Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you think they know?

I have been a bit worried about an aspect of my health recently, and had been putting off going to the Dr, and then thinking of the all the worst case scenarios and scaring myself silly quite frankly. Not highly recommended by the way.

Anyway, went to the Dr yesterday and got the all clear, a massive relief.

Anyway came home, and was greeted like a rockstar or some type of god from my gorgeous girl as usual, got myself a drink, sat down and said to Till 'all good'.

Her reaction surprised me, she was snuggling and smooching me all over, so much more so than normal, and I thought it's like she knows that I have been worries and everything is OK. Interested if others think it is an energy that you give off, scent or other.

Yes. I think they know. I don't think science will ever know how they do it. We know dogs have evolved (naturally and by man's design) to be exquisitely sensitive to us. To read us in ways we may never understand.

But then... there is this. I think God has gifted us with dogs. I really do. So you got really good news today. And you got a dog who loves you and celebrated with you. You were blessed twice in one day.

Glad to hear you are doing well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Tilly (10-23-2015)

Senior Dog
    Glad to hear things are well with you.

I know dogs pick up on our energy/moods...so if you were worried, Tilly probably sensed that. All clear = time to par-tay!!!

If things are tense in our house for any reason, our two go into anxious mode...like mama like son.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Tilly (10-23-2015)

I believe they definitely know! The how is a mystery but dogs are so intuitive, I think it has a lot to do with the energy we give off. I have seen the "look" of relief from my own dogs several times, sometimes I think they worry more than we do and celebrate as much if not more! Dogs are absolutely a blessing, I can not and do not want to imagine my life without one.

I am really glad all is ok with you!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Tilly (10-23-2015)

Absolutely they know. They can sense the tension in our bodies and then coming home with a new sense of relief, Tilly was celebrating with you. We know so little about how much out dogs sense in us.

Congratulations on a clean bill of health. NOW, don't let an issue go so long again!
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Tilly (10-24-2015)

If dogs can smell cancer, detect low blood sugar and impending epileptic seizure in their person (and strangers sometimes) then it doesn't seem unreasonable they can detect worry or relief. I bet when you tell the people closest to you some of them will reply they wondered what was up with you recently. I bet you acted differently without knowing it, worry takes a terrible toll. I was so relieved when a guy at work told all of us his wife was asking for a divorce. The way he'd been acting I was afraid he was going to tell us one of the kids had terminal cancer. Much prefer he get a divorce.

GLAD you are OK.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Tilly (10-24-2015)

Glad to hear all is well and that Tilly is celebrating also!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Tilly (10-24-2015)

They know. When our malamute pup Nikko was 4 months old I spent a week in the hospital. He was always a very calm and sweet boy. When I got home I spent a good amount of time laying on the couch recovering. Nikko laid with me and left to get my now dh when I needed something, like a trip to the bathroom. Neither of us has been really sick with Maverick, but I would imagine that he'd pick up on just as much.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

Tilly (10-24-2015)

She definitely picked up on your stress. I have a cyst that doctors recommend that I leave alone but it leaks every month and my Nikki tells me about it. They have our backs. Glad everything came back well. I'm sorry about the scare.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

Tilly (10-25-2015)

I think they can definitely sense our moods and can tell when there is an issue. I guarantee if I cut or burn myself at work, they will immediately fixate on it when I walk through the door.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Tilly (10-25-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos