Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Dog ski jacket recommendation?

We are thinking of taking our lab to ski with us this winter. We want to buy a down coat / ski jacket for her. I searched on petsmart, petco and amazon, but I did not find any that I like. Any recommendation for the brand? Thanks!

I've been cross country skiing and snowshoeing with my dogs for years. Oban has a special water repellent coat that has a warm downy lining. He finds it a bit too warm and many times needs a good roll in the snow to cool down. Unfortunately there's not much I can do to prevent him warming up like that as it's the coat he came with and it's stuck on him; unless I shave him, I guess.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (11-15-2015), Annette47 (11-14-2015), ckfalz (11-14-2015), Maxx&Emma (11-14-2015), Meeps83 (11-14-2015), Tanya (11-14-2015)

if it's nice enough to go skiiing your dog is unlikely to need a jacket especially if they have a good "lab" double coat. especially running around!

I had a couple of different coats for our old girl. We live in NC, it doesn't normally get that cold, but every once in a while, we'd get a major cold snap and her coat wasn't thick and she didn't have much undercoat (because we live in NC), so I purchased a couple of coats. Two were Weatherbeetas, they are like horse-style blankets. I also had a fleece one for cooler days, but not frigid days. She was an old girl and didn't have a lot of meat on her bones, so she'd get chilled. The goldens were all fine with their own coats.

I can not imagine a healthy Lab with a proper coat needing anything but what the good Lord, (and good genes!), provides.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I would say that the average lab would be good well below freezing while moving around. My only concern would be snow packing up and freezing in their paws, and that only happens with mine when it's single digit temps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (11-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    I would say that the average lab would be good well below freezing while moving around. My only concern would be snow packing up and freezing in their paws, and that only happens with mine when it's single digit temps.
    Mushers Secret really helps prevent this!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Anthony is a 'real' lab and Stella I'm sure is a mix and their coats are the big difference. He needs nothing outside in upstate NY winters but I have to keep an eye on Stella, no layer.

I don't think they need coats. But if I were to get one (DH thinks Wrigley needs one), I would get one here: The quilted with the neck warmer.... Coats Made By De |

I've seen her work and have a cooling coat...

two brands I do like are Hurtta and Chilly Dogs. But they are not cheap. Jackets made for dogs on the move.
    Winter Jacket - Hurtta
    Chilly Dogs - Outdoor gear for Active Dogs - Dog Coats

I did want to add, Rocky doesn't have a very "thick" coat but must have a solid under coat as, as long as we were moving, he was good for long walks in the bush at -40 (celcius). I have photos of his whiskers all frosted but he was fine. he'd spend an afternoon outside in the winter when we headed up tot he cottage. However, once he hit around 10 he started having a harder tiem with the cold. probably as he isn't "moving" as much, and has arthritis. so he DOES now have a chilly dog jacket for the colder days (below -20 celcius).

Penny I monitor, she rarely needs a jacket really. I do have one for some days but honestly if it's nice enough for us to go skijoring or cani-crossing it's generally not "jacket" weather haha.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos