Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Got bit for the first time

My dog loves to catch things that we do not want her to catch in her month, like socks, paper tissue, slippers.... She wants us either to chase her for fun or she will drop it to trade for a treat as a prize. Today she stole a piece of tissue from the trash bin again. After I asked her to drop it for a few times, I got tired. I held her mouth and tried to force her to open her mouth so I can get the tissue out. She got pissed off and bit my left thumb quickly. My left thumb was not broken but painful. I was so shocked because I had done the same thing numerous time since she was 8 weeks old. She loves to pick up all kinds of things from the ground and I had removed tons of things from her month by forcing her mouth to open with my hand. I feel so sad that she bit me, for the first time, today. Even though she might just do it as an instinctive reaction, biting is not acceptable anyway. My husband said I should never try to grab things from her month with hand, especially when she is more mature and has some personality now compared with an innocent puppy. I feel so sad and worried now. How should we correct and avoid this situation to happen again. Should we ask for help from some trainers?

First don't ever chase her! If she does not always respond well to drop it keep teaching this by asking her to trade for a high value treat. I honestly do not think your puppy bit you to be mean, you may have hurt her while trying to pry her mouth open. If it ever happens again I would definitely work with a trainer because what you are doing obviously is not working.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-09-2015)

There are a lot of issues here...

The first is leaving things out that the dog has a habit of stealing.

The second is that you chase her down when she grabs something. Sometimes it is a game, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes you trade for a treat, sometimes you don't. The inconsistency is part of your issue.

It really, truly irks me and makes me sad when people suggest forcing a dog's mouth open and taking away something you do not want him or her to have. Sure, there are some dogs that would tolerate that and some dogs that you would only have to do that with once and they'd "learn their lesson". I have two dogs looking at me right now who would fall into that category, yet I'd never do that -- with the exception of an emergency (though I've never had to resort to this in an emergency either). However, not all dogs have the temperament to tolerate it. It can cause them to become defensive. Sometimes it scares them.

How old is your dog? Is she a puppy?

I would first manage the situation. Get trash cans with secure lids or put trash cans in a cupboard or on a counter. Put away the other items that your dog tends to steal that you don't want her to have. Provide her with plenty of exercise and training. And, work on the drop it and leave it command using treats, maybe a clicker if you're into that. She clearly does not know what that means yet.

And yes, I would suggest a trainer at this point.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (10-09-2015), Charlotte K. (10-09-2015), Tanya (10-09-2015)

^^ double ditto.

OUr bathroom waste paper basket lives in the bathtub, where Oban has not yet figured out he could really get to it if he wanted to. He also loves tissue. You have to remove those dangerous things from temptation.

I wonder if you inadvertently pinched a bit of tongue or lip when trying to retrieve the tissue? And if you need to put your hand in far enough they'll gag, prompting a reflexive jaw move that will bite anything between top and bottom teeth.

I set up training sessions that it seems would benefit you as well. I trade for something of higher value, easy when the dog has tissue. I've got so that not only is the item offered in trade, I demand the dog bring it too me. Yes, once they figure this out they will start taking things just to get a treat. At that point I ignore them but, huge caveat, Oban is not a chewer. If I don't reward by treating or chasing he just goes and lies down.

Try to make it YOU who initiates a game of chase or fetch. Sometimes when my dog acts as you describe it's because he is bored and he's right, we do need a break for a game. Try to be in control by offering to play first, so it's all your idea. Ask her to go get the toy or ball and THEN play.

Yup, trainer or group classes. Which classes are you doing now?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Totally agree with Labradorks and Snowshoe, they are spot on.

Are you sure she wasn't re-adjusting her grip on the tissue and got your finger?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-09-2015)

I agree that you need to secure your garbage cans with lids and/or keep bathroom doors closed when not in use.

Second, I would stop chasing. It becomes a fun game and could lead to the dog picking up stuff it shouldn't have to initiate the chase game.

The next thing I'd work on is a good and solid "leave it." Start with something that isn't very high value and work up to leaving high value treats. You also should work on a solid "give." Again start with low value and work up to higher value. My lab is a big mush and will let us take anything from her but my dachshund really does not like being surprised or having things snatched away. She will surrender high value things to me as long as I let her know I'm there and gently ask her to give it to me.

Lastly, even though I can reach into my dogs mouths with no issues (I'd never do it to a dog that wasn't mine out of fear it would bite me), I'd evaluate the danger of the item the dog has. It's really no big deal if the dog eats a tissue, however, something like a piece of glass or something poisonous might prompt a different reaction from me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (10-09-2015)

I force the puppies' mouths open if I have to remove something, but it's more of a curling their lip up to pinch it on their teeth until they unclench on their own. Honestly, I have to say that when I have been bitten (always on accident), I slap heads. It's instinctive, I don't think about it. Sometimes it's a backhand into a nose. It's not enough to hurt, but enough to kind of startle and shock them. The puppies are also learning "leave it" and "AH AH AH" which usually at least stops them in their tracks. Leave it usually involves removing an object and then tossing an appropriate toy to lighten the situation.

Most likely your bite was a last ditch effort to bite and grab what you were removing and your finger got in the way. Jed gets anxious when we do group cookies and he something snaps a finger instead of the biscuit which hurts just as bad since he's a strong adult dog.

Don't over think it, just work to prevent future incidents by putting things up and away.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (10-09-2015), Charlotte K. (10-09-2015), Tanya (10-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    Most likely your bite was a last ditch effort to bite and grab what you were removing and your finger got in the way. Jed gets anxious when we do group cookies and he something snaps a finger instead of the biscuit which hurts just as bad since he's a strong adult dog.

Don't over think it, just work to prevent future incidents by putting things up and away.
    This is what I was thinking - the dog maybe wasn't aiming to bite you out of frustration they just were making an attempt to grab the item. I've been "bitten" that way often (accidental and not at all what the dog wanted) especially a dog learning to tug for example (grabbing to high or going for a grab before they are given the ok and getting my fingers).

I agree with the others, the bite may have been an attempt to grab whatever you were trying to take. I lost a fingernail earlier this spring when my 9 year old dog was chewing and trying to swallow a piece of rawhide that I thought was too large. I reached in while he was chewing and got nailed. He wasn't trying to "correct" me. I just timed it poorly and reached in near his molars. I think often when a dog is trying to correct you for doing something they don't like they might give a little growl and clearly snap at you. I've had that happen, too, but not with my labs.

The biggest thing we had to learn with our labs, that we hadn't really experienced with our boxers or bull mastiffs, was that they will grab and try to eat lots of things they shouldn't, including jumping to reach things on counters or table tops. We became much more cautious about leaving things out we didn't want them to get. That's inside the house. Outside they will also pick up and try to eat pretty much any disgusting thing they find. Chasing them makes it a fun game, even if you're yelling at them while you're chasing them. You can train them not to get stuff, "leave it", or to drop things, which can be harder, "Drop it!" but both take time and practice and usually treats. I have reached into my dogs' mouths to get tissues, paper towels, cat poop, rotting dead rabbits, other disgusting stuff from outside. If it's undesirable but not likely to harm them, I just let it go and try to catch them before they grab stuff. If I have to get something out, I try to pinch their lips against their gums from on top of their muzzle. And keep paper towels, tissues, socks, etc. out of reach.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by arentspowell View Post
    I agree that you need to secure your garbage cans with lids and/or keep bathroom doors closed when not in use.

Second, I would stop chasing. It becomes a fun game and could lead to the dog picking up stuff it shouldn't have to initiate the chase game.
    Absolutely agree. H is still very young (17 weeks) and doesn't have free run of the house. She's usually in the kitchen w/ the baby gate, but even when she's out, I keep all doors closed to bathroom, guest room—anywhere I am not absolutely certain is safe. She mainly just comes and sits by me in my rocking chair, and has not yet shown interest in the trash—but I can't risk it.

And I never chase her. I think that's a bad idea. If I run away, however, she'll always come running (unless I am trying to get her into the car, in which case she finds it amusing to sit on the porch for a few minutes staring at me and then, when I least expect it, streak like a mad person into the garage.)

Lastly, even though I can reach into my dogs mouths with no issues (I'd never do it to a dog that wasn't mine out of fear it would bite me), I'd evaluate the danger of the item the dog has. It's really no big deal if the dog eats a tissue, however, something like a piece of glass or something poisonous might prompt a different reaction from me.
    Ditto. I swiped a piece of cardboard out of H's mouth last night, but she opened easily and dropped it (it was kind of annoying her, obviously). For tissue, I'd just let it be. If it were glass, metal, medicine, anything toxic—well then, yes, I'd try to get her to trade for a treat, but if there were nothing at the read, I'd force her mouth (if need be) and risk a bite. But that would only be in the "she could be seriously injured or killed by this" scenario, and it is my job not to let that happen.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos