Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Baths?

Tips for Baths?

So, we woke up yesterday morning to some lovely rain (better than the white stuff I guess). Of course, my coconut head dog refused to come in and wanted to stay out as long as possible. Obviously, that leads to a "fresh" smelling dog.

Today I decided that he should probably get a bath (and maybe it would help with the shedding). I bathed him an hour ago and he was excellent...until we got out. The minute his paws hit the tile, he was running around like he drank a few liters of Coke. I couldn't even dry him because he was so wild! (I did end up catching him and drying him). He also got the zoomies At the end of his bath, I could've made a wig from all of his hair!

This isn't the first time that I've bathed him since I've had him. I've probably given him a bath 3 or 4 times (puke in the crate = puke on him, mud, etc.), but...is there some method to this madness that I'm missing? I have a rubber brush (made for dog baths) that I bought at Walmart, but I'm not really sure how to use it? I try to "comb" the soap, but should I be going against the fur? I try to do both ways, but I just don't want to hurt him in the process.

I've never seen a dog like baths, but I guess he does LOL! I'll be putting soap on him and he just sits there (sometimes he lays down) and lets me bathe him. It's the weirdest thing, but I'm thankful he isn't a demon in the shower.

Does anyone have any tips for bath time? Thank you in advance!

(One more Q: Best way to clean ears? I just take a tissue and wipe the wax, but is there a better way to this?)
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content
    In memory of Katie 3/20/94 - 2/19/07

I don't use shampoo on my dogs most of the time. They smell like dogs but not bad, or I've gone "nose blind" to their perfume! In the absence of allergies or other skin conditions or a recent skunking or rolling in dead, stinking carcasses, labs shouldn't require shampoo baths often. It can wash out the natural oils and dry their fur and skin, which can become itchy, making the owner think they need more baths, making them drier and itchier. If Murphy has no reason to be bathed other than he smells like a dog, which he is, you may wish to just try more frequent brushing and wiping him down with a wet wash cloth, even one doused in a little Listerine diluted with water by 50%, to freshen him up.

I usually just hose mine off with plain water, outside in a plastic baby pool whenever possible. That generally makes both dogs run around like wild, crazed animals, and Chase often heads straight for the dry, loose dirt under the pine trees to roll around and requires a second hosing. During the winter or when it's too cold outside, they mostly don't get bathed but if I had to, I'd take them to a local self-service dog washing place.

I use a Kong Zoom Groom and just make kind of circular movements with it when washing them to help loosen the dead hair. I dry them as thoroughly as possible with towels. Mine don't like the blow dryer particularly, but I've used that sometimes. Chase's fur is super dense and takes forever to dry. Chase loves, loves, loves water and baths and will lie in the baby pool for hours getting massaged. Lark gets in and out but doesn't lie in the pool under any circumstances.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

PinkDragon14 (11-07-2015)

Zoomies after getting wet by swimming, rain or a bath seem to be par for the course. After a bath I put his collar back on, hold on for dear life while we go back upstairs (bath in the laundry tub) and gate him in the kitchen where he can't do too much damage zooming.

I've learned to NEVER let him outside after a bath, first thing he does is find some place dirty to roll. That will happen any way on our next walk but at least he'll be dry and it won't stick as badly. If I'm lucky,

Oban is the same, he doesn't really like a bath but he will try to hop into the tub. It's as if he knows he's doomed, might as well get it over with.

I use my fingers while bathing and soon after make sure to curry comb in the direction his coat should lie so it won't dry all sticking up funny.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

I so pretty much like Smartrock. Baths are twice a year, during spring and fall shed. A warm bath helps release the undercoat. First, outside for a good brush with the Zoom Groom. Then inside for a bath using the Zoom in the tub. Rinse, rinse and rinse again. When you think you're finished, rinse some more. Close the shower curtain and try to get a good shake or two. I find gently blowing toward the nose helps. Out of the shower with the bathroom door closed and towel dry. Let loose from the bathroom and watch out, the zoomies are going to happen. Back outside for more brushing with the Zoom. This routine works great on a warm, breezy day. Off for a good walk, home and Zoom again. Yep, both Mardi and Archie go crazy after a bath. The only thing I try to stop is rolling in grass/mud. If that happens, a hose down outside. I use Earth Bath dog shampoo.

Ear cleaning: Got this great hint from Jeff and Hemi. I use a dog ear cleaner, saturate a cotton ball and roll it in my hand so it's not so cold. Clean the ear using as many wet cotton balls as necessary and then use one more that's dry to dry the ear.

Be thankful you don't have a bath hater. You know the kind, will play in any ounce of gross, dirty water outside but hates baths.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    I don't use shampoo on my dogs most of the time. They smell like dogs but not bad, or I've gone "nose blind" to their perfume! In the absence of allergies or other skin conditions or a recent skunking or rolling in dead, stinking carcasses, labs shouldn't require shampoo baths often. It can wash out the natural oils and dry their fur and skin, which can become itchy, making the owner think they need more baths, making them drier and itchier. If Murphy has no reason to be bathed other than he smells like a dog, which he is, you may wish to just try more frequent brushing and wiping him down with a wet wash cloth, even one doused in a little Listerine diluted with water by 50%, to freshen him up.

I usually just hose mine off with plain water, outside in a plastic baby pool whenever possible. That generally makes both dogs run around like wild, crazed animals, and Chase often heads straight for the dry, loose dirt under the pine trees to roll around and requires a second hosing. During the winter or when it's too cold outside, they mostly don't get bathed but if I had to, I'd take them to a local self-service dog washing place.

I use a Kong Zoom Groom and just make kind of circular movements with it when washing them to help loosen the dead hair. I dry them as thoroughly as possible with towels. Mine don't like the blow dryer particularly, but I've used that sometimes. Chase's fur is super dense and takes forever to dry. Chase loves, loves, loves water and baths and will lie in the baby pool for hours getting massaged. Lark gets in and out but doesn't lie in the pool under any circumstances.
    We're looking to possibly move in the coming months so we're trying not to let him "perfume" the house I've never heard of the Listerine tip. I'll definitely try that out this week! I've tried to blow dry him before and he gets scared and runs away. He's the biggest scaredy cat I've ever seen (this is a dog who gets scared by the ice maker LOL). The towel drying is the worst part though. He likes to sit and eat the towels as I dry him off. Sigh

We clean his room/crate/bowls/toys at least once a week (if not more). So far, the only dog smell we're having is when he decides to get a drink and slobber it everywhere. I can't tell you the amount of times I've almost slipped because I don't see it

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Zoomies after getting wet by swimming, rain or a bath seem to be par for the course. After a bath I put his collar back on, hold on for dear life while we go back upstairs (bath in the laundry tub) and gate him in the kitchen where he can't do too much damage zooming.

I've learned to NEVER let him outside after a bath, first thing he does is find some place dirty to roll. That will happen any way on our next walk but at least he'll be dry and it won't stick as badly. If I'm lucky,

Oban is the same, he doesn't really like a bath but he will try to hop into the tub. It's as if he knows he's doomed, might as well get it over with.

I use my fingers while bathing and soon after make sure to curry comb in the direction his coat should lie so it won't dry all sticking up funny.
    He gets the zoomies for about 2-3mins, crashes on the couch, and goes back for more LOL I love watching it - so entertaining! I try to not let him go outside at all following his bath. We do potty prior to the bath so he won't have to go outside for a while. Hey, I just spent 15mins wrestling you to dry you off. I'm not letting you go outside and play in the leaves!

Today I tried taking him outside with the deshedding brush and his regular brush and got a TON of hair. It's incredible to see. I'm not sure if it's due to the Fall or him losing his puppy coat, but it sure is a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    I so pretty much like Smartrock. Baths are twice a year, during spring and fall shed. A warm bath helps release the undercoat. First, outside for a good brush with the Zoom Groom. Then inside for a bath using the Zoom in the tub. Rinse, rinse and rinse again. When you think you're finished, rinse some more. Close the shower curtain and try to get a good shake or two. I find gently blowing toward the nose helps. Out of the shower with the bathroom door closed and towel dry. Let loose from the bathroom and watch out, the zoomies are going to happen. Back outside for more brushing with the Zoom. This routine works great on a warm, breezy day. Off for a good walk, home and Zoom again. Yep, both Mardi and Archie go crazy after a bath. The only thing I try to stop is rolling in grass/mud. If that happens, a hose down outside. I use Earth Bath dog shampoo.

Ear cleaning: Got this great hint from Jeff and Hemi. I use a dog ear cleaner, saturate a cotton ball and roll it in my hand so it's not so cold. Clean the ear using as many wet cotton balls as necessary and then use one more that's dry to dry the ear.

Be thankful you don't have a bath hater. You know the kind, will play in any ounce of gross, dirty water outside but hates baths.
    Thank you for the nose tip! I close the shower door and tell him to shake. He sits there and stares at me through the door. Once I open that door, he decides to shake all over the bathroom and his hair goes everywhere. I'm sure it would be a different story if HE had to clean it up

I'll definitely try the ear cleaning method next week. Thanks!
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content

Here in California I use the best water saving technique and shower with my dog Since I live in an apartment, the only option is to wash him via bath. Since I normally get soaked during this process anyway I've realized it's easier to just give in to it. When we get home from the beach we go straight to the shower. I use the shower head to wash off his back and a cup to wash off his underside. I don't usually use soap since this is mostly to get the sand and beach grime off him. I just scrub him with my hands.

i lay a towel on the floor and have another one in my hands to grab him with. Then I just start to towel as vigorously and quickly as possible because he too likes to eat the towels. Afterwards I release him and just try not to let him on the couch.

bubba doesn't really get the zoomies, but my old dog did after bath time. I always felt like she was trying to run away from the weird smell aka herself smelling clean.

I just ordered a furminator to start brushing him with that, not sure if anyone else here has had experience with it.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zd262 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by zd262 View Post
    Here in California I use the best water saving technique and shower with my dog Since I live in an apartment, the only option is to wash him via bath. Since I normally get soaked during this process anyway I've realized it's easier to just give in to it. When we get home from the beach we go straight to the shower. I use the shower head to wash off his back and a cup to wash off his underside. I don't usually use soap since this is mostly to get the sand and beach grime off him. I just scrub him with my hands.

i lay a towel on the floor and have another one in my hands to grab him with. Then I just start to towel as vigorously and quickly as possible because he too likes to eat the towels. Afterwards I release him and just try not to let him on the couch.

bubba doesn't really get the zoomies, but my old dog did after bath time. I always felt like she was trying to run away from the weird smell aka herself smelling clean.

I just ordered a furminator to start brushing him with that, not sure if anyone else here has had experience with it.
    Be careful with the Furminator, they can do a number on a Lsb coat, stripping it badly. I only use a Zoom Groom and a metal, wide tooth comb.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (11-07-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Be careful with the Furminator, they can do a number on a Lsb coat, stripping it badly. I only use a Zoom Groom and a metal, wide tooth comb.
    This is good to know! It has such great reviews on amazon. I have the zoom groom, but I didn't really feel like it was helping that much.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

Quote Originally Posted by zd262 View Post

I looked into a furminator right before we brought him home and decided against it (figured it'd be cheaper at Walmart). During Prime Day on Amazon, I found a great deshedding tool that I picked up for under $10. It works great! Here's the link in case you're interested: : Amazon.com: DreamSky deShedding Tool For Small, Medium Large Dogs/Cats With Short And Long Hair

As for the towel thing, he jumps right on the floor towel and starts attacking it. I try to catch him between my legs and "hold" him so I can at least stop him from dripping. I guess I'll never solve that one LOL
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content

The garden hose works with pretty well for us!

Sophie getting a bath!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

PinkDragon14 (11-08-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos