Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bird For A Brother

Aye Mates,

On 20 November 1998 Conservation Officer James V. Spignesi Jr. was shot and killed in the line of duty while conducting a foot patrol to combat illegal deer hunting activity. C.O. Spignesi and myself were fellow squadmates and friends of over twenty years at the time. A number of Jim's Brother and Sister Officer's responded to the scene that evening, myself among those that helped carry Jim out of the woods. T'was surely the worst day of my career.

Since that dreadful night, our officer's association has worked diligently to maintain an ongoing tribute to C.O. Spignesi and we have established a yearly $10,000 scholarship at the UCONN School of Agriculture and Natural Resources Engineering of which Jim was a graduate having recieved a degree in wildlife sciences. Each year, we hold a banquet and auction to help fund this scholarship and to conduct a number of other worthy outreach initiatives as an effort to honor Jim. The auction includes a wide array of items and services including wildlife art, sevices, hunting and fishing trips, etc., and has been very successful. It will next be held on April 16th, 2016.

I have composed a rendering of an antique common goldeneye decoy to be offered as a piece of original wildlife art for the 2016 auction as a personal tribute to my Fallen Brother. I have vowed to NEVER FORGET the sacrifice made by Jim for the protection and conservation of our precious natural resources and for all those that enjoy them.

Antique Common Goldeneye Decoy. The rendering is done in mixed media (monochromatic pencil and colored pencil) on acid free archival quality drawing paper. The only colored pencil included is (lemon yellow) in the iris of the eye which immediately draws the attention of the viewer into the heart of the composition. Image size is approximately 8.5" X 4.5". Not yet completed, additional detailing will include shot holes, an anchor ring, and the drawing of Jim's retired badge # 648 onto the ballast weight on the bottom of the decoy. The piece will be signed and professionally matted and framed.

C.O. Spignesi spent a number of his earlier years as a conservation officer patrolling the waters of Long Island Sound and surely saw many goldeneyes whilst on those waters. Another common name for the goldeneye is "whistler" for the noise made by their wings whilst in flight and for those two reasons I settled on this species as an apropos pick for both Jim and myself. Another anniversary of the fateful day we lost Jim is soon approaching. We all miss ye Jim, and we have not forgotten ye Brother.

Respectfully,
    Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Senior Dog
    A beautiful and fitting tribute to your friend. Please share the completed piece with us.

Quote Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
    A beautiful and fitting tribute to your friend. Please share the completed piece with us.
    JC001,
    ROGER THAT! Thank you and will post when finished.

Regards,
    Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Yes, a beautiful tribute. I'm sorry you lost your friend, your brother.

My OH was a Conservation Officer at a time when he patrolled alone, at night and back then they didn't even have the radio backup to the OPP that they do now. It's a dangerous job.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Yes, a beautiful tribute. I'm sorry you lost your friend, your brother.

My OH was a Conservation Officer at a time when he patrolled alone, at night and back then they didn't even have the radio backup to the OPP that they do now. It's a dangerous job.
    Snowshoe,
    It wasn't until the early '70's that my department had 24 hour radio coverage. After mid-night ye were on ye own and no backup was likely coming if things went bad. It remains one of the most dangerous jobs in law enforcement.

Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

A beautiful tribute to your friend.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

A beautiful tribute.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

What a beautiful tribute. It's so hard to lose a fellow officer and brother. I too would love to see it upon completion.

Right off the top of my head, I can think of another job where as an officer you are approaching someone you know will be carrying a loaded weapon and knows very well now to use it.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Thanks to ye all!

Regards,
    Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Very touching in many ways.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos