Thread: UTI at 8 weeks?

UTI at 8 weeks?

Does anyone have any experience with UTI's in puppies? We got our new little girl on Tuesday and everything is going great....almost. I'm no stranger to house breaking a puppy but her excessive peeing is almost impossible for me to keep up with. Will will sit outside for 20 minutes where she squats multiple times, then she will come inside and squat and pee 2 more times. It could be normal....but also when she squats she stays in the squatting position for what seems like way too long, maybe up to 30 seconds sometimes even when nothing is happening.

Our 12 yr old Dixie has had frequent UTI's in the past before and the one common symptom I'm seeing is that the puppy is OBSESSES with water. It's the first thing she wants when she wakes up and the last thing she wants before bed. When Dozie had a UTI in the past she would chug water trying to flush the infection out herself.

I am taking Teagan to the vet this morning, and I KNOW UTI's are common in female puppies, I just wanted to hear any advice beforehand to make sure I'm not just over reacting over house breaking. issues.

I guess you won't know if you're over-reacting to a normal behavior until you know if there's a UTI. Let us know what you find out! Hope it's something you can work on easily!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Mporche (10-16-2015)

I don't know. My 2 puppies peed a lot as little ones at 10 weeks. Nothing made me suspect anything was wrong although a lot of people on the Griff board I belong to talked about UTI's all the time. Puppies have no connection between their brains and bladders until about 16 weeks. They start to learn about going outside and you may get luck with a smart puppy, but most of the time they get distracted and then come in and think "gotta pee" and do. And our pups drink like water is being rationed. It's slowing down now with age.

My fear is that if you go in to the vets suspecting an UTI, chances are you WILL be leaving with antibiotics even if they haven't checked anything. But better to be safe and know.

But like I said, with my 2, and similar issues, I never jumped to that conclusion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Mporche (10-16-2015)

I've not seen a UTI that early but I sure start to really watch for it the time they start to teeth. Seems like at that point, the immune system is dipping, and maybe they've just had a round of vaccines and such to make them susceptible. IOW, it's not outside the realm of possibilities esp for a little girl who squats close to the ground and can pick up bacteria, etc very easily from the grass or dirt. If she does have one, do hold off on vaccines until you get thru the course of antibiotics or it can be a vicious circle. Also think about getting her on a cranberry supplement. Walmart has the Avo one that you can break or cut in half pretty easily for babies.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-17-2015), Mporche (10-16-2015)

I'd take a urine sample and have the vet check it, and go from there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (10-17-2015)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    I'd take a urine sample and have the vet check it, and go from there.
    Yes - no way to know otherwise. It could be that she’s just on the “more frequent” side of normal for a puppy, or that she has picked up a UTI. Just don’t let them medicate her without checking a sample first. No harm in having them do a urinalysis on her and then you can see what is going on.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-17-2015), windycanyon (10-17-2015)

My dog had a UTI at 8 weeks when I got her, so it's certainly possible. Doing a urinalysis is the best thing you can do. Even if it comes back as not a UTI, at least you'll know one way or the other.
    - LS2Erin

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    b. 12/17/12
    My rock 'n roll star.
    Hidden Content
    10/09/00 - 01/24/12
    My pride and joy, R.I.P.

UPDATE: So I'm very happy we went. They did a urine sample and sure enough there were LOTS of tiny crystals in there, so the vet said it was a pretty bad one and put her on clavamox for 14 days. Poor girl also had a stomach parasite so she's on medicine for that as well. Happy to be on the road to recovery. Thank you everyone! She loved her first check up.....puppies are so innocent and excited at the vet the first time, it's so sweet.
    -image-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mporche For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (10-18-2015), barry581 (10-18-2015), smartrock (10-18-2015), Snowshoe (10-18-2015), windycanyon (10-19-2015)

Glad you got the situation under control. While I think she's cute on the exam table, I'd still have a hand on her, to much potential for a serious injury if she falls off. Puppies move very quick.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos