Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Slight loosening of bowel control- help me control my panic

At the vet's today, I mentioned that Kimber had been having occasional anal leakage when sleeping. I couldn't tell whether it was fecal or not, so the vet expressed Kimber's glands. She said the right one was fine but the left one was, in the vet's words, "well, not the worst I've ever seen, but it ranks pretty high." She also warned me that the expressing would probably kickstart Kimber's urge to poop- but as soon as the left gland was expressed, poop followed. The vet said that indicated Kimber doesn't have total control over her bowels.

This makes me so sad. Kimber's 10 and full of smiles and labby love and labby drive, but she's 10. Her back end is atrophying even with regular exercise, and now the bowel control. The vet didn't seem overly concerned- she said we'd see how things were at the appointment next month- and said these things happen even without a spinal injury. I'm super grateful for every day we have with her, but I tear up just thinking we're entering the sunset phase.

These signs of aging don't mean the end is very near, right? She can still walk miles, and the leakage is occasional. I need some reassurance that we still have time with our pup.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

It's tough when age related problems start. Melody had the same problem; she did have lower spinal arthritis. Tramadol helped. I'm not sure in Kimber's situation.

Sending mojo and good thoughts.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    It's tough when age related problems start. Melody had the same problem; she did have lower spinal arthritis. Tramadol helped. I'm not sure in Kimber's situation.

Sending mojo and good thoughts.
    Luckily, the Rimadyl seems to alleviate much of her pain. But she could go on at this state for a while, right? It doesn't necessarily mean she'll decline rapidly?
    Hidden Content

Emma is 10 and has spinal and hip arthritis. What you are experiencing is something the vet warned me about at her last check up. He said it is something that can go on for years and not to be overly concerned if it starts. (He knows I am a complete mess when anything even looks funny with my dogs!) As long as Kimber is happy, eating, wagging her tail and enjoying life try to focus on each day you have together. It is obvious you love her very much, I hate that you are sad thinking about the end. Hang in there. ((((hugs))))
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (10-07-2015)

Adding fibre might help bulk up the stool so she feels the urge coming better. Ask your Vet. Jet did have sspinal injury and this is what our Vet suggested and it did help. We did not know about pumpkin back then so went to a weight loss diet. It helped but her lovely coat suffered. Now I know about sweet potato as well and if it was me I'd try that. Lower calorie content than pumpkin if you match the fibre content and you'd need to add a smaller amount over all. We also, on Vet's advice, tried Imodium. It worked too.

Jet was on strong painkillers too. We were never sure which was the cause of the faecal incontinence, the nerve damage or the painkiller reducing sensation. You might think, we did, that the painkiller would also affect the urinary tract but it was fine. Thank heavens as urinary incontinence is much messier and harder to deal with than faecal.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    It is obvious you love her very much, I hate that you are sad thinking about the end. Hang in there. ((((hugs))))
    Good thoughts and hugs from me and Ram as well. Actually, Ram wanted to send a cuddle but he didn't want Kimber to think he's too needy, but it's always available.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    Luckily, the Rimadyl seems to alleviate much of her pain. But she could go on at this state for a while, right? It doesn't necessarily mean she'll decline rapidly?
    Mulder had mild poop incontinence for a few years (arthritis) prior to losing him. It’s quite common in older dogs and doesn’t mean the end is nigh, although 10 is a bit young to be starting it. I want to say he was around 13 when he started and it did get worse over the years, but he made it until a month short of 16.

Edited to add - after reading Snowshoe’s post, I’m not sure that added fiber helped him realize he had to go, but it did keep everything nice and firm and easy to pick up (we used a bit of pumpkin). Having dealt with both in old dogs, I’d MUCH rather deal with fecal incontinence than bladder. And in my guys, bladder incontinence only came at the very end.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Thanks, all! Her stool is firm, but I'll ask my vet about pumpkin/sweet potato additions.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    Thanks, all! Her stool is firm, but I'll ask my vet about pumpkin/sweet potato additions.
    Jet's stool was firm too. It just got a little more firm.

Senior Dog
    She ate- literally- half a box of sweet potato/chicken treats at the vet's, so I'm sure Kimber would approve.
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos