Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luna's First Therapy Visit

So most of you know that Luna was certified as a therapy dog through TDI a couple of months ago, but life has been so crazy that I haven't been able to take her anywhere... until today!

So we went to the elementary school I work at on Tuesdays and Fridays and we went into my classroom, which is fifth grade. This school is an inner city school and most of the kids have heartbreaking home lives. Out of 75 children who took the fourth grade ELA tests last year, only 3 of them passed. These kids are really behind in almost all of their skills, especially reading and writing.

It's also Election Day, and the school was a polling place. So on our walk up to the classroom, Luna had to navigate kids running past her and yelling, running up to her out of nowhere, kids in crisis, adults polling, adults signing in at tables... it was a lot of stimulation even for me.

She was unbelievable.

I have never felt so proud of her. I actually cried on our way out because it was just so amazing to watch her leaves it and her poise in a brand new, action packed placed. I didn't know dogs could be poised. It was an absolute joy to watch her.

25 kids surrounded her all at once with hugs, pets and kisses. 25 kids yelling questions. 25 kids all wanting to be her best friend and she was loving every minute of it. She went over to every single kid with a wagging tail and a smile. It's like she was born to do this. She has personality plus and she exhibited it to every kid. She was still her boisterous and happy self, but she was able to bring such joy to every child. The kids gave her a desk, they made her a nameplate, and they all want to bring cookies and toys to school for her and put it in her desk. She's teaching them gratitude, generosity, to love life no matter what, and she's making writing essays and practicing sentence structure fun. A lot of my kids have trouble with transition words (first, then, next, soon, later, finally), but it was amazing to see how easily they wrote and how much fun they had writing about Luna's visit. They're going to write stories about what they think her life is like. I'm excited to read those!

She is an absolute blessing and I am so, so thankful for her. I just wish I was allowed to post pictures!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (11-04-2015), Jollymolly (11-04-2015), kimbersmom (11-03-2015), Maxx&Emma (11-06-2015), MightyThor (11-04-2015), MikeLynn (11-03-2015), POPTOP (11-04-2015), Scoutpout (11-03-2015), smartrock (11-04-2015), Snowshoe (11-03-2015), Tilly (11-04-2015), WhoopsaDaisy (11-04-2015)

Awww. That's awesome!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (11-04-2015)

Senior Dog
    Thank you for sharing that story! I love the mental image of Luna having her own desk.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (11-04-2015)

Wonderful. What a good, good girl Luna is.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (11-04-2015)

Luna what a special girl you are!!! I"m sure you were loving every minute of it!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (11-04-2015)

Such a special girl! Way to go Luna!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (11-04-2015)

That is awesone

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (11-04-2015)

That's so sweet. Luna is a special girl! I get teary eyed too when I'm out with Sam. He Is such a great ambassador of the breed. People are drawn to him. Someone always has an I grew up with a lab story. I love it! We just worked at a coat drive at a fire station. They brought buses of kids to the fire station and gave them coats and shoes. After they got their coats they met the dogs. Some of the kids were terrified of the dogs but others were just drawn to them. I had one little girl asked me what was wrong with Sam's feet. I looked and looked and finally asked her do you mean his nails. And she was like those are his fingernails? So funny! Sam seems to like the kids so that's where we're focusing our visits. It's very enjoyable since my kids are grown! I hope things have settled down for you and you can start making regular visits. It's very rewarding!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (11-04-2015)

Congratulations to you and to Luna!!! Luna did extremely well, and it is a testament to your training as well. I have said this many times, but I thank you for training Luna to be a therapy dog. When my mother was in the hospital, and eventually hospice care, the touch of a therapy dog brightened her day. She missed our Lab Lily so deeply, and the therapy dogs made her smile.

Luna is such a blessing, I am so proud for you
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (11-04-2015)

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    Oh my goodness! What a joy to watch! I would love to see Barley do something like this because he loves everyone and random strangers love to pet him - but I don't know if he would not get over-excited. Is Luna a relatively mellow dog?
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Moby and Barley's Mom For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (11-04-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos