Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Therapy training on RAW diet. Can the two co-exist?

Hi everyone! Nice to be back on the forum after being gone for months and months. I have a question for you all. I was researching therapy training classes and in my area (Portland, OR) it looks like Pet Partners is the primary certifier of therapy dogs. (I've just begun my research, so if there are other certification organizations, I would love links to their info.) As I was perusing the pre-reqs for training, one of the rules stated no raw protein diets. Koa is fed raw and I have no intention of switching as he is doing superbly on it. Does that mean that we are not eligible for being a therapy team? Is the concern that bacteria will be passed to people who may have suppressed immune systems? If anyone has experience with this I would love to hear about it. It seems hard to believe that none of the therapy dogs out there are fed raw diets.

Thanks!!

that's something you will need to discuss with them. And then decide if you want to "plead the fifth" (just not tell them you feed raw and pretend you don't) or be honest and see if you can negotiate with them.

When I was with a therapy group they also required no raw (yes they say it's about contamination rigthtly or wrongly) and bi-weekly bathing. I didn't feed raw but also didn't give bi-weekly baths.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Koa's Mom (10-30-2015)

I was not feeding any raw when Maxx was certified. I will keep my mouth zipped!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Koa's Mom (10-30-2015)

Yes speak to the agency you would work with. With some it depends where and what kind of therapy visits you will do. Hospitals might be a no-no, but a reading program for children at a school might be ok. Here, the one I would go with would assign individual clients so it would depend on the client.

Did you check out who offers insurance? For a while one agency here did not provide insurance for you or your dog. If someone claimed your dog bit a person you'd be on your own and also on your own if a client/person hurt your dog.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Koa's Mom (10-30-2015)

I've read that before also that raw diet is a no w/ therapy dog teams. That said, it's a good thing I have no time for it because mine are out hunting mice in my field as I type!!!
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Koa's Mom (10-30-2015)

Puppy
    Great information! Had not considered insurance, but that's a good point and worth checking into. Seems like everything is so complicated these days. I understand the reason behind many of the "complications," but part of me misses the simplicity of yesteryear. Back when I was a wee one, my grandpa would tuck his cairn-poodle under his arm (back before it was a hybrid "breed") and head to the local nursing home to visit with folks. (That was a picture in and of itself to see a big masculine teddy bear of man with a wisp of a dog!) No program, certification, or organization involvement. He just knew his dog loved people, was trustworthy, and that the residents benefitted from time w/ a furry friend. How times have changed! Appropriately so, in some cases, I know...but still!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input.

Luna is certified through TDI (Therapy Dogs International) and I didn't see anything on her requirements that she couldn't be fed raw.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Koa's Mom (11-01-2015)

This is likely a local (state-level?) restriction, based on the problem of suppressed or compromised immune system. I'd ask about it.

And if it's a hard and fast rule—no worries. There are lots of other great types of training you guys can do!

My dog is training for Therapy Dog cert., but she's not on raw.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Abulafia For This Useful Post:

Koa's Mom (11-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    Luna is certified through TDI (Therapy Dogs International) and I didn't see anything on her requirements that she couldn't be fed raw.
    Maxx is also and I couldn't find any info either.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Koa's Mom (11-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post

it would be a requirement by the facility or some groups (many people are part if a group that facilitates/arranges visits vs just knowing a placrmyou can go).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Koa's Mom (11-01-2015), windycanyon (10-31-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos