Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar

Insect repellent bandanas?

I saw one in a camping store today specifically for dogs, it uses Permethrin (sp?) to repel mosquitos, no see ums, fleas and ticks, etc.

I searched the internet, and there is one made by Ex Officio for humans, but I can't find what chemical it uses.

Has anyone used one on their dog while out hiking or camping?

Just got one this year to try at camp for Hemi. The Permethrin is basically an insect repellent that binds into fabrics. It is made by Insect Shield - Permethrin, Tick Protection, Bug Repellent Blanket, Insect Repellent Apparel, Work Wear Clothing, Safety Work Wear, Safety Coveralls, Work Safety Clothing, Mosquito Repellent Clothing, Insect Repellent Clothing

The human clothing has great reviews from people online. I bought myself a Tshirt to wear this year, Camp is less than 2 weeks away so will let you know how it goes. It has been used in human clothing for a long time and is pretty safe.

The Dog bandanas get mixed review and I suspect because they don't cover as much, but dog shirts and beds made from this has 5 star reviews all over. I figure like the shirt will not protect my legs, but should protect my back and neck. So I figure the bandana is the same. Also their website says the same thing. Heavy invested areas minimal coverage may not be enough and to use topical on exposed skin. Might Help ears, neck and some of the face. We will see though. I typically use a natural product called Vetri repel. Amazon.com : Vetri Repel Flea and Tick Repellemt Wipe Pack : Pet Flea And Tick Sprays : Pet Supplies I recommend wipes as it allows you to get it it on the nose and chin and top of head easy, where spray you have to be careful with the eyes. I actually use it on myself as well. After I wipe Hemi down then I wipe myself. It is just natural oils that naturally repel insects. Anyway I figure the bandana can't hurt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

LucyTudeOn4Feet (06-05-2014)

House Broken
    I haven't tried the bandanas but we just started using natural garlic powder as a flea and tick deterrent. Strong smell when we first dish it out and while they eat it - but they don't end up with garlic breath!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shelly For This Useful Post:

LucyTudeOn4Feet (06-06-2014)

I like using Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard. You can get it on Amazon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    I like using Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard. You can get it on Amazon.
    That was a requirement when DD was in preschool in GA. They had to bring a bottle of Skin So Soft. It really worked on the pesky gnats and mosquitoes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    I totally forgot about Avon!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos