Thread: Diapers.

Diapers.

OK. So the shelter is pretty well stocked at the moment and they get a lot of donations during the holidays. So I'm thinking and this massive diaper promotion comes up but I've never had kids so I know nothing. I have done quite a bit of research online and am looking at 2300 diapers a year for the first year.

My first thought was, go for newborn diapers because parents need to get some sleep. Then I read online that you can't get daycare unless you provide diapers. I have also read that people try to scrape out crud to reuse the diapers which is dangerous.

If someone was going to give you diapers when your child was small and you needed to work and your housing situation was spotty, what would have been the best age (weight) to get them, if any. I can always just throw diapers at them and hope for the best but, well, I would like to have a slightly better informed decision.

Go at least one size up from newborn. Babies grow out of newborn sized within a couple of weeks, and bigger babies bypass them totally. My guess is daycare won't take a baby younger that 6-7 weeks old. The law is 6 weeks leave so baby is 6-7 weeks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bestadmom For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-13-2015)

House Broken
    Can you get a variety of sizes? Or can you only get one size? If you can get a variety, go that route cause I am sure there are babies and toddlers of differing sizes that could use them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bounty's Wife For This Useful Post:

Dividizzl (10-16-2015), janedoe (10-13-2015)

Not newborn—as above, infants grow out of these very quickly (and I wish diapers had something to do with parents getting sleep—but I assure you they do not!).

I would say get sizes 2 and 3 (usually about 12 to 18 lbs, and then 16 - 28 lbs). This will cover most babies from about 1 month to about 18 months of age.

I would also recommend (if you are so moved) buying and donating large quantities of baby wipes (for diaper changes).

What a great thing you are doing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Abulafia For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-13-2015)

Echo skipping the newborns, or less of them. And baby wipes for sure.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (10-13-2015), janedoe (10-13-2015)

Fantastic! That's exactly what I needed. I can afford six boxes for about 800 diapers and there's only one newborn so your information is invaluable. The good news is that they can pass them out individually so I can get the big boxes and they won't go to waste. Another baby is sure to come along. I'll definitely steer towards sizes 2 to 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
    Not newborn—as above, infants grow out of these very quickly (and I wish diapers had something to do with parents getting sleep—but I assure you they do not!).
    Oh, that's funny. I think I was thinking about disposable being easier than cloth. But I guess if you're up, you're up.

Yeah. We did cloth, but honestly... if you're up, you're up. And you're up a lot.

(One thing is that disposable can be changed less often, because they wick moisture away... but this actually isn't great, because then ammonia forms, and this leads to NH3 burns. But all in all, disposable would be better for families in transition.)

Yeah. We did cloth, but honestly... if you're up, you're up. And you're up a lot.

(One thing is that disposable can be changed less often, because they wick moisture away... but this actually isn't great, because then ammonia forms, and this leads to NH3 burns. But all in all, disposable would be better for families in transition.)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Abulafia For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-13-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos