What is your after show/class/dog event ritual?

Most people I know have a ritual after the bigger dog events or even after class. For example, one of my friends purchases an Egg McMuffin for her dog early in the morning and gives it to him on the way home. She thinks if he knows it's there, he'll be ready for the show when they arrive. There seems to be a Dairy Queen on every route I take and if not, there's one within walking distance of my house (that thankfully doesn't have a walk-up window!) so that is our routine. I go to many classes and matches, so our DQ treat is typically tied to actual events, though sometimes I'll spring for a cone if things went particularly well at a lesson or match. I'm well aware this has no effect on my dog, but for some reason I feel like we should celebrate "together" anyway.

What is your after show/class/event of some type ritual with your dog? And, do you have a picture? Also, what if things go very poorly, do you celebrate anyway?

-ice-cream-jpg

The Labs like anything. My foundation Cavalier, Tina, absolutely adored going to McDonald's with my then toddler son. Drive ins were safe for both. Our reward for both behaving after a show was a whole chicken nugget or two. I transitioned her to a burgers for her pregnancy when she was so full of puppies she barely ate. The whole ride was part of the appetite stimulant. Fresh food prepared at home did not do it as she transitioned from show girl to stay at home mom.
    Last edited by Charlotte K.; 11-04-2015 at 10:18 PM.

After the vet, we always go through McDonald's drive thru for a plain hamburger. Sometimes we'll also go to the pet store for a toy or to buy treats. Consequently, my dogs LOVE the vet and car rides. At big shows the dogs get treats or get to buy a new toy from a vendor. Doesn't matter if they do well or not. I make sure to celebrate and praise my boys in the same fashion whether we go winners dog or get dumped in the classes.

Senior Dog
    Don’t really have one, but yes, they get praised told how wonderful they are no matter how the do.

With Scully, I did start giving her a McDonald’s cheeseburger on the way home if she qualified in Utility ... a double cheeseburger if she got a UDX leg (she retired with 6 but it didn’t happen that frequently). Mulder was the same, but he only ever earned one UDX leg. I’m sure I will do that for Chloe too, if she ever qualifies in Utility.

I don’t think the dogs knew why they were getting the treat but it made me happy to do it.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

wow! my poor dogs, they never get anything LOL! Most of those would be bad news for me as I have no self control (if I were getting the dog a DQ or TimBit or EggMcMuffin i'd have to buy myself one too and that's not good)

Maybe if we compete in agility next year i'll start something with Pen.

When we are at Barn Hunt trials, whatever I get for breakfast and lunch for myself I share with Tux. I sit by his crate and give him a few pieces while I eat. Our very first trial, he got two Qs and I was so excited that when I went to Taco Bell I got him his own steak soft taco.

For agility, after each run - if he gets his weave poles, then Remi gets a half of a chicken breast, cut into pieces. OR there's a women who sells treats at many of the agility trials around here; she sells a frozen yogurt/peanut butter or banana treat that he loves.
    UACHX Remi AX AXJ MXPB MXP3 MJPB MJP4 NF
    Rookie, PE (puppy extraordinaire)

**Waiting at the bridge***
    UGRACH2 Jill CD OA OAJ NAP NJP JJ-R, 6/26/01-10/24/14...miss you, girlie.

When Bruce and I were field training we'd stop at Hardys on the way home, Bruce would get a burger no bun, and I'd have a burger and milkshake. The last session of the season, I took Sophie too. I ordered, and the young lady had such a puzzled look when I told her a burger with no bun. I smiled and told her it was for my Labs out in the car. She gave me my order and I went out to the car, opened and sat on the tailgate. I opened the crate told the dogs to wait, got the food from the bag. Both Bruce and Sophie were intently watching every move I made. When I opened the bunless burger I found 2 big slabs of meat. I smiled thinking how nice that young lady was to think of my dogs, and throw in an extra burger. So Sophie, Bruce and myself had our lunch out in the parking lot of Hardees. More than a few people smiled as they watched us enjoying our lunch.

Depending on where the show/trial is it varies a bit. Pupcup at DQ is always a favorite. He's got "special" treats he only gets at shows, "Goat Nuts" they're dehydrated goat testicles. boy howdy do they STINK. but he (and every other dog in the vicinity) seem to looooove them. He also gets chicken weiner bits. If its a weekend thing, we always go for a nice walk/hike at the end of the day. Just a way for him to relax and get any stress out. There;s usually somewhere to do a decent walk, even if its in town on leash (which is a different thing for him, as thats about the only time he does that kind of walking). And if its a weekend thing, that means his RV, so after dinner and a bone, he hops up on the couch and curls up beside me before bed. He is also a big fan of "company" coming back to the RV for lunch or a dinner bbq - he's all about the social, that boy!
    And no, routine/treats etc not affected by how well or not we've done that day.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos