House Broken

It was like "The Exorcist"

Ok, so it wasn't that bad, but Jackson has vomited twice today.

First time was at 1am (~6hrs after his dinner). There was quite a bit of kibble in that throw up, as well as some figs. Our fig tree is full of fruit and a lot of them are falling to the ground. He seemed fine after he threw up and burped out some gas.

Fed him his breakfast at 8am, he had a walk at noon and he threw up again at 1:30pm. There were some kibble pieces (not too many) and just a lot of brownish liquid - he did drink a good amount of water after coming in from the walk, so I'm guessing that's why. Spoke to the vet, who suggested withholding food and water for 24hrs and then slowly introducing bland diet.

Anything else I should be concerned about? I've never seen him throw up twice in one day. Is it weird that both times have been around 5hrs after his last meal? His eliminations have been completely normal today and he seems generally OK otherwise (wants to go out, smiling, tail wagging). He did pass some gas this evening (from, um, the other end), which I've never heard him do...should I be worried (more than I already am)?

Senior Dog
    He'll be OK...figs are known (OK, at least by me) to cause intestinal discomfort.

I thought this link was worth having here...don't freak over the title...it shows just what I said above for figs.

Dangerous Foods-Toxic Substances: The Good and the Bad

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

jacksonsmommy (10-24-2015)

He should be OK. He probably ate more figs than his system could tolerate and is cleaning itself out. Plenty of water and a bland diet for a day or two should solve the problem. Some of the figs may have had a little mold on them adding to the probability of upset.

Used to have a crab apple and mulberry tree and the dogs would scoff them up. It did occasionally cause tummy upsets. It would not be a bad idea to keep as many figs picked up as possible. Also, this is a perfect time to work on the leave it command.

FYI, cleaning up mulberry crap is very difficult. A couple of times I used the shop vac, LOL. Yep, DH has a picture of me vacuuming the yard. Got rid of those trees as soon as I could.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (10-24-2015), jacksonsmommy (10-24-2015)

House Broken
    Yeah, I love having a fig tree (it came with the house), but the tree is so tall that we can only pick about 25% of it, which means a lot of figs fall to the ground. Since it is close to the end of the season, I suspect that some of the fallen figs were rotting.

Thankfully, we haven't had any more throw up since yesterday afternoon. We gave a little bit of rice this morning and he's been ok. He just looks so sad and hungry. It's been a rough week for Jackson - he got skunked on Monday morning, and now this.

Poor little guy, I hope he his back to 100 percent very soon!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I just always make sure they can keep water down. When I see that coming back up... it's off to the vet for me. It's amazing that they can get dehydrated so fast.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos