Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

While daddy is away

The animals go crazy! My fiance is away for 2 weeks for work. It's been eventful, to say the least.

Saturday night I'm sitting on the couch, Archie sound asleep after a long day, and one of my cats (Franklin) makes a big banging noise in the kitchen then comes trotting into the living room with a mouse dangling from his mouth by its tail. He had pulled it out of a cupboard! I think wow, there is hope for these lazy non-hunting cats. I let him play with it, thinking surely he will kill it. Nope, 10 mins in, he goes to take a nap. Second cat has a go at the mouse, then gives up and goes for a snack. Mouse runs under the spare bed. So, I'm in my pajamas, with rubber boots on and a broom trying to get this thing out. In the process, I break the bed (don't ask). Mouse runs away, I lose it.

Next afternoon, my cat finds it. This time, not letting them play with it. I take over and catch it under a mixing bowl. Can't bring myself to kill it so I end up walking all across the neighbourhood with a mouse in a glass mixing bowl to let it go far far away. To say I got weird looks would be an understatement. Photo evidence attached.

Now, it's been really hot and muggy the last couple of days and the animals were really feeling it. Overnight though, it got cool. Woke up at 5:30 to hear Franklin the cat having his own Nascar session racing around downstairs. Then there's some loud banging and claws scraping across hardwood - Archie is down there chasing him around - awesome! At which point Stewart, my other cat, jumps out of the window ONTO MY FACE to go check it all out.

So, there you go. I thought you might all enjoy a good chuckle at my expense. Happy hump day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mouse-jpg  
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Archie For This Useful Post:

ARTC (06-04-2014), BaconsMom (06-05-2014), Carlos (06-05-2014), CraftHer (06-04-2014), krysten (06-04-2014), MikeLynn (06-04-2014), ZRabbits (06-05-2014)

sorry for laughing, but I can just picture it all.....did you still have your jammies and wellies on when you were trying to find Mousie a new home?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

Archie (06-04-2014), krysten (06-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    sorry for laughing, but I can just picture it all.....did you still have your jammies and wellies on when you were trying to find Mousie a new home?
    Ha! Luckily no. The mouse was enough strangeness, I didn't need the matching crazy outfit
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Archie For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (06-05-2014)

Oh gosh! Poor you!!!! A mouse would take the cake for me, I think. Man, I thought the house centipede I flushed while hubby was away was rough....eek!

Cats...why do that do that? It's like they get the zoomies too, but it's always in the middle of the night!!! My cat will sleep all day and terrorize me all night. Jumping on me, throwing her toys around every where, running up and down the hall. Cats are strange.

And yes, I totally hear you. My husband was gone recently for 2 weeks, with no way for me to contact him during the day, and of course the a/c breaks on the hottest day ever, the washer breaks, the light breaks, Burton decides he is going to poop upstairs randomly, Charlie decides he doesn't want to potty in the backyard anymore and will hold it all day unless I walk him, there are some unclear instructions left for the guys who put in our fence....etc etc etc. Why this stuff only happens when the other half is away I have no idea but I do agree that the animals seem to sense that they are away and take advantage of it.

I will say this though, in my greatest moments of frustration Charlie actually would just lean into me and nudge me as if to say, hey just sit with me for a moment, and give me a few gentle kisses. It was very sweet. He has always been very in tune with me.

And Burton is my little sweetheart, today I smashed my head on my hanging pots and pans and he ran away and came back with his blankie for me haha.

But I would take all of that over a mouse. Yikes. I feel bad for you...I hope your other half gets home soon and you return to normalcy!
    Charlie and Burton

I can so relate! We had a mouse in the house and our cat, Duchess, just played with it and then walked away. This was when DH was on 3rd shift and I just had visions of this thing crawling on me in my sleep. So, I made sure it was trapped under the entertainment center and ran to the bedroom, closed the door and stuffed a towel underneath. We put out mouse traps. A couple days later, we smell that smell. Sure enough, the mouse was stuck in the back of the fridge - dead. So, my husband disposed of it. He insists that Duchess chased it into the fridge and starved it to death and therefore gets credit for the kill. I think it just got stuck and died.

My other Duchess story. My husband is an early riser so Duchess was used to having breakfast early. I am not. When we got married, DH was on third shift and didn't get home until about 7:30 AM. Duchess wanted breakfast earlier. So, she positioned herself above my sleeping self and jumped on me! I have never owned a cat and have never been jumped on in my sleep. So, terrified out of sleep, I just swing. I catch her and slam her against the wall. After a few moments, I wake up and realized I just slammed my DH's sweet cat into the wall. So I run down the hallway and try to catch her to see if she's OK. Then, I wake a little more and realize 1. If she ran down the hallway at top speed, she's OK and 2. She's not going to come to me after I just slammed her into the wall . I love that silly cat and would never intentionally hurt her. Not a training technique I would recommend, but she has never ever jumped on me in my sleep again.

-duchess-jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

sparky (06-05-2014)

Now see, I didn't read quite right so the photo I was expecting was you in your jammies carrying the mouse in the jar around your neighbourhood.

LOVE the photo though. And I would have safely released the cute little thing too.

Nothing like the animals deciding the night time is the right time!

Hopefully it was the same mouse...

I've heard of pheasant under glass, but mouse? Guess you have to be a cat to appreciate that.

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    ....I was expecting was you in your jammies carrying the mouse in the jar around your neighbourhood. .....
    Exactly my thoughts.
    Hope all is well and have a great day

Fred Henry

off to a great start, what will happen next ...

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos