Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    House Broken

Çilek's eyelid operation

Hi everybody,

Çilek had a surgery on her eyelid 1 month ago. There was a growth on her eyelid and it was getting bigger. So I decided to have it removed.
    Previous thread is here possible operation

Now I'm so sad because there is a problem.
    The growth is removed by cauterisation. Literally, burning the tissue. Everything went well. There was just a small red wound on her eyelid. I gave her oral antibiotics for 5 days and eyedrop. To make it short, her eye did not heal completely and get worse in the last few days. I took her to the vet today. They said that there is a wound on her cornea. It is visible, blurry and red, but I did not see it. I was paying attention to the eyelid. Size is similar to the size of a green pea, not 3 dimentionals, 2D.

Vet asked me if she scratched it. I said no. I'm 99% sure that she did not. He asked if cats did it. Again I'm sure that no. Because I did not let her to get close with cats during recovery. Cats are living in the backyard, stray cats, I'm just giving them food.
    Çilek is very calm, very mellow. She is nearly 11 years old not moving much. It is nearly impossible for her to bump her eye somewhere.
    I really don't think that this thing happened at home. Of course I can't be 100% sure about it.

I don't know. This damage on her cornea might have been occured during the operation and then got worse. I don't know. This makes me sad. She had this operation to be better. Now her eye is worse. She has pain. Her new eyedrop hurts a lot. She can't open her eye most of the time.

And the thing is if somehow she scratched it I'm still angry with the vet. Because after the operation I asked for an E-collar. He said there is no need.
    She is wearing an E-collar now.

She started oral antibiotics again. And I need to apply eye drops every 2 hours at least for 10 days. I will do whatever she needs but I'm nervous. I'm afraid of her loosing the eye and to have pain for long time.

Here she is:

-photo-jpg

So sorry. Poor Cilek has been through a lot.

Sending healing prayers.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

capra (10-03-2015)

Poor girl! A couple other pups have had lumps removed from their eyelids recently. I think they had cones while recovering, too. I hope she starts feeling better soon.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

capra (10-03-2015)

Senior Dog
    Oh, gosh, Oya..I'm so sorry to hear this. Your sweet girl looks so uncomfortable. Sending good thoughts that it will resolve itself with the care that's been prescribed and that she won't have any more issues.

(Hope you're doing well!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

capra (10-03-2015)

I'm really sorry to hear that, and you're right - she had the surgery to get better, not worse; this is so unfair. We're sending all the good thoughts we have for Çilek to get better soon. M&M
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

capra (10-03-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Oh, gosh, Oya..I'm so sorry to hear this. Your sweet girl looks so uncomfortable. Sending good thoughts that it will resolve itself with the care that's been prescribed and that she won't have any more issues.

(Hope you're doing well!)
    Thank you Barb.
    Yes, she is uncomfortable Light hurts her eye too so I'm sitting in the dark. I hope the antibiotics will help soon. Luckly she is sleeping most of the time.

I'm well by the way.
    Tilya had an operation too. There was a growth on her left side, they removed it and she had a tooth filling. She is very well, no complications, no problems thank God.
    I told them these were the last operations, so they will be careful to not to have any other health problems Too much stress for all of us.

Both of them:
    -photo-1-jpg
    Last edited by capra; 10-03-2015 at 05:02 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to capra For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (10-03-2015), Mollysmomma (10-05-2015), Scoutpout (10-04-2015), smartrock (10-03-2015), SunDance (10-04-2015)

Puppy
    I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. Corneal abrasions manifest quickly. I hope she heals soon. Sending healing thoughts your way.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pitrpatr8paws For This Useful Post:

capra (10-04-2015)

Oh no. Anything to do with eyes is extra worrisome. Poor girl, I hope this is something that will heal right up quickly. And Tilya's side too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

capra (10-04-2015)

I'm so sorry you're poor girl has to go through this. Can your vet refer you to a canine ophthalmologist? I used to have Boxers and they are prone to corneal abrasions. The thing that helped their eyes the most was drops made out of their own blood. I don't remember what it was called but the eye doctor took blood and spun it somehow and made a serum. It was light pink and I had to keep it in the refrigerator. My dogs got some pretty frightening looking eyes and the serum always worked like magic. I would ask about it.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

capra (10-04-2015)

I hope she gets past this and heals up soon.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

capra (10-04-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos