Gauge gave me a scare

The other night my cat decided to open the cabinet where I keep all the dog food. Well I didn't find out later that Gauge ate almost a half a bag of kibble.

Later that night he was acting weird then he started wretching and nothing came up his belly was big and in like oh crap he's bloating. My biggest fear.

He finally brought a bunch up a few times and settled down so I just played with him and watched him closely while on the phone with the ER.

He slept quietly for the rest of the night and was back to normal the next day.

Today he was acting weird and shaking I took him out( he doesn't ask to go out) he took the biggest poop I've ever seen lol but he really had to go BC he came in and acted normal again.

Good thing I'm leaving Sat for vacation I need a good drink

Gauge, you stinker! That is scary when they get ahold of that much kibble. Guess you better use the BIG shovel to scoop, LOL.

I swear by the kibble bins with the snap lock tops. Petsmart has them with wheels which makes it much easier to move around, sweep out the pantry, refill. The bin upstairs only hold about a half a big bag of kibble and have another downstairs to hold the other half in the original bag in case of recalls, have all the numbers, etc.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Isn't amazing how much a Lab can pack down into their stomach!!!! I always laugh when someone tells me they have a picky eater, my two put their faces in the bowl, and they don't come up and the bowls are sparkling clean!!

Lark did the same thing several weeks ago. No retching or vomiting but she pooped 10 times in the next 24 hours. These dogs be crazy! That gigantic poop must have been a relief for both Gauge AND you!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

That would have given me a scare as well. Glad he is feeling better.

Senior Dog
    That is scary, but Mulder’s mother did it a few times with no issues, and my trainer’s border collie has also done it on multiple occasions - she just doesn’t feed her for a couple of days afterwards and the dog has been fine.

I’m with PopTop - I keep the puppies’ kibble in a bin with a locking lid, and Chloe’s comes in a sturdy bag with a zip-loc on it, so even if they get into where the food is stored (basement landing) they can’t really access it. Except for the one time that Jolie managed to knock the bin down the basement stairs which did cause the lid to come off and food to go EVERYWHERE. I was home at the time and heard the commotion, so they didn’t get much of it before I was able to put a stop to the buffet.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos