Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Help! Vomit after Sentinel

We have been feeding Dudu Sentinel (26-50lbs) monthly since 8 months ago. Now she just reached 50 pounds and we switched to the pill for 51-100 lbs. I was concerned that might be too strong but both out vet and online comments said that should be fine and it won't over dose. However I just fed her 1 pill at 5pm with her dinner. Then at 8pm she threw up. Then at 9:30pm she threw up again! She has never threw up twice. We are really concerned about this. We wonder if we should redose her. Also we are really worried this is too strong for her since her weight is at the lower border. But if we feed her the pill for 26-50 lbs, the vet is worried that might not be enough to prevent heart worm.... So what should we do?

Senior Dog
    This is why I don't "overdose".

I would wait a week and then give her the smaller dose. And wait till she gains more weight before jumping dose strength...she's at 50 and the 26 - 50 should cover her. Or switch brands...not familiar with all the ingredients in Sentinel but it may be just too much of one of them, not all. Not all dogs can handle all products.

Considering the weather in OH, is Sentinel required year round?
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sue-Ram View Post
    Considering the weather in OH, is Sentinel required year round?
    Yes, the eggs once in the blood stream can actually lay dormant for a year. The heart worm meds don't kill the eggs, they kill the hatched larvae. The larvae can live a while too. Ohio is little farther south but I was still seeing mosquitoes a few weeks ago, it has been a warm year this year.

Then, I might look into switching to another brand, Hemi had issues with Sentinel as well, that's why we switched to revolution. It is a topical that is absorbed into the skin, and they make it in several different size dosages, they have a 40-85lb dosage. However I don't know the effects of combining that if they already might have had some sentinel. Hemi took a month off of sentinel before going on Revolution. So this would be something to discuss with your vet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (11-20-2015)

If 3 hours passed between the time Dudu took the Sentinel and the time of the first vomiting, there's a chance a good amount was absorbed, or enough that the vet would probably recommend not re-dosing for this month. Did you actually see the medicine in the vomit? Give the vet a call, tell them what happened, and ask about giving another dose. And I'd ask if a different medicine could be prescribed.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Archie had a similar reaction but to Heartgard. We had to switch to Sentinel.

I would not recommend redosing. Let your vet know. Your area is on the cusp of not needing dosing for the winter. By the time spring comes, the 51-100 dose would be more appropriate than now.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    i too wouldn't redose.

i had that once with eli, and never gave another dose till about 6 weeks later (i stretch , especially at this time of year)

House Broken
    We just came back from the vet's. Actually she vomited twice more over the night (totally four times). We were so worried and went to see our vet the first thing this morning. After checking the temperature and a CBC test, out vet determined that Dudu had a low fever and was infected by some virus because two measures were slightly out of the range. The Sentinel thing was just a coincidence (or maybe further upset her stomach?). He confirmed that we do not have to redose and he believed vomiting was not caused by Sentinel. Then Dudu had three injections, one of which was stinging! And some pills were sent home and we need to withholding food for 24 hours (poor girl! she is starving now). I really hope she can get better soon. She has been so sick this month, diarrhea twice and now vomiting. If you see this post, I hope you can send good mojo to Dudu and we really hope she will not get sick again.

Sending good thoughts that she is not sick again

Mojo sent!!! Hope she's tail wagging happy in the morning!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos