusting to the meds, take care

No experience with that pain med combo. What does your Vet say about the blood tinged urine? Jet was on Dexamethasone, lots of it.

I have not had to try those but a pain reliever does sound like it might be in order for the short term until the inflammation is reduced and the muscle relaxers can take effect. I, too, would be concerned about the blood tinged urine, especially if it started after the meds started. So sorry Mia is not feeling better yet.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (10-03-2015)

Senior Dog
    I am so sorry to hear about your Mia.

Has your Vet suggested Cold Laser Therapy for dogs? I don't now if this would apply in this case...
    but it is certainly worth asking about it.

I hear that this will give amazing results for pain management.

Good thoughts for her...

Senior Dog
    I'm so sorry to hear Mia's in pain. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the medications you mentioned. The working hypothesis for Kimber is that her backbone popped up and hit her spine, causing some permanent nerve damage. We're extremely lucky that the residual pain has been manageable with 50 mg of Rimadyl per day. I also take her to get a chiropractic adjustment and acupuncture once a month. We have tried laser treatments but it didn't seem effective for Kimber's condition. I'm not knocking laser at all; I think with nerve injuries different dogs respond to different treatments.

I missed your original post; are you working with a rehab vet? Poor Mia.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Sending arms full of lab board MOJO, many prayers and calming thoughts for you and MIA.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

Poor sweetie! Sending healing prayers.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

No experience that we could share, no useful advice we could give, but we're sending A LOT of good thoughts for Mia, hoping that you soon find a way to solve the problem. Paws&Fingers crossed. M&M
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos