Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doggie vasectomies?

We'd like to keep Maverick intact. He's a good dog with no marking issues or hormone issues. However if the need arises I guess I hesitate to actually neuter him. Has anyone done a vasectomy on their dog? Was it more expensive or a reasonable price? What was the recovery time? Was it a same day surgery? Was it difficult to find someone to perform the operation?

Thanks!

Was wondering about this myself. I know they tie tubes in bitches now, and I wish I'd done that with Sophie instead of a full spay.

Consider whether you should just leave him intact. My thoughts are, if the dog still acts and thinks he's intact he might as well be. You will still have to keep him from females he might harass and mount and tie. Dogs do get STDs. He may still want to roam and escape though in my experience the wild stories you hear about that are pretty rare. He could not impregnate a female but he could still want to and try to and I believe that's where most of the problems come from. And to other people he will still look intact. Personally, if a stranger told me their male had had a vascectomy I'd take that with a grain of salt, how could I tell?

Sorry, I know that's not what you asked. But I did think about it and decided, what's the point? If it looks, acts and thinks it's a duck it might as well be, My responsiblity and need for care remain the same.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

I cannot think of anyone whose dog has actually had a vasectomy although I believe the long-absent Pete (Satch) and voodoo (Chili) (both guys ) talked about that option if they ever decided to do it at all. You would think it would take less time to perform and less time to recover. The few articles I browsed online indicate most vets are not trained in vasectomies in vet school. It would be interesting to know if kennels, doggy day cares and other places like that would allow dogs with veterinary proof of a vasectomy if they normally insist on spayed/neutered dogs.

Senior Dog
    I would suspect that a vasectomy would not be that useful, honestly - I doubt doggie daycares or boarding would accept it because the dog would still behave as an intact male and have to be managed as such.

We kept Mulder intact his whole life and never had any issues with it, so if he’s not giving you any trouble and you don’t “need” it for anything, then I would say just let him be. It’s different for bitches where the risks of pyometra continue to rise as they get older - with males it’s not going to make a huge difference in his health at this point.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

House Broken
    I was just reading about Zuetering. May be another thing for you to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by stella3 View Post
    I was just reading about Zuetering. May be another thing for you to look into.
    Zeutering gone wrong is scary. The Zeuterin injection is marketed for pups between 3 and 10 months. Is it being used on mature males without problems?

If it is not violating a purchase or adoption agreement, and you are very careful, why neuter him? OTH, a neutered male can be easier.

I tend to agree with Snowshoe. I think the bottom line is that responsible pet owners aren't going to let their dogs get into a situation that allows them to pro-create anyway. Typically, dogs with owners such as this are neutered to alter behavior or to accommodate the owner's lifestyle. So, the vasectomy would be unnecessary.

There is a vet in my area that does vasectomies and ovary sparing spays. A friend of mine recently had her dog in for a vasectomy. I too was wondering though what the benefit/point of a vasectomy is? All of my friends that I know who have either done this or would consider doing it, are all dog savvy people who wouldn’t allow their intact dog to be in a position to have spontaneous relations with a female dog in the first place, whether or not they have had vasectomies. I can kind of get ovary sparing spays, if the removal of the uterus will negate the risk for pyometra while still allowing the hormones to be present. But I’m not really sure what benefit there is to a vasectomy?

Not sure of the point of a vasectomy, he will want to go exactly what an intact dog does anyway. My guy has to be left intact until he is fully grown. And quite honestly if he is not a nuisance he may just stay that way.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos