Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going to my first dog show! Tips?

This weekend I'll be heading out to the Labrador Owners Club specialty with the breeder we've chosen for our next pup. I'm quite excited! She's offered to mentor me and teach me some things as I'd love to dabble in a bit of showing with my new guy when he comes next year.

I'm a horse person, so the show environment is nothing new to me, the early mornings, long days, lots of work, etc., no problem.

Are there any insider tips I should be aware of? I know at a horse show if you wear anything but closed toe shoes you totally reveal yourself as not knowing much - getting stepped on by a horse happens all the time. Are there similar giveaways at dog shows of a total newb? Do they go really late into the day? (it's not unheard of to still be at a horse show well into the evening).

I'm packing a lunch, but should I bring money for other things - like will there be shopping? I'd love to bring home a present for Archie. How can I really make the most of the day?

Sooo many labbies in one place. I'm excited!
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Have done this many times. Have several local friends who are breeders and love to go to the shows. Those who show dress nicely as a show respect to the judges. I usually go in a nice pair of pants, blouse and jacket since I'm not going into the ring. I wear comfortable shoes that match the pants, i.e. black Sketchers or similar with black pants.

Mostly I keep my mouth shut and ears open. Amazing how much there is to learn by really listening. I'll ask questions when the breeder is not busy.

Yes, take money. There are some fantastic vendors usually available and to get a cold drink or a special treat.

In a multi or all breed show, labs usually show early in the morning. If your dog is a winner, then yes, the day can be long waiting for winners dog, winners bitch, BIS.

Most important, have fun. An all lab show is a feast for the eyes. It's an awesome opportunity to go with a breeder.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Archie (06-05-2014)

Fun!!! Dress depends on the venue, weather, your location/culture, etc. Khakis, nice jeans, summer dress/skirt, polo, twin-set, blouse, sandals, ballet flats are all appropriate. I find east coasters are more formal.

If it's outside, bring a hat and sunscreen. You might even want to bring a golf umbrella to keep the sun off. Keep the umbrella away from the obedience rings though. Most should be desensitized, however, I would feel really bad spooking a dog in the middle of a run. Much like a horse show!

I think the rest is pretty common sense: don't bug a busy or nervous-looking handler, ask before you pet, etc. Are you just watching conformation? If you watch obedience or rally, my advice is simply to watch quietly from a distance until someone seems to be finished for the day.

Yes, bring money! If there are vendors they are often having some good deals. I have found excellent values at bigger dog shows on things like toys and antlers.

They may or may not have food and water. Often they take care of handlers, but don't worry too much about spectators (depending on size of show and venue).

Get there early and plan to stay late. Try to get a program the day before so you can plan where you want to be and when so you don't miss something you really wanted to see. There are often several rings going on at the same time.

Have fun and soak it all up!

Is there going to be a puppy match for the 4-6 months olds, aka a puppy rodeo? If so, don't miss it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Archie (06-05-2014)

Every show is different, and I've never been to a Canadian specialty, but when I show at specialties in my area, besides all my show equipment, I always bring an outdoor folding chair (mine looks like this: Amazon.com : Picnic Time Portable Folding Sports Chair, Navy : Folding Patio Chairs : Patio, Lawn Garden), water for myself and dog(s), money -- especially for a catalog in your case, so you can identify dogs in the ring and note down who catches your eye. At larger specialties there is often shopping, but most every club will do a raffle or silent auction to raise money to support various programs, so whenever I go to a show I always buy some raffle tickets to support the club holding the event. Since you show horses, I'm sure you have all the commonsense protocol down already about right/wrong times to approach exhibitors, not being a distraction to animals competing in the ring, etc. Have fun! Labrador specialties are the most fun IMO.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Archie (06-05-2014)

No advice, but have fun!!!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

Archie (06-05-2014)

House Broken
    Dress comfortably, bring a chair, and have money. You might want to get a catalog too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam I Am For This Useful Post:

Archie (06-05-2014)

Enjoy and come back here with lots of pictures!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Archie (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
    Enjoy and come back here with lots of pictures!
    Thank you!! I totally would have forgotten my camera. Now I'll just have to figure out how to post pictures bigger than thumbnails
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

I second bringing a chair and getting a catalog! If you're planning on showing, I'm sure your mentor/breeder will help with this as well, but I find it helps to watch the other exhibitors (especially the handlers) on how they present the dog.

I'd love to make it up to the LOC at some point, heard it's a great show. Have fun!
    Hidden Content
    ~Cara Deo Labradors~

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CaraDeo For This Useful Post:

Archie (06-05-2014)

I'm jealous. I would love to go to a show! Have fun!
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to EmmaJo11 For This Useful Post:

Archie (06-05-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos