Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

open wound - opinions please

This is about a cat. I know I'm on the wrong forum but I need opinions quickly. We can carry the topic to the correct forum then.

You know, I rescued a stray cat, just fostering, not adopted. She had a deep open wound on her leg. She had an operation 3 weeks ago. Her healing process is too slow and I'm depressed, crying every day. We're going to a vet regularly. Besides that I also asked to another vet for a second opinion. Both says that her healing will take time.

I want to show you the pictures of her leg. Please be aware that they are graphic. I need to hear something from you. Maybe you had similar problems with your dogs/cats and I wonder about the healing process. Maybe you have some good solutions, I don't know.

I took this picture 3 hours ago https://i.hizliresim.com/lrBoBp.jpg
    Then I removed those white tissues, it took me 1 hour and 40 minutes. This is after the removal https://i.hizliresim.com/MglYp7.jpg
    Both vets told me that for a quick healing we need to remove those white parts.

I'm too tired to write about the treatment It's 2:30 am here. Briefly, wet bandage with ethacridinlactat (antiseptic), took off the bandage, clean the wound, apply two oitments, one is centella asiatica, second is nitrofurazone. Let the wound to stay open for some time.
    But it seems like healing will last forever.

What do you think? Is it too bad?
    Cat is this.

-img_2470-jpg

I'd be relying heavily on my Vet. I've had bigger wounds in my own cats but in places where skin could be drawn together to be stitched over the wound. I'll guess because that's on a skinny cat leg there isn't enough skin to do that with so your Vet is expecting healing by second intention? And that does take a long time.

She lets you poke around in there and clean that out? What a good kitty. What are you taking the white stuff off with?

Sorry, I don't think I've been much help. I think we have some people who work at Vet offices who might come by and be more helpful. It's so good of you to do this, I hope kitty does heal up as soon as she can.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

capra (11-24-2015)

Looks good to me. Those open wound healings are a hot mess. Good for you for sticking with it and helping that poor cat! Don't be upset. It looks really clean. Great job!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

capra (11-24-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I'd be relying heavily on my Vet. I've had bigger wounds in my own cats but in places where skin could be drawn together to be stitched over the wound. I'll guess because that's on a skinny cat leg there isn't enough skin to do that with so your Vet is expecting healing by second intention? And that does take a long time.

She lets you poke around in there and clean that out? What a good kitty. What are you taking the white stuff off with?

Sorry, I don't think I've been much help. I think we have some people who work at Vet offices who might come by and be more helpful. It's so good of you to do this, I hope kitty does heal up as soon as she can.
    Actually she had an operation under general anesthesia. But after 1 week all the stitches removed by themselves because of the infection No more skin right now to repeat the operation.
    No she is not a good kitty. I have bandages all over me

I'm holding a small piece of sterile gauze with the tweezers and remove the white part slowly, bit by bit. She is a good kitty only in this operation. I think her wound itching and she feels better. Otherwise, if you know cats, believe me this is the king of all cats, lol.
    Thank you, of course your comment is helpful

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
    Looks good to me. Those open wound healings are a hot mess. Good for you for sticking with it and helping that poor cat! Don't be upset. It looks really clean. Great job!
    Thank you, you made my day by saying this.

coppercleaner
    I have found that Vetricyn works really well on open wounds on animals. You're kitties wound actually looks good, thanks to your good care. The Vetricyn will ward off further infection, and improve healing time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to coppercleaner For This Useful Post:

capra (11-24-2015)

House Broken
    I'm glad that it looks good. Because it looks bad to me
    Do you mean this product?

coppercleaner
    Look for the "vetericyn plus all animal wound and skin care" in a 4 oz. spray bottle, also shown on the same site.
    Last edited by coppercleaner; 11-24-2015 at 10:50 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to coppercleaner For This Useful Post:

capra (11-25-2015)

wow, you are doing a GREAT job with that wound! not a vet or a vet tech, but i see a clean wound, with no excess weeping or running, and no infection. and in fact, good healthy-looking tissue.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

capra (11-25-2015)

Ah, poor kitty. My one thought, and I can't tell by the pictures, is the fur clipped well around the wound? Would that be a source of irritation/infection?

Not much help. Sending healing mojo.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

15. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

capra (11-25-2015)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    wow, you are doing a GREAT job with that wound! not a vet or a vet tech, but i see a clean wound, with no excess weeping or running, and no infection. and in fact, good healthy-looking tissue.
    Thank you so much I'm very glad to hear these nice words about her wound. I wish I took a picture of her leg in the very beginning. It was so bad, bones were visible.

It took me some time to learn how to handle it. In the beginning I took her to the vet every other day but actually, I couldn't look at the wound. Even I left the room when the vet examined her. Outside the room closing my ears not to hear her screaming. She had infection for nearly two weeks. Some days she had fever 40.2 Celcius (104.3 F). She needed antibiotic injections. After a week I started to remove the excess running by squeezing her wound at home. Vet was doing this each time and asking me just to apply biokadin (iodine) 3-4 times in a day. Then I asked him, if it will ve better I can try to squeeze the wound. He said yes. So I started.

Now I'm not taking her to the vet (for 5 days). I'm sending the pics of her leg to another vet every day. I think I got used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Ah, poor kitty. My one thought, and I can't tell by the pictures, is the fur clipped well around the wound? Would that be a source of irritation/infection?
    No, vet did not clipped the fur, not a bit. He could have done so during the operation very easily. A few days ago I asked to another vet (a friend of my friend), sent the pics of her wound, he told the same thing. So I tried to shave it but it was very difficult because all the fur is sticked together and also to the skin. I was afraid to cut her skin. He told me another method to clip the fur. I'll try it. This vet is far away from my house, that's why I'm not able to go there. But I trust him, so I'll continue with him.

Thank you so much for your comments.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos