Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

How to tell if a dog is loyal

My lab seems to love everyone. She wants to be petted by everyone she met in the street and park. Also, she loves to eat. Once a stranger gives her a piece of treat, she will have very good impression of him. We had her stay with our dog sitter once and she went along with our dog sitter very well. (Of course our dog sitter also did a fantastic job.) So I also wonder if my husband and I are special to her. Is seems she can live with everyone. My husband used to have a dog when he was very young. That dog could not stay with anyone except my husband's family members. He would not eat or drink if he was left with someone else to take care him. My husband believes this was because of this dog's loyalty. But our lab seems to be okay with anyone, especially if you give her food or treat. So does this mean our lab is not loyal to us? Even though we know that loving people is a good personality, but loving everyone seems to make us not special at all. Is this the nature of the labrador retrievers or just her? What is the story of your labs?
    Last edited by greagre; 10-19-2015 at 01:35 AM.

Senior Dog
    You can have super friendly and loyal to family, no question.

The dog your husband had when he was younger most likely suffered from anxiety, including separation anxiety.

It depends what you mean by "loyal". I think some people think loyal leads to being "naturally obedient" (like not leaving your side to explore the world, having great recall, doing things only to please their owner etc. etc.) and loving them above all else.

labs are a breed known to be social. to love strangers as though they they are their best friend and they've known them forever. Loving everyone doesn't make a dog loyal or not loyal. Your dog is still a puppy right? loyalty comes with time and proving yourself to be a loving fair owner and within the dogs personality.

your description of your husband's childhood dog is that of a very anxious nervous dog that likely had separation anxiety. that isn't healthy nor a sign of loyalty. I want my dog to maybe miss me a bit when I leave them at the dog sitters but i do not want them stressing the entire time and not eating

I believe it was in The Complete Labrador Retriever (Helen Warwick) where she wrote that a true Labrador will hang his or her hat anywhere. One of my previous Labs would live with anyone if it involved car rides and cheese. And yet, she was my heart dog.

I agree with the above posters that what you're describing was separation anxiety, and not loyalty.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (10-20-2015)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I believe it was in The Complete Labrador Retriever (Helen Warwick) where she wrote that a true Labrador will hang his or her hat anywhere. One of my previous Labs would live with anyone if it involved car rides and cheese. And yet, she was my heart dog.
    The breed originated on Newfoundland working on the fishing boats. Fishing was seasonal and the dogs would over-winter with a caretaker on the island, and then go out again with boats in the spring/summer. They wouldn’t always go out with the same boats/crew each time, so they needed to be able to go with and work with anyone. This was part of what made them so attractive to the English gentry as hunting companions - they would often have groups of people down for weekend hunts and the dogs would work with whoever was there for the weekend.

Point being, Labs were developed very early on to NOT be one-person dogs. Doesn’t mean that yours doesn’t love you more than it loves anyone else, but you can’t expect them to not go off with anyone that feeds them, LOL ... it’s just who they are.

If you want a retriever that’s not so gregarious go with a Chessie - they were bred to be more protective of their families as well as being hunting companions to a single hunter.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-19-2015), kimbersmom (10-20-2015)

My pup loves *everyone*—but she goes out of her mind to see me at the end of the day (it's like no one else exists), and if any of us walk away from her in a public place, she follows us with her eyes (and head) with concern. We are her people (as she is ours).

But she loves everyone. I want her to like people, to think they are good. I don't want her to be afraid of strangers or aggressive toward them. Indeed, we went to great lengths to socialize her fully in her early weeks—asking strangers to feed her, so strange people = good things. That's what you want in a Lab (or any dog, unless you are trying to socialize a guard dog, in which case I might recommend a nice alarm system).

As with those above: your husband's childhood dog sounds like a very anxious animal. I'd be concerned by a Lab like that

I'm guessing your husband's dog was either a different breed or a dog with anxiety.

My first Lab was so easy going, I think he could have lived with a new family every week and been fine with it. Lab puppies are typically a bit more concerned about where their owners are, and this dog was no exception, but they become more and more independent as time goes on. Fast forward to now, Sam has a most excellent Labrador temperament and would happily go along with anyone, especially if they have food and a fun dog to play with. However, when he's been scared by another dog or gotten hurt, he runs straight to mom. Linus, on the other hand, loves everyone and has successfully stayed overnight with other people, but he has a smidgen of anxiety and is more than your typical Velcro Lab. However, he just turned two and is starting to gain confidence and is getting better both due to maturity and, I'd like to think, because I've put a lot of work into him.

Dogs from rescues and shelters typically acclimate very well when moved into foster homes and adoptive homes. Or, at least as well as they did in the original home. If the dog has anxiety, unless it's managed better, is still going to have the same level of anxiety in the new home. In my experience, any type of "I care about you more than anyone else in the world" is typically shown during distress. Sometimes, it's the dog's temperament so they are often in distress anyway (such as your husband's childhood dog, it sounds like) or when a dog becomes injured or scared.
    Last edited by Labradorks; 10-19-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Tux is a certified therapy dog, and we have a few facilities that we visit regularly. He quickly makes himself comfortable and at home. I always joke with the residents we visit that he would probably be completely fine if I just left him with them when our visit time is up.

Labs are a social, friendly breed. Its a trademark of the breed. Yes your dog thinks you are special, you are her people but socializing with other humans is an absolute must for labs

My female is 6, she is a social butterfly, loves everyone she meets but she knows we are her people. Of course she could adapt with someone else, most dogs can regardless of breed. My corgi and chihuahua are also people lovers, I socialized them well to be very friendly with all people of all ages.

I was rasied with German Shepherds who are one of the most loyal breeds, they typically choose one person as there master. All of our GSD's were social and friendly when they were around other people, thats how a dog should be that is properly socialized

I agree with all of the above. I would stipulate that if anyone who didn't belong were to break into the house, I would expect all three of my labs to bark at them. Don't know if they would attack, but...

But the labs are so in the moment. When I am not able to train Rocket Dog and am leaving her with the pro for any amount of time, she exits the truck like... Oh BOY! The kennel! Wow! Ducks! Retrieves! Hey! Let's go! When I show up to take her home, she's does the same thing in reverse... Oh BOY! You're here! Let's go home! Let's play with Lee Roy (the house lab)! Let's watch some TV!

I think we all love this breed the most because of their drive to enjoy us and everything around us, to be in the moment with us. (Notwithstanding they need to be socialized and trained... but they can love that just as much.) It is their joie de vivre that makes them who they are.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (10-19-2015), lovemylabby (10-20-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos