Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Camping with the dogs - advice (pics included)

Hi everybody,

We're planning to camp with the dogs on a regular basis. I want to buy a tent for 2 people and 2 dogs. We'll use this tent in the winter also. I don't know if it is possible to have a tent which is good both in the winter and in the summer. Do you have any suggestions? I have no idea about the tents.

I'm also planning to buy an outdoor dog bed, what else should I buy?

Two weeks ago we had a fake camp Stayed in a wooden cottage not in a tent. It was a joy.

I couldn't stop, adding too many pictures.

-img_4479-jpg-img_4598-jpg -img_4584-jpg-img_4619-jpg-img_4627-jpg

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to capra For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (10-24-2015), Maxx&Emma (10-24-2015), MikeLynn (11-02-2015), POPTOP (10-24-2015), Scoutpout (10-24-2015)

House Broken
    more pics

-img_4733-jpg-img_4761-jpg-img_4834-jpg-img_4843-jpg

Road to the camping area was like this. So cute.

-img_4117-jpg

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to capra For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (10-24-2015), Maxx&Emma (10-24-2015), MikeLynn (11-02-2015), POPTOP (10-24-2015), Scoutpout (10-24-2015)

Wow, beautiful pictures! I am no help, I do not camp but I imagine the type of tent will depend a lot on the temperatures you will be camping at. Have lots of fun and there is no such thing as "too many pictures", lol!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

capra (10-26-2015)

Awesome area to camp!

Have not camped in years but while doing so I learned less is more. Think the first time I hooked up the house to the back of the car and off we went, LOL. It took a while to find things that did double duty lessening the amount to pack.

Right off the top of my head is not to skimp on the first aid kit for the pups and their ID info.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

capra (10-26-2015)

wow, what a beautiful site for a cabin!
    Scout is spoiled, he has a trailer to go "camping" in (actually, he'd probably love tent camping; me, i'm old enough to want a bathroom and regular bed mattress!), so no help with the tent types, but second Poptop's advice, less is more. Double-duty or it doesn't go (except my mini Keurig machine). Regular leash, extend-a-leash, light-up collar for at night, flashlight for the human (i have a headlamp so my hands are still free), dog towel to keep the muck out of the tent/camper, collapsable water bowl, water from home so their tummies don't get upset. Tupperware or seal-able container for dog food if you feed dry dog food -ants are NOT fun in your camp!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

capra (10-26-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Awesome area to camp!

Have not camped in years but while doing so I learned less is more. Think the first time I hooked up the house to the back of the car and off we went, LOL. It took a while to find things that did double duty lessening the amount to pack.

Right off the top of my head is not to skimp on the first aid kit for the pups and their ID info.
    LOL
    I will try to have just have the needed stuff

You are right, I should take a first aid kit with me.
    Last time I just had one medicine for the dogs for sick stomach. And I needed it. Tilya got sick from the tap water and vomited a lot. We couldn't understand it was because of the water until the last day Because Cilek had no reaction to it. Then we changed the water and she was well.

House Broken
    Yeap, light-up collar, good idea!
    I learned my lesson last time about the towels) 3 wasn't enought. This time I'll take 6 because you know, they love water and mud.
    And for the upset tummy, yes, Tilya had it last time You know this camping issue

It looks beautiful where you stayed.
    I found having 30 ft leashes and carabiners a big plus. Extra blankets in case it gets cold for you or the dogs. A battery pack with jumper cabels. That can charge your phone.

Thats all I can think of for now

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

capra (11-01-2015)

Plenty of 3 season tents to choose from. You need to decide what features and size you want. How much stuff you want in the tent will be a factor. I've bought "good" tents and cheap ones. It's worth spending the money for a good quality one; cheap ones may not be rain proof and may not last long.

Just remember to pack for your self and for the dogs. Towels for drying, something for them to lie on (bed, blanket, etc.), first aid as already mentioned, light up collars were already mentioned (these are sooo handy, especially for dark dogs), tie outs for the dogs, food & water bowls (if hiking you may want some sort of collapsible water bowl and water bottles and packs for the dogs). For hunting season you may want orange vests for the dogs. You can buy something to carry kibble in for traveling or just use zip loc bags.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ckfalz For This Useful Post:

capra (11-01-2015)

Senior Dog
    I agree with getting a "good" tent. It does not have to be top of the line or expensive, just good quality (price will increase based on weight, size and features). I would buy bigger than you think you need, but not too big or it will be harder to carry and set up. Also consider weight if you need to carry it distances vs just taking it out of the car.

I usually stay in a pop up camper with a friend and another brings her tent. Our gathering space is a 10x10 a screen room. Most of our "stuff" stays in the cars.

If you are car camping, I would start buying just the basics: tent, air mattress, flashlight and stove. Most other things you can improvise and use everyday items then buy as you figure out what you really need and want later. If you need to carry your gear, you'll need to be creative to keep the weight and size down. A good way to learn what you need is for the first couple trips, go close to home or stores and car camp. That way you can go get something you didn't think of. And always bring plenty of water from home to avoid upset tummies (both people and dogs).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JC001 For This Useful Post:

capra (11-01-2015), ckfalz (10-27-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos