Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More general questions! Excessive panting, peeing, and filling out?

First off, thanks to everybody on these forums for being so prompt, welcoming, and helpful regarding our new bundle of furry (not so much) joy. We are proud Teller is now a member of our family and would not trade him or his chronic zoomies for the world. I'm sure most people have seen pictures of him on other threads I have posted. I have so many questions and now feel I have a support network to finally ask them; because I've learned over the past couple of weeks with T, nobody understands if they've never owned a lab. It's refreshing to learn I just have a normal, healthy young lab. I have a few more questions, please bear with me lol!

1. Teller pants like crazy and not just when it's hot outside, when he plays, when he runs around, when he walks, just because. I've given him water and he stops to drink but resumes panting. Sometimes the panting is so rapid, it's unnerving. I know certain occasions he is anxious, like when he's bad and first gets put into his crate. But what is with this dog and panting so much? Is it normal? He's not even close to being overweight, he's not a senior, has no health problems. No other symptoms or worrying signs, just that crazy panting.
    2. He is 14 months old and still squats to pee, I've never had a male dog before but my friends have, and their dogs started lifting their legs by his age. I've only seen little dogs do that but I've read it is normal either way. It doesn't matter much, but I was wondering if anybody else's dogs do this?
    3. As I've said in my previous posts, Teller is underweight and we are trying to put weight on him. He's a field-bred lab in mind and body, so he will always be leggier and sleeker than a lot of other labs around where I live (Don't even get me started on his dental floss tail, lol). But he's just so awkward and lanky looking. He has a head and paws that are WAY too big for his frame and this itty-bitty waist. Most of what I've read about other labs that are going through the "awkward" phase are 10-12 months in age and he's almost 15 months old. Is he just a late bloomer that will gain muscle and substance as he approaches 2 years or will he look like a furry yellow skeleton with a pumpkin head forever?

Answer to #2 Great. My boy is 4 yrs olds and still "pees like a girl" Less chance of marking every tree on a walk. He will lift his leg every now and then.

Sounds like Teller is aptly named. A talker. As long as his health is fine, just train (and love) the dog in front of you.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-27-2015), doubledip1 (10-30-2015), Tanya (10-21-2015)

Yep. I have a neutered male lab that will sometimes squat to pee, and a spayed female that lifts her leg.

You could search the web for images of malnourished dogs and see what they look like. They usually have protruding hip bones, many ribs (not just the last one or two) visible, no muscle mass. Your dog is young and active, hasn't had a chance to build up a lot of fat, hasn't had a lot of athletic field training or long swims so he isn't muscled out, he has a naturally thinnish coat... he's going to look really sleek.

Your dog probably doesn't pant when he's asleep (duh) so he's just alert and excited. It's OK. Just make sure there's always plenty of water available.

I have an intact male that pees like a girl. It's ok.

He he might pant because he's hot, because he's excited, or because he's nervous. Panting might also be one of the ways he talks. We call Maverick a mouth breather because of the panting and snorting. If he's not drinking or peeing excessively, and if he doesn't act nervous, I'd guess it's a happy personality.

As as for the awkwardness, I think he'll fill out. He might be a late bloomer, or maybe not. Just take it slow and keep a close eye on his weight gain!

If he is a go, go, go type of dog, the panting is probably just him. Could be anxiety as well, which could be excitement or nerves. Some dogs, especially when they are busy and active all the time, pant a lot.

Some dogs squat, some lift their legs. I prefer a squatter. Marking is annoying (in my opinion) and frankly, depending on the dog and what they fancy peeing on, gross (again, my opinion). Count your blessings.

Maybe your dog will fill out, maybe he won't. I've seen plenty of pet-bred field types that look like they are part greyhound or pharoah hound even. And, if he can't sit still for more than two seconds, it'll probably be harder to keep weight on him. No one knows what he'll look like, so just wait and see, it's all you can do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

ZouZou (04-08-2016)

you don't know for sure he's all lab either right? he was a shelter dog? he could possibly have something else in there impacting his build. But either way, labs are willy nilly bred by random people and some lines get wonky and look less lab so who knows.

I agree with the above. Panting can be stress, "heat" (i.e. too warm), excitement, anxiety, etc.
    Many males squat. (mine does, many of my fosters did)
    time will tell. work with a vet to find his healthy weight (for him not "the breed") and take time to build muscle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

ZouZou (04-08-2016)

I thought my older dog panted a lot as a youngster for no obvious reason. We'd had 5 previous dogs so it's not like I'd never had a dog before. He was otherwise healthy so I learned to ignore it. He's 9 years old now and still pants more than my younger pup, but not as much as when he was younger. As for peeing, he sometimes lifts his leg, sometimes just leans into it. I'd be happy with more leaning and less lifting when we're on walks. I don't remember how old he was when he started lifting his leg but he was over a year old.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

ZouZou (04-08-2016)

1. Some dogs pant more than others. Bacon pants when he is excited, happy, playing, etc.

2. Bacon is fully intact (and 2 years old) and he squats about 99% of the time. He only lifts his leg if another male has marked there.

3. Bacon is 2 and still filling out. According to the breeder, her dogs usually fill out around 3. My remembrance is you have a rescue, so you cant talk with the breeder. I think your pup will continue to fill out, give him time.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

ZouZou (04-08-2016)

As for the squatting to pee, I don't mind it in the least. I've just never had a male dog before and I've only seen friends' dogs do it as puppies. Although, I met 2 young labs at the dog park and they both squatted to pee (both were intact). So maybe it's more of a lab thing?

I don't mind the panting either, I was just sort of concerned because he does it after playing and sometimes for like 20 minutes after even with plenty of water, cooler temps, etc. I don't want him getting heatstroke and I sometimes worry about any sort of genetic conditions he may have since I don't know his origins. Speaking of, is there any way the vet can test him for any hip, elbow, eye, etc. problems that affect large breeds? He doesn't show any indicators now, but I just want to know he is as healthy as possible.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos