Solid Car Crate / Restraint?

I am certain that this has been asked, but I can't find the thread... and I'd like current opinion.

Hoku is coming very close to outgrowing the pet crate we use for her in the back seat. It's just a typical Vari Kennel type crate. She's moved up to a larger one for her nighttime sleeping, but we can't fit the larger size in the back seat of the car.

The car is a Toyota Four-runner. Or Rav. Something like that. Anyway, it does have a rear cargo area. The larger kennel *can* fit there, but frankly I worry about safety in the case of a rear end collision (argh, I can hardly think about it). I'd like her in the back seat, but I don't think she can fit there much longer.

Thoughts? Are there really solid kennels out there for the rear of a smallish SUV sort of car?

Variocage is I believe the only brand crash tested. They are expensive, but would be the safest. I recently heard of someone who was in a terrible car crash, and her dog was in one of these and it saved his life.

Variocage U.S. - Mim Variocage Dog Crate, Variocage Car Crash Safety Crate

Thanks. Today I found a site that tested about six or so brands against each other, and the Variocage didn't actually do very well. Now I'm even more confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
    Thanks. Today I found a site that tested about six or so brands against each other, and the Variocage didn't actually do very well. Now I'm even more confused.
    The crash testing done by Center For Pet Safety chose Gunnar Crates as their 2015 best performer. I use Variocage because they have crumple zones just like automobiles. They have better ventilation than some of the other crates (like Gunnar), and they have emergency hatches for the dogs to be extracted in the event the crate doors are jammed in a rear crash. I think the crumple zones are key for absorbing impact. It doesn't do me any good if my crate and ties are intact but the dog inside the crate has absorbed all the crash impact and been killed bouncing around the inside of the crate at full force. Driving with dogs is always a risk.

2015 Crate Study Results - Center for Pet Safety

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (11-19-2015)

I know. We live in a city, and our dog is always with one of us. And that's great! But this part makes me so nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Abulafia View Post
    Can you please post a link to that site?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

I think the site Abulafia is referring to is the one that dxboon posted - The Center for Pet Safety. They did a bunch of testing of both seat belts, and crates. Interesting how some of the crates did much better when they were set against the back of the back seat, and did much worse when tied down on their own (nothing to brace against).
    Also interesting that they said the Variocage did poorly because it crumpled, but yet it did exactly as designed, it crumpled ONLY to the extent that it was designed to do, leaving the area intact that it was supposed to. And, the door operated afterwards.

I too do a lot of driving with Scout, and am really wondering what the best thing to do will be, especially if i get dog #2 this coming year. Yes, there is room behind the middle seat in my truck (the rear area with that 3rd row seat folded down) for 2 crates side by side, but its a loooonnnngggggg way up from the ground to that back area. And the way the centre row of seats fold, I can't put those down and have the crates accessible from both side doors (much lower floor there plus running boards to get up with if the seats folded differently).
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Yes; that was the site. I had been considering the Proline, but am now unconvinced. Gunnar looks good, but so does the Variocage.

Since she goes to work w/ my husband every day (he's a contractor, so works at various houses, and she's always welcomed), she is in the car a lot. And she's been in a regular crate in the back seat thus far... and that's fine. But she's getting a bit large for it, so now we'll have to put her in the back (Toyota Rav or something like that), and I'm trying to figure out the next step. It's a bit nerve racking.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    I think the site Abulafia is referring to is the one that dxboon posted - The Center for Pet Safety. They did a bunch of testing of both seat belts, and crates. Interesting how some of the crates did much better when they were set against the back of the back seat, and did much worse when tied down on their own (nothing to brace against).
    Also interesting that they said the Variocage did poorly because it crumpled, but yet it did exactly as designed, it crumpled ONLY to the extent that it was designed to do, leaving the area intact that it was supposed to. And, the door operated afterwards.

I too do a lot of driving with Scout, and am really wondering what the best thing to do will be, especially if i get dog #2 this coming year. Yes, there is room behind the middle seat in my truck (the rear area with that 3rd row seat folded down) for 2 crates side by side, but its a loooonnnngggggg way up from the ground to that back area. And the way the centre row of seats fold, I can't put those down and have the crates accessible from both side doors (much lower floor there plus running boards to get up with if the seats folded differently).
    Can you use a ramp or stairs for your dog to get up in the truck? I use the Petloader XL folding steps for my guys to get up in the truck.

Senior Dog
    I have a friend who recently got Variocages for her dogs. Originally, she only got one for her fiancee’s small car as they would be driving to FL in it for the Classic (National Obedience), and she was worried about her border collie’s safety, but she was so pleased with it once it came that she got more for her Suburban for when she takes all her dogs places.

They are really nice but they are a lot of $$.

Ours ride in the back of our minivan (3rd row folded down) in heavy gauge wire crates which are braced up against the 2nd row seats and wedged in so tight (two JUST barely fit) that they will not move no matter what. There is a foot and a half or so of space between the back of the crates and the back of the van, so hopefully if we did get rear ended, that gap would absorb some of the crumpling. For now, we have two crates, and on the rare occasions where we take all 3 somewhere at the same time, we put the two pups in a single crate. When they get too big for that, we’ll have to fold down one of the 2nd row seats and put a third crate there instead ... which would mean leaving one of the kids behind! (or taking two cars, LOL).

Not ideal, but what we can afford to do for now.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos