Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Farmina N&D Dog Food?

Sam doesn't seem to be improving on the Canine Caviar kibble. I don't know if he is still eating Linus' poop now that it's dark in the morning and evening and I can't really see what's going on outside.

My trainer, who is a bit over the top (IMHO) when it comes to nutrition and health feed her dogs a raw OR home-cooked meal once a day and kibble for the other meal. She highly suggested Farmina N&D grain free foods. I did some research and it sounds like an excellent kibble, not to mention, it's actually less expensive than Canine Cavaior (or Orijen or Acana, for that matter) which I cannot complain about.

I am thinking about trying it (probably the fish & orange and the board & apple). Anyone have any experience with it? Here is the website.

House Broken
    I fed it for a few months. I was really hoping that my allergy guy could tolerate the occasional Farmina meal and it could be a staple to my more active younger guy. It was fine, didn't notice any changes (good or bad) in my younger guy. Allergy dog couldn't handle it though. And it is way cheaper than many other brands...not sure HOW it's that much cheaper if they truly are using the ingredients they say they are.

House Broken
    I totally understand feeding great foods, my older guy can only tolerate raw. But my younger guy is on a less "fancy" food (Dr. Tim's) and he looks amazing compared to when I was feeding "better" foods.

It's all in what works!

Sam is the one I am concerned about though I am beginning to think it's environmental for him. Perhaps something to do with the insane weather we had this year. He's also never done well on foods with grains or chicken.

Linus did fine on ProPlan with exception of his ears were not perfect and he had runny eyes. Taking away grains nixed that. He can even tolerate chicken. With pure raw for him, I am just concerned that I am not meeting all of his needs and that concern is more of a long-term concern. I thought about adding the Honest Kitchen base but OMG, it's expensive! I also want him to be able to switch to 100% kibble for boarding and the sake of convenience when my schedule gets wonky with work. It's just one less worry for me, which helps with my stress level. He seems to be able to tolerate most anything.

It would be just lovely to find something that works!

House Broken
    Not impressed at all with that brand. Many of the company's other lines include K3, wheat, corn, meat meal, and some other items. This term "dehydrated XXX" is somewhat curious, just translation maybe. Anyway, not impressed by the company overall.

Farmina Pet Foods - Alimenti per cani - Fun Dog Looks like supermarket food.

I haven't found anything better than Pro Plan Select/Natural or Dr. Tim's.

I tried the cod and orange formula, but wasn't impressed. For kibble meals I feed Annamaet Aqualuk.

House Broken
    Dr. Tim's Pursuit is the best all around food made.

Quote Originally Posted by LabMunsterBracco View Post
    Dr. Tim's Pursuit is the best all around food made.
    And Dr. Tim's is chicken meal based. Which is what Labradorks specified she didn't want.

Labradorks, depending on availability, you might want to look into Victor dog food.
    I've tried it, was very pleased with it. It does have to be bought online for me, though, but they have several types that may be what you're looking for. Well, I could drive down to Wells, but that's quite a haul from where I'm at.
    I like that there are some (not all) that are GMO free.

Victor Super Premium Dog Food
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

House Broken
    Ok fine, Dr. Tim's makes a pork-based formula and Annamaet Aqualuck and Manitok are chicken free.

Dr. Tim's RPM Salmon & Pork Grain-Free Formula Dry Dog Food, 30-lb bag

Victor is a low quality food and so are Canine Caviar and Farmina.

Sue, do you smell chocolate? Some Hershey perhaps?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Sue (11-10-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos