Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Unhappy Sunnie's in a cone

My poor neurotic girl who is afraid of the Elizabethan collar is once again wearing one.

When I let them out in the backyard yesterday afternoon, they raced off to the shed as their first stop...Sunnie trailing a bit since I let Dan out first so that they don't collide into one another and cause a scuffle.

Well, Dan must have raised his head as Sunnie arrived or else just started traveling to the other side in front of her. I heard a minor yelp and thought nothing of it...not an infrequent occurrence when there's a collision.

About a minute later, I looked up as Sunnie walked toward where I was doing what I'd intended to do out there and saw her making weird mouth/jaw movements. As I was checking for something maybe caught in her teeth (she's a grass eater...I figured a piece of grass), I noticed about 1/4" of canine tooth sticking out through the lower part of her upper lip. Great.

Race inside, call vet, get out of grubby backyard clothes...Bob arrived home at that moment from his dental appointment...and off we go.

She was sedated for the clean-up/stitches and now has to wear the dreaded cone until Nov. 2 when the stitches come out. And my wallet has $530 less in it. I've learned to not flinch when this expensive clinic announces the bill...but, ouch!!! At least I had my own cone. Wish I'd had some Rimadyl in the house so that I wouldn't have had to pay what's basically about $6.50 per pill for the pleasure of getting it there.

She hates the cone...something weird touching her, making the dreaded velcro noise, moving with her and then hitting the floor because she'll walk with her head down while wearing it (at least for the first few days). But we can't take the chance that she'll paw her face or rub on something. (She'd actually dislodged her lip herself by the time we loaded her up into the car...I stopped her from pawing when I saw her do that but figured that's how she got the tooth to back out. I hadn't been able to pull the lip down when I tried.)

Danny had no visible marks from her tooth...didn't think he would...but I did find an attached tick while I was looking. When I felt it, I first thought it was one of those little tufty bumps that whiskers grow out of on the side of the face near the ear. But Danny also hates Sunnie's cone and won't stay in the same room with her while she's wearing it.

The vet used bright pink thread for the outer stiches. Sunnie hates pink.

Ugh, poor girl! I hope she heals up quickly. Oh, the fun and misfortune of having 2 active dogs.

I didn't have my glasses on when I first looked at the various threads and I thought it said Sunnie was in a coma. Whew! Glad it wasn't that!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

SunDance (10-22-2015)

Oh no, what a freaky thing to happen. Poor Sunnie. It's too bad she hates the cone so much and the other kind certainly would not work in this instance. That's a long time to have to wear it too.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

SunDance (10-22-2015)

Oh shoot, the dreaded cone. Hope the time passes quickly for Sunnie.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

SunDance (10-22-2015)

I hope she gets better soon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

SunDance (10-22-2015)

Ah, poor Sunnie! The things that happen at times amaze me.

Sending healing prayers. Hang in there Sunnie, it will be all healed up soon.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

SunDance (10-22-2015)

Senior Dog
    Poor Sunny .... I’m dreading Chloe being in a cone next weekend and how the puppies will react.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

SunDance (10-22-2015)

Poor Sunnie! I can not imagine having Emma in a cone, her personality sounds a lot like Sunnie's, it gives me the shivers thinking about it! Sending good thoughts the time passes quickly and Sunnie heals well.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

SunDance (10-22-2015)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    I didn't have my glasses on when I first looked at the various threads and I thought it said Sunnie was in a coma.
    Hah...she may as well be...she has a definite lack of enthusiasm when she's wearing it and doesn't move unless she thinks there's food or a walk (necessitating the removal of the cone).

And she discovered that if you are wearing the cone and go through a doorway and hit the cone just right against the door jamb you can split the cone all the way from the outer edge to the inner edge...necessitating either some fancy work with duct tape or the use of another cone. I still had Baffle's cone...same size but I needed to find my sticky-backed velcro to make the closure smaller. And made a mental note to not let her think she's going out the door with the cone on...or else I'll be readjusting Danny's cone in reverse since that's the only other one I have.

And speaking of Dan...he's so unnerved by her cone that he seems only comfortable in my bedroom, in a nest on my bed, with the door closed. I think I'm being played.

Sunnie and I say Thank You for your kind thoughts.

Awe poor Sunnie! I hope she isnt in to much pain. I know it sounds mean but when my late pom Britt had to wear a cone after breaking her jaw, I used to laugh at her, she would run into walls, bang her head on the side of the couch to try and get it off. She hated it too

Danny is playing you

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

SunDance (10-22-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos