Experience with leash-reactive dogs?

Teller has been doing great! He's settled in even more and seems to have accepted the house rules (cat food isn't his, no zoomies/rough play in the house, house time is calm time); he can now be trusted to be left alone for short periods of time. He's also gotten a lot better with commands and doesn't mind wearing the e collar (we are not using it yet, but just put it on and take it off several times a day so he gets used to it). He even follows my commands in the dog park; so we are making progress! We are just having fun and getting comfortable with one another at the moment, but will start in obedience classes around the first of the year.

But, I've noticed something I haven't before... he appears to be leash-reactive, specifically barrier frustrated. It only happens sometimes and not with every dog. Given his young age and lack of proper socialization as a puppy, he can sometimes be too intense for certain dogs. I understand this and try to keep him away from strange dogs, especially on-leash. I don't generally like on-leash meetings anyways and tell other dog owners that he gets weird on a leash and not to approach. Well, sometimes people are bad listeners and just let their dogs come right up to mine. Teller wears his prong collar when we go out for walks because he pulls so much and tries to eat random things on the ground. This is another reason I tell dog owners not to approach, because I know he likes to bounce around when he meets other dogs and obviously short lead + prong collar + bouncing isn't a good recipe. Anyways, sometimes when these people approach he tries to play and then starts snarling, jumping, and making noise. He does the same thing when he first goes through the gate at the dog park or before going into a backyard for a playdate.

This behavior unnerved me so I did research and discovered leash-reactivity, however he does not meet the traditional definition. There is no barking, lunging, growling, etc. when he sees another dog. He is always calm and knows the "watch me" command. This does not happen unless another dog is right there meeting him, he's on leash, and the leash isn't slack enough. It also is only certain dogs that seem to trigger it. Then there is the whole gate thing. If another dog approaches the outside of the fence and he is inside, this does not happen. It only happens when another dog comes to greet him at a gate and he is on the outside. Does not happen when he is walking along the fence on the outside either. Then I read about barrier frustration and that seemed a more likely description of his behavior. Teller is the friendliest dog I have seen and has not met a person or animal he hasn't wanted to play with and lick.

Does anybody have any experience with a leash-reactive dog? He does know the "watch me" command and, like I said, this only happens when there is some kind of barrier preventing him from running around with another dog. I've read about "reactive rover" classes, has anybody tried this? I don't think this is serious enough to involve a behaviorist, but I could be wrong. It's almost like he is a child throwing a tantrum. At any rate, I try not to overexpose him to too much stimuli. We will go on walks, to the river, dog park, etc. and I don't take him anywhere that is crowded.

Try Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed" Helped us in some similar situations. Meant for fearful, reactive and easily distracted dogs and not just off leash, on leash too. LOL, as the book and some reviews say, we got some odd looks walking into the training centre where everyone else was saying "Watch me, Watch me" and I was saying, "Look at That." But in one year I saw lots more people using this technique. It's Premack Principle, it's not new at all, just her presentation is fresh.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Tanya (11-16-2015)

Yes, try to the book Snowshoe suggested. Leash reactivity is very common. It's also something that has to be managed. It can be dealt with, but management is huge for this type of behavior, especially as you are learning more and determining a path to training. If the leash reactivity escalates OR if another dog responds to his cues by attacking, you may experience huge set-backs and additional problems.

I have had plenty of dogs come up to my dogs while they are leashed, but it sounds like this is happening to you on a regular basis. Can you stay away from those situations for now?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Tanya (11-16-2015)

It hasn't happened on a regular basis and he is only around other dogs at the dog park, but the same people go to the dog park and he has gotten to know all of the dogs that go there during our time window. Like I said, I just noticed this behavior. I honestly think the prong collar and short lead are what's causing it because he doesn't have the freedom to move around. I have to get out and exercise him and we go on walks so that he will go to the bathroom. It is in these situations that people have come up to us wanting to "say hello," but also I don't initiate the approach and warn people away. I know enough to not scold him or punish him. The last thing I want to do is turn barrier frustration into something worse.

Thanks for the book suggestions, I will check them out.

My personal opinion, I would never use a prong collar with a leash reactive dog. Cabo is leash reactive, it is fear based (towards both other dogs and people). If he were wearing a prong and pulled at the leash while being reactive to another person/dog, he is going to associate other people/dogs with the negative experience of the prong, which will reinforce his fearfulness and dislike of seeing other people/dogs while on leash. I have taken a Reactive Rover class and done a private session with the same trainer. Not all trainers are created equal, I was fortunate to have a very very knowledgeable one who I can’t say enough good things about. I bring treats when we walk, and as soon as Cabo sees another person/dog, lots of verbal praise and treats. He now has an auto look, where as soon as he sees people/dogs, I don’t have to say or do anything he will automatically look at me and he gets a treat. I absolutely do not let other people or dogs approach us. No one has ever tried, if they did I would make sure it was clear that they were not to do so. My trainer also showed me how to muzzle train Cabo. He has never worn the muzzle out in public, but it is another tool I have for safety purposes, and when a dog is properly muzzle trained it is not a big deal to them to wear it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (11-16-2015), Tanya (11-16-2015), WhoopsaDaisy (11-17-2015)

I have not heard of this. Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not a great obedience authority by any means... I can't give you any insight into the meaning behind Teller's behavior but...

In the circumstances you described, it seems to me that SIT and/or HEEL is/are your friends here. Kinda like when you don't know what to do, just stop.

I just HATE steee-yuuu-pid people who let their dogs run up into my dog's face when I've told them not to. (Don't I get a vote on this or something?) When I see stupid people coming with obviously equally stupid and out of control dogs...) I put my dog on a SIT then step in front of her, while yelling (in the nicest possible voice...) Get. Your. Dog! Whereupon they usually blither something... like how friendly their dog is and what's-the-matter-with-your-dog-lady? kind of stuff.

I don't know if it's good or bad or whatever. But if there is a bad dog-dog encounter, nothing good can happen. It also gives me an opportunity to work on an important (I would say vital) command under tremendous provocation/distraction. It might be argued that I'm putting myself in harms way, but that die was cast when Stee-yuuu-pid let their dog run up to mine (is there anyone who wouldn't be trying to protect their dog?)

I guess what I'm saying is that when you don't know what to do... simplify and do something the dog knows. And protect your dog... heel him away, sit him and get in front of him... whatever.

Here is a recent article on leash aggression by Susan Garrett. Leash Aggression in Dogs: Are We Trying To Put Out A Fire With Gasoline?

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos