Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keeping Cool in the Summer

This is Mara's first summer and on these hot and humid days she is getting overheated and uncomfortable pretty quickly ... unless she is playing in the water! What are the best ways you keep your lab cool throughout the summer heat?

-mara-9-jpg
    Soaking wet and having a blast!

-mara-8-jpg
    Can I back in the pool pleeeeeease?
    Mara 8/15/2013

Hidden Content

I soooo want a doggie pool!

but I dont want the constant mess either or the pricetag of the one i pictured!
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Dexter has a baby pool that we keep full for him to lay in. He also( much to my dismay) enjoys digging in our kids sandbox to find cool spots and rolling around

Oh how nice! Great pictures!

Yes, swimming here. This is the boys first summer on the east coast and it is quite a difference...Charlie spent last summer in MI where it was warm but nothing like this...and we lived up at the lake so he swam all day long. While so far Charlie will occasionally go outside and lay in the sun (he's like a cat), Burton is not a fan of the heat and you will usually catch him sleeping right on top of the a/c vent.

We have hardwood floors, so that helps. A gel cooler mat that mostly Burton uses. You know they are hot and don't want to be snuggly when you find them in their crates. Charlie has taken over our new leather chair, it's cooler than his dog bed, raised up, and just the right size for only one body. It swivels so he can be turned to face anywhere in the room, which I think he likes. Both boys have their tongues dragging much sooner on their walks than they used to so we have been keeping them short.

Other than that...just provide lots of fresh drinking water and wake up early or go out late when it is cooler for exercise.

Or keep going swimming and posting pictures for us :*)
    Charlie and Burton

I have been using the dog park pond daily--- but I am trying to make trips to lakes too. Daisy looooves to swim!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-2303982902-jpg  
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

I think we may have to get a kiddie pool too - Voodoo that bone one is so perfect!!

Mara rotates from the tile floor in the kitchen to the edge of the bed right in front of the air conditioner - just like Charlie and Burton haha! I've seen the cooling gel mats online and was wondering if they really work!

Katie - I love your lake picture, it looks like the perfect spot to play and cool down

Thanks for the stories and great advice
    Mara 8/15/2013

Hidden Content

Just saw this idea. This sounds cool

Keep your pets cool during hot weather. Dampen fabric chew toys with water and then freeze them or toss a few toys in a bowl, fill the bowl with water and pop it in the freezer. Your dog will have a blast trying to get the toys out of the ice and will be able to stay cool while doing it.

On hot and humid days there are plenty of breaks indoor with the AC. Keep fresh cool water always available inside and out. I have a couple of small kiddy pools and daily fill with a few inches of water for cool off breaks.

Mardi and Archie will help keep themselves cool by moving from carpeting/doggy beds to the kitchen tile floor.

House Broken
    My dogs' outside play time is early morning/late afternoon unless swimming. During the day they are chilling in the a/c.

House Broken
    Indy has a cool coat that really seems to help him. Black dogs heat up quick, and this coat reflects sun plus cools him. Clean Run: Chillybuddy Canine Cooling Jacket

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indybindy For This Useful Post:

BaconsMom (06-05-2014), WhoopsaDaisy (06-05-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos