Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip Check-up

Hip Check-up

Went to the ortho today for the first post surgical hip check. X-rays were done and bandage removed. Doc was extremely pleased how the incision has healed; no bandage needed now. Mobility is also very good. I'm being encouraged to use only the cane now. Have not been able to get out for the last couple of days with rain but when I do, the hip feels very stable. It's just amazing to me how fast it's healing. There is still some deep bruising and some minor swelling but again that is resolving quickly.

Discomfort with movement has also decreased. It's more like a muscle pull feeling rather than sharp pain. The anticoagulant, aspirin 325, will be stopped in another week and a half. Also, if taking Tylenol during the day keeps me comfortable, I'm to decrease the doses of Norco. Doc recommends Norco at bedtime and before PT. Last home PT is tomorrow and then outpatient PT for 6-8 weeks.

The dizziness/nausea that has been such a bother has resolved. Appetite is till not back to normal but I'm certainly not burning up calories very fast. Now I just have to keep my head in the game and keep up the exercises and not get down by lack of ability to get out more. Hate being shut in.

DH has headed back to work today. He was kinda crabby and I asked him if it was because "vacation" was over. Nope, he did not want me left alone. I'm sure I'll do fine; heck I'll be sleeping most of the time. DD is only 2 miles away if a problem arises.

Oh no, just had a thought. This darn thing will probably be completely healed just in time to shovel snow; they should both occur about the same time.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Bamps (10-29-2015), barry581 (10-29-2015), Blackboy98 (10-29-2015), Dallas dawg (10-30-2015), kimbersmom (10-29-2015), LucyTudeOn4Feet (10-31-2015), Macy (10-29-2015), Maxx&Emma (10-29-2015), MikeLynn (10-29-2015), Mr Kleb (10-29-2015), PinkDragon14 (10-29-2015), Scoutpout (10-29-2015), Sue-Ram (10-29-2015), SunDance (10-29-2015), Tilly (10-29-2015)

That's great! Well. Except for the snow shoveling portion of the program of course.

I'm so happy you're feeling better.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-29-2015)

I am so happy your recovery is going well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-29-2015)

Senior Dog
    Good to hear things are going smoothly!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-29-2015)

Yay, thanks for the good news report. Sounds like you are a model patient.

LOL, it would be grass cutting I'd want out of.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-29-2015)

Sounds like the recovery is going remarkably well Fran, given the surgery you have been through. Hope every thing continues to go brilliantly, and your DH sounds like a keeper. Like you didn't know that!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-29-2015)

Great news!!!

As for the shoveling...... you could always have a snowlapse!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-29-2015)

great update. and nice i bet not to have a bandage on any longer -those things make me itchy! Hope you can still take short trips outside with the weather being the way it is the next few days. amazing what a bit of fresh air does for a mood!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-29-2015)

Thanks everyone.

Last night very pretty well. Had to get up to potty around 3 am and the furkids decided it was breakfast time. Of course, pain med had worn off during the night. Feeding them is a challenge, trying to walk while hold two bowls of kibble with water. Mardi always finishes first and tries to invade Archie's space which I do not allow. That normally means just standing between the two of them but Mardi does get pushy. I'm in pain, she's pushing, UGH. Think I'll start feeding her in the living room and close the baby gate.

Had my pain med, a cup of tea and within an hour was ready to lay back down. This morning while DH is sleeping, have done some housework, sweeping, dusting, etc. Not the most comfortable thing to do but keeps me busy and mobile. I'll be more than ready for a nap when DH gets up and after PT. Actually feel like I've accomplished something and been a little productive.

Rain has stopped but it very windy and cold. Don't know if we'll get outside for a walk or not. Hum, wonder if the hip will get cold faster with the metal in there?
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (10-29-2015), Scoutpout (10-30-2015)

Great updates Fran!
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-29-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos