Molly is having nightmares

Since Molly was attcked she has been having nightmare almost every night. Once she was wet so I gather lost her blader during the nightmare. Anyone delt with this before I really want to help her. It usaly is her wimpering and crying and shifting alot. I made the mistake of waking her once and having her growl at me. Glad I was talking to her and petting her from the back end. For now I am trying to wake her by voice only.

Worried mom

We have not dealt with anything like. Praying you find the answer for sweet Molly.
    Last edited by sparky; 10-21-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (10-21-2015)

Maybe contact a dog psychologist. I know our training facility has one on staff, but also the local university (especially if they have a school of veterinary medicine) will probably have one willing to talk to you. Especially since you want to use her for a service dog I'd be extremely proactive in getting it figured out before it gets worse.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (10-21-2015)

I don't know enough about dog psychology to say if this is a problem or not, certainly waking up having lost bladder control does sound concerning. I would also say, however, that I've had dogs who whine, yip, twitch and look like they might be running while they're asleep and none have been attacked in the manner Molly was. Waking a dog during a dream can result in behavior they normally wouldn't display during the day including growling or snapping. There's a reason for the saying "let sleeping dogs lie". I'm also not certain you must wake dogs out of dreams, since dreaming is a normal phase of a sleep cycle. I guess check with your vet if you're concerned.

Can Dogs Have Nightmares? - Terribly Terrier

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (10-21-2015)

House Broken
    May want to think about first going to vet if she's peeing while she's sleep.
    If you live near Houston, you may want to call Debbie Oliver at Miss Daisy's Dog Camp (Tomball TX) to see if she has any suggestions on a psychologist.
    She is a dog behaviorist.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TXLabLover For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (10-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by TXLabLover View Post
    May want to think about first going to vet if she's peeing while she's sleep.
    If you live near Houston, you may want to call Debbie Oliver at Miss Daisy's Dog Camp (Tomball TX) to see if she has any suggestions on a psychologist.
    She is a dog behaviorist.
    My thought was this as well, peeing in sleep could be a physical problem should could be in pain and why she is crying in her sleep and waking up disoriented. I would consult with a vet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (10-21-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos