Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The boys, The vet, a note for puppy people

Well, we met our new vet. The boys are totally fine, so feel free to stop reading here if you'd like.

Dropped off a fecal, I like to be sure they are clear of any crud after we do a lot of traveling. Both boys are clear.

We received some really positive feedback. The vet was quick to point out that both boys were in excellent shape and at a perfect weight. She was pleased, I was pleased. Interestingly, Charlie is about 110 pounds. Yeah...I thought his ideal perfect weight was 95, I think he looked great at 95. But now, if he loses any weight he looks very boney and if I were to pet him I would feel his spine. That sicked me out so 110 it is. Hubby thinks that he was still growing and now he is filled out to where he should be, hence the 110 looking good on him.

Burton dropped his puppy weight too. I really wanted to create this post because I know there was a thread going about "fat puppies", and I just want to assure those of you with puppies that the baby weight will drop off as they reach their first birthday. PLEASE do not underfeed your puppies because you are afraid they will get fat. They need that fat. It will go away as they grow.

The vet said they look great, their hearts sound great and there's no concern. Both had clean ears, nice clean coats, great eyes, you know the drill, so far so good :*)

Also, all the techs came out to see us in the waiting area. One of the girls is a lab lover and has a bench lab at home so she took several pictures of Burton to show her family. I need to teach him how to sign pawtographs. Maybe next time we are in MI Hemi will show us how it's done.

One more note, that obedience stand stay we practice so much...such a gem in the exam room.
    Charlie and Burton

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

AlbertaLab (06-04-2014), bett (06-04-2014), Dallas dawg (06-08-2014), dxboon (06-04-2014), Jeff (06-05-2014), JenC (06-05-2014), LabLady101 (06-06-2014), Scoutpout (06-05-2014), SnapV (06-05-2014), voodoo (06-04-2014), WhoopsaDaisy (06-05-2014), ZRabbits (06-05-2014)

My vet likes Maggie's weight too, she is very solid and not a skinny puppy. When I took her in the day I brought her home at eight weeks she was a ball of pudge, and he said to me, "don't under feed a puppy. It is okay if she is a bit chubby for a while." Now, if only other people felt this way, I have had random strangers tell me that she is too fat, and then lecture me about doggie obesity and joint problems. Ugh. I would not under feed my human child, why would I do it with a puppy. I think a lean adult dog is healthy, but not a skinny puppy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie's Mom For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (06-04-2014)

good to know info. Chili weighed in last week at vets office at 79 pounds. asked the vet if chili needed to drop a few pounds and the vet said he looked good and wouldnt change anything.

its nice to hear good news.

your dogs look great!
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

6. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

Thank you!

Yes, I also got the comments like "Oh well he is well fed..." What also makes it hard is that Charlie is a field lab and so he will always appear to be more lean than Burton. He is built differently, and his coat is different. So put them next to each other and Burton looks chubby. Just like when I put them next to each other Charlie's head looks more hound-y.

Oh well. They are healthy and happy and that's what matters to me!
    Charlie and Burton

Thanks for the feedback. Mocha was 90 pounds at the vet last time. But she said he is not overweight and he's healthy. He doesn't look pudgy, he's just a big dog. I've never had anyone tell me he's overweight but I think I would say, "He's just big boned" or maybe "But his teeth are healthy, want him to demonstrate?" or maybe just teach Mocha to take a dump on their shoe. Talk about big!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crafther View Post
    thanks for the feedback. Mocha was 90 pounds at the vet last time. But she said he is not overweight and he's healthy. He doesn't look pudgy, he's just a big dog. I've never had anyone tell me he's overweight but i think i would say, "he's just big boned" or maybe "but his teeth are healthy, want him to demonstrate?" or maybe just teach mocha to take a dump on their shoe. Talk about big!
    lol!
    Charlie and Burton

Awesome checkup. Time to go play!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (06-05-2014)

Personally, I think they look great! Always nice to get a clean bill of health!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by charliebbarkin View Post
    Burton dropped his puppy weight too. I really wanted to create this post because I know there was a thread going about "fat puppies", and I just want to assure those of you with puppies that the baby weight will drop off as they reach their first birthday. PLEASE do not underfeed your puppies because you are afraid they will get fat. They need that fat. It will go away as they grow.
    I was not going to re-register for this place after the crash, but I did just now for the sheer reason of wanting to "thank" your post. It is so nice to read the above. YOU. GET. IT. So freaking refreshing to read.

Also, the thing about Charlie weighing in at 110 lbs. coupled with recent pictures of him, just goes to show that judging a Lab's condition "by the pound" is misleading. I have not had hands on Charlie, but I cannot imagine anyone saying that Charlie is fat, despite what the reported weight of 110 lbs. might lead people to believe. The corollary goes for Burton too (again with the same caveat that I've not had hands on him) -- I bet some people might look at his picture in comparison to Charlie, and say he's one of those short-legged, fat show dogs, but his vet says he's healthy at his weight, so "those people" can shut their yaps (with all due respect, of course). :-)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (06-05-2014), LabLady101 (06-06-2014)

Our Jax was a chunky puppy...the whole litter was. He stayed that way for a while. Now he is 1 and last weighed in at 79lb. He is good for this stage of his life and all of that happened naturally. I do have to add that he does not eat if he's not hungry. Now he will always gladly have a treat but as for his regular food he often will just come back later for it. I was told this is unusual for Labs.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax's Mom For This Useful Post:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos