Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

Help

I have a 11 month old female and iam having trouble with here breaking and running to play with kids, cats or what ever, when she gets to where she is going she will play and then finally after me hollering for her to come back she will. Duck season is right around the corner and I need to break this habit. This is my first lab and first time training one, any help would be appreciated!

OK. At 11 months she's had time and opportunity to learn some bad habits. You might want to post on the Hunting and Field Trial site a little further down the home page. But I need to ask some questions about the running away thing you described. Am I to understand that you're walking her outside your property without a lead on her? Or are you talking about something that happens in your house and yard?

I think for sure that everyone will tell you to knuckle down and work her a lot on obedience. And I'd strongly recommend not taking her hunting yet. She will just learn that in the duck blind, when dad's got the camo on and a gun in his hands then... wow! She's completely self-employed.

But the really great news is that there are a ton of great resources for folks who want to train a hunting retriever.

It's when we are walking and she is off a leash, it is usually just small kids and our cat that she will go to, she does good on heeling, and sitting and them all of a sudden she will just bolt, but when we are working with birds she does fine, even on blind retrieves. It seems to get better after I send her on a few long retrieves. Today when we got through working and I was putting her up I made her sit and I opened the gate to the yard I told her to kennel and she spun around and took off to the neighbors kids to paly. I just started really getting on her a couple of weeks ago, before if she would break I really wouldn't get on her cause people I talked to said don't decipline her cause she may just lay down with her being so young, like I said this is all new to me

And I think she knows she is doing something wrong cause she will be looking at me and all of a sudden spin away from me and run full blast to where she wants to go and the finally come back to me with her head down

Does your dog live in the kennel or in your home?

I'd probably keep a lead on her until you get this under control so she does not continue to self-reward and so that she is not hit by a car. It takes a long time and/or a ton of work to teach a puppy to stay with distractions. Have you worked with her on the stay outside of field work? And if so, have you introduced distractions?

The dog doesn't know what she did wrong, just that she is going to get in trouble. If she knew what you wanted, barring stress or pain, she would most likely be doing it.

She stays in our back yard, we work just about everyday on heeling, sitting and staying, I thought about a long light lead so she don't know it is there so when she does take off she can't get away from me

I don't let my dog off a leash. A friend of mine had a dog who'd completed the Master National (the best of the best) and she let him out of the car in her driveway. The dog saw a rabbit, went to chase it and was immediately hit by a truck. Instantly killed.

I would encourage you to not really let your dog off-leash. Where we live, it's against the law for them to be off your property without one. (Of course, sometimes when my dog and I are on trails, I sort of feel like it's National Dog Liberation Day! All the dogs in the county are running up and sniffing mine.) I'm probably anal about the liability issues as well. My husband is an MD and a lot of folks think that means we're rich. I worry about my dog knocking someone over and my being served with papers a week later. In our county, any injury resulting from contact with a dog (a scratch or an abrasion when you fall on your keester) is considered a dog bite.

But above all, the reason you shouldn't let your dog off leash is because she's bolting on you and she knows you can't run fast enough to catch her. I hate to be all preachy and everything. But you would feel like cr#p if anything happened to her and it only takes a split second.

I think about that every time I walk her, I was just trying to let her........I guess have her fredom I make her under stand that just because she isn't on a leash she still has to mind

To be honest, I would keep her on leash until she does understand that she has to mind. Keep a light lead on her and solidify recalls with distractions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-11-2015)

Thanks, I will do that and see what happens

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos