Thread: Burying Bones?

Burying Bones?

My 7 year old lab just made the trip from Georgia to Colorado to our new home. The trip was a little stressful, as I expected it would be, since she's already got some anxiety issues. Due to her excessive barking when left alone, we're working on leaving her in the crate for now when we go so she feels safe and secure. She's still a bit of a whiner in there, but we're trying to battle that by giving her a special treat every time she goes in: her favorite hollow marrow bone stuffed with doggie safe PB and Cheerios, veggies, treats, or whatever else we have. She also gets a regular bone and her favorite squeaky toy.

However, she's developed this new habit where she hides the hollow bone in her crate under the blankets. She won't chew on it or eat the PB, she just noses her blankets til it's covered. And it's always only that one bone, never the regular rawhide bone or the squeaky toy.

Any ideas what this behavior might be and if it's just a new, goofy habit or something to be concerned about?

Senior Dog
    I think of that as "saving it for later". My Honey used to hide whatever bone/antler I gave her and then go steal Hershey's to chew on. I had to keep them separated...and make sure Honey was the one indoors...or else Honey's bone would never be found again and Hersh would have none.

My daughter's dog does that with toys and, when she wasn't on a diet that restricted stuffed bones, would hide them as well. She's an only dog, so there was no other dog that she was hiding it from, maybe she was hiding it from her "parents" or saving it for a famine. They just saw it as one of her endearing quirks. She was a shelter pup, so maybe some deprivation as a puppy triggered her natural instincts to hoard things. Maybe your recent move has triggered something similar. If she isn't given a stuffed bone, will she hide the other toys? I guess if she isn't chewing on that bone, you don't have to give it to her. What about putting the same filling in a Kong or other toy rather than a bone, would she hoard that also? Maybe it just makes her feel a bit more secure.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos