Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Share a cute story about your lab

Inspired by Luna's dog therapy visit post, although your story doesn't have to be about children.

Last week we were walking Kimber. One of our neighbors drove by, and then backed up his car to be even with us. He rolled down the window on the passenger side and said his nephew wanted to say hi. A red headed boy about 5 years old popped his head out the window and said, "Wow! Is that your dog?! Can I pet him?!"

"Sure! It's a girl, Kimber." He looked ecstatic and hopped out of the car right away. He came up and began bopping her lightly on the head (a little boy's petting) and DH said, "She gives kisses, too." "She DOES?!" the nephew cried out, and then- here's the super cute part- puckered up his lips and leaned down to her. Kimber began enthusiastically licking him on the face and the whole time he kept smooching her back! "She's great!" He exclaimed. His uncle lured him back in the car with the reminder that pizza was waiting at home. We of course invited him to see Kimber any time.

As they were pulling away, we could hear the nephew saying, "Did you see her KISS me?" Ha!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), Meeps83 (11-04-2015), POPTOP (11-04-2015)

EmmyGirl
    Okay, well I'm not sure if this is cute, but funny anyhow. So I catch my pup in the cat litter this morning trying to eat cat poop. When I busted her she dropped the piece in her mouth and ran. She snuck upstairs to take a nap (I work from home & she's usually by me until she can be completely trusted not to eat, destroy or scratch lol) and I find her laying on my daughter's bed next to a toilet brush. Was this her attempt to brush her teeth after the cat poop thing? Lmao! Ugh!! Dogs are so gross! Lucky they are sooo sweet.
    Last edited by EmmyGirl; 11-04-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: error

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EmmyGirl For This Useful Post:

Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), kimbersmom (11-04-2015), POPTOP (11-04-2015)

We trained Thor with dual hand and voice commands - every voice command has a corresponding hand motion. When my husband trained 'speak' he paired it with the middle finger as a joke - he thought it would be a fun party trick to tell people to flip off the dog only to have him bark back.

Well, luckily hand commands don't have to be completely precise so all the neighborhood kids know the command with the pointer finger. Every time they see Thor they love to run up to him, pointing to the sky, yelling "speak! speak!" When Thor barks back it causes massive giggle fits.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), kimbersmom (11-04-2015), Meeps83 (11-04-2015), POPTOP (11-04-2015)

One of Hemi's best ones was a couple summers ago. Don't remember if I ever shared this story or not.

Anyway most know I drive a Ford F150 which is rather tall, so Hemi sits up high in the back seat. Well I had called ahead an order to a restaurant. We went there to pick it up and I had all the windows down while I went inside to get it. It was only about 70 out so Hemi would be fine. I go up to counter and pay and lady tells me it will be a few more minutes. So I stand there watching out towards my truck. You know keeping an eye on things. Anyway I see this guy leaving the restaurant and talking on his phone very loudly and animated. He was also as bald as a cue ball, which is important to the story. He walks out of the restaurant and I see him headed to the car we parked right beside. He is extremely animated now and you can tell he is talking really loudly. He stops at his car door still talking loudly and animated, his back to Hemi who was laying down. Now Hemi heard the guy yelling and talking loudly right outside the truck. Hemi leans out and gives the guy a big old lick right on the top of his head.

Of course I am laser focused now not sure what the guy is going to do and if I am going to need to intervene.

The guy froze mid sentence and turned around. There was Hemi just smiling that labby smile. The guy started laughing and smiling, his trouble on the phone what ever it was all forgotten he gave Hemi a good petting and smiling the whole time. Then got in the car and started talking on his phone again but drove off smiling.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (11-04-2015), Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), kimbersmom (11-04-2015), Meeps83 (11-04-2015), PinkDragon14 (11-06-2015), POPTOP (11-04-2015), Snowshoe (11-05-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    One of Hemi's best ones was a couple summers ago. Don't remember if I ever shared this story or not.

Anyway most know I drive a Ford F150 which is rather tall, so Hemi sits up high in the back seat. Well I had called ahead an order to a restaurant. We went there to pick it up and I had all the windows down while I went inside to get it. It was only about 70 out so Hemi would be fine. I go up to counter and pay and lady tells me it will be a few more minutes. So I stand there watching out towards my truck. You know keeping an eye on things. Anyway I see this guy leaving the restaurant and talking on his phone very loudly and animated. He was also as bald as a cue ball, which is important to the story. He walks out of the restaurant and I see him headed to the car we parked right beside. He is extremely animated now and you can tell he is talking really loudly. He stops at his car door still talking loudly and animated, his back to Hemi who was laying down. Now Hemi heard the guy yelling and talking loudly right outside the truck. Hemi leans out and gives the guy a big old lick right on the top of his head.

Of course I am laser focused now not sure what the guy is going to do and if I am going to need to intervene.

The guy froze mid sentence and turned around. There was Hemi just smiling that labby smile. The guy started laughing and smiling, his trouble on the phone what ever it was all forgotten he gave Hemi a good petting and smiling the whole time. Then got in the car and started talking on his phone again but drove off smiling.

I love this so much! Some of the funniest (and probably most inappropriate to other people) things that Bubba does is if we're going for a walk and we happen to closely walk by someone wearing shorts, Bubba will just super quickly get a nice leg lick in and keep walking.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zd262 For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (11-04-2015), Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), kimbersmom (11-04-2015), Meeps83 (11-04-2015), Moby and Barley's Mom (11-05-2015), POPTOP (11-04-2015)

Those are all good stories!
    My old guy, who hated being hot, nosed the fan near his dog bed and turned it on. I was shocked. I turned it off. I thought that maybe it was an accident. A few minutes later, I was telling the story to my son. He asked the dog to turn the fan on. That time he used a paw! He definitely knew what he was doing after watching us do it all summer.
    Last edited by Charlotte K.; 11-04-2015 at 05:26 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (11-04-2015), Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), kimbersmom (11-04-2015), Moby and Barley's Mom (11-05-2015), POPTOP (11-04-2015)

These are all so great!

This has just started since I've been using a walker. Archie will walk up behind me, stick his head between my legs, look up and smile. I figured the walker in front of me kept him away. No way! At night to give me a lick good night, he walks under the walker, steps up on the stool I need to use to get into bed, and leans in to give me my kiss. He's such a sweet boy.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), kimbersmom (11-05-2015)

I went to the beach a few weeks ago and was pretty much the only one there so the dogs were just off running and playing. They ran up to an old man sitting on a log and were kind-of in his face. They were quite a ways away, so I couldn't see exactly what was happening. I went to go and get them and when I approached he was petting them and they were licking tears off of his cheeks. But, he was laughing and smiling. Turns out he'd just lost his yellow Lab that morning.

I would not call this cute, but the same day on the beach, there happened to be several well-decomposed dead birds and dead bird bits. Both dogs know you always deliver a bird to hand and the way I taught them to place things in my hand was by playing a game where basically they had to catch my hands. I learned the hard way never to open my hand for a mystery item from the mouth of one of my dogs (one time Sam put a dog turd in my hand that he'd "found") so they spent several minutes chasing me around the beach with nasty dead gulls! I was laughing too hard for them to take my "no bird!" command seriously.

-bird-jpg

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (11-04-2015), Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), kimbersmom (11-05-2015), POPTOP (11-05-2015)

I had Maverick at the vet one morning and was out walking around so that he'd relieve himself beforehand. A little old man in a Napa delivery truck pulled into the lot. He commented that Maverick was a very good lucking lab and that he knew all labs liked treats. He said he kept treats in his car for his dog and to give them to all the dogs he saw, but especially labs. He got out of his car and walked up to Maverick, who was body wiggling with excitement, gave him the treat and a good pat. He then thanked me and wished me a good day. So sweet!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), kimbersmom (11-05-2015), POPTOP (11-05-2015)

Our 5.5 month old won't go downstairs in the morning unless she gets to carry a sock. She doesn't chew it or eat it. She just wants to carry it down. It is her job.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Abulafia For This Useful Post:

Cooper&Izzy (12-16-2015), kimbersmom (11-05-2015), Meeps83 (11-04-2015), MikeLynn (11-05-2015), POPTOP (11-05-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos