Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We went to the e-vet last night

We got home from dinner last night and I noticed Lily was shaking. Its pretty common with small breeds but when it still hadn't stopped a few hours later, I started to worry. I picked her up and noticed she was taking very short shallow breaths and making a noise, almost like she was in pain. I thought maybe it was her back and started lightly pressing on different areas when Hunter noticed that Daisy also wasn't acting right. She had thrown up some bile and was also taking short shallow breaths and making a noise.

At that moment we started to suspect that maybe they had been poisoned by our saltwater reef aquarium. We keep corals that can release a toxin when they feel threatened and Hunter had been scrubbing rocks earlier that afternoon. A few months ago, Hunter and I got poisoned ourselves after spending the afternoon doing maintenance on it. We felt like we were suddenly hit with the flu. Our chests felt tight and it was difficult to breathe. It subsided by the next day.

We were worried that they got poisoned this time, so we rushed over to the e-vet. Of course, the moment we get in the car, is the moment the door latch to my back seat decides its going to crap out and we only have one car right now so Hunter had to sit in the back and hold the door shut so the pups wouldn't fall out.

We finally get the vet and tell her all about the aquarium and the toxin. I'm pretty sure she thought we were crazy as she had never heard of it. She checked their vitals and they did have some labored breathing but she wasn't overly concerned about it and everything else checked out ok. She said we could run extra tests - chest x-ray, blood work, etc. Their breathing seemed a little better at that point so we declined the extra testing and took them home. By the time we got home, now I'm feeling like I'm coming down with the flu. We went to bed with our dogs in between us, still taking short breaths, and my sweet husband stayed up all night to make sure they were going to be ok.

Fortunately, they're doing better this morning. The short breathing has stopped but they still seem a little tired. I just wish they could tell us how they are feeling!!!

Im really glad they feeling better.

Do you have a carbon monoxide monitor? Please, check your furnace or CO2 levels NOW, as in heating season, this could lead to you feeling as though you have the flu! Do NOT stay in the house, and take the dogs with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    Do you have a carbon monoxide monitor? Please, check your furnace or CO2 levels NOW, as in heating season, this could lead to you feeling as though you have the flu! Do NOT stay in the house, and take the dogs with you!
    Yes we do! 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs. And we check them frequently to make sure they are working.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-25-2015)

Sounds as though your original thought about the aquarium might be right then. Keep getting better. Scary!

Senior Dog
    Scary! Hope everyone is back to 100% soon.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

That's scary! So glad to hear everyone is feeling better this morning.

Have not heard that about corals.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Boy, I bet you feel kind of good about feeling crappy yourself as it tends to support the aquarium theory. You said the dogs seem better, how about you? And your husband?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Boy, I bet you feel kind of good about feeling crappy yourself as it tends to support the aquarium theory. You said the dogs seem better, how about you? And your husband?
    I'm feeling better but not 100% yet. The dogs seem to have returned to normal. No more shortness of breath and they felt well enough to go outside and eat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-26-2015)

Senior Dog
    Yikes...glad I'm seeing this after you're all feeling better...that's scary.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos