Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

How's your dog handling Daylight Savings Time?

For most of us in the US, we 'gained' an hour of sleep yesterday. Unless you have a dog that knows when breakfast time is, dang it, no matter what the clock may say.

But the bigger challenge was dinner, which is at 7 pm. Kimber normally starts bugging us at about 40 minutes before meal time so yesterday it was all of 5:20 and she began. First she stared. I told her to lay down. 5:45: She got up and put her head on my lap. Then she began licking the book that was on my lap. I got up, put on my shoes, and opened the door- but Kimber was not next to me. No, she had stopped at the kitchen doorway. She looked at me, looked at the pantry (in which her food bucket resides), then back to me, doing her best to communicate, "Doofus, feed me." I scooted her outside and played with her a bit. We came back in, where she hurried back over to the pantry. At 6 pm I gave her a frozen kong. That bought me about 10 minutes of peace. Repeat antics of 5:30-6:00 pm. Finally at 6:55 we fed her. She was thrilled to be fed and totally over waiting. I really think Kimber thinks we're idiots sometimes.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

House Broken
    lol I don't change mine straight away I change the feeding times gradually over about a months - they won't wait for walk time so we go out earlier!

these days my dogs eat at pretty random and odd times. i generally get the stares (and sometimes cuddles) for a few hours no matter what time they end up eating starts around 5pm (even if they only end up eating at 8pm). Mornings they don't wake me up unless I really sleep in (which i don't much) but they are good til 9am.

I've been trying for the best few months to get my dogs off the set schedule of meal times, and it seems to have worked. They have been getting fed anywhere between 5-7 in the am and pm, and I actually did not notice much disruption this year with daylight savings time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

Tanya (11-02-2015)

Mine never eat dinner at the same time and they understand sleeping in on the weekend so we've never had any issues with the time change. I wouldn't mind if we did away with it though, I was reading that the amount of energy that it saves is negligible.

With my work schedule, mine are not on a set schedule. There is a range. I also boarded them Wednesday through Friday at a facility that is a huge fenced in field with trees and creeks with other Labs and sporting type dogs (of course they are inside from dinner until breakfast) so they were passed out Friday night and most of the weekend. Still pretty mellow today. I think that helped!

I just got back from Asia so I've been going through a 15 hour time change, and during that time Bubba was boarded so his schedule was probably different as well. All that being said, no one is getting much sleep around here!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

Murphy is confused. He usually has dinner around 5:45-6:15p, but he was bugging me yesterday at 4:30. He was eyeing my apple, so of course me being a sucker for his cute face, I gave him a bite. It didn't occur to me that the time change messed with his head until I wondered why it was dark at 5:30. Since his bedtime is at 10, he was passed out on the couch at 9. He's much better today thankfully
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content
    In memory of Katie 3/20/94 - 2/19/07

Mine have been wanting to go outside earlier at bedtime which is fine, but then they want to wake up earlier in the morning, which is not so fine. I wasn't working today so I heard them making noises about 5:30 am, let them out, gave them each a treat and told them to go back to sleep. They always want dinner by mid-afternoon, the little piglets.

Right now they all think supper is 45 minutes late and I'm getting questioning looks. Next spring they'll all adjust much more quickly.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos