Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

field Labs way more energy

I may be asking the obvious but my 7 year old girl, Hope, who I have had 9 months, has amazing energy. Much more than my English Lab Maxxie did. I'm assuming this is the norm?
    Do they stay that way for a long time? She is super sweet & super obedient but man can she get riled up

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends.

Thank you! And the answer is YES. But on the other hand you did not know her at 2 years of age. Maybe she has mellowed.

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    Yes. It's amazing.

Yes. In some cases, they may as well be different breeds!

Senior Dog
    I kind of take the high energy level for granted as we have 120 acres for the dogs to blow off steam but M brings a whole new perspective. She can be quiet in the house but there are times when she is literally off the wall. She, Huggie and Luna ( the dog from down the road) will play for hours running and wrestling. Then I will take M out to train and she still has energy to burn. Over the last week we have not got out to train and it showed up yesterday. It was biscuit time and M tore around the living room, made a flying leap and did a back flip of the back off the chesterfield pushing it across the floor about 2 ft. Needless to say my husband was not impressed. Today we will get out and run some lines rain or no rain. It has been raining for 2 days and the snow is all go this morning so as long as it doesn't freeze we can train. Tomorrow is a pheasant hunt out back so hopefully she will get some more exercise. Not sure if it is wise to let her have a live pheasant though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
    I kind of take the high energy level for granted as we have 120 acres for the dogs to blow off steam but M brings a whole new perspective. She can be quiet in the house but there are times when she is literally off the wall. She, Huggie and Luna ( the dog from down the road) will play for hours running and wrestling. Then I will take M out to train and she still has energy to burn. Over the last week we have not got out to train and it showed up yesterday. It was biscuit time and M tore around the living room, made a flying leap and did a back flip of the back off the chesterfield pushing it across the floor about 2 ft. Needless to say my husband was not impressed. Today we will get out and run some lines rain or no rain. It has been raining for 2 days and the snow is all go this morning so as long as it doesn't freeze we can train. Tomorrow is a pheasant hunt out back so hopefully she will get some more exercise. Not sure if it is wise to let her have a live pheasant though.
    This is very funny especially the part about the back flip. Hope will sometimes literally fly towards me when I play with her at the dog park, when she is fetching her bumper. some times I don't love it as she looks like she is crazed. Like yours, mine is really good in the house & the office. We get out usually 4 times a day. 2 small play times & 2 hour long play / walk. I actually enjoy her the most just walking in the big forest at UBC. She loves the beach too but is a lunatic when she is fetching stuff.

Senior Dog
    My Honey was hyperactive and anxious...to the point of internal overheating/seizures, diagnosed at the age of 6. She bounced off the wall...actually, I called her "dog on a pogo stick" and "bad hips waiting to happen" because she always jumped up and down (e.g., her nose hit my ear when I was fixing the dogs' meals). Poorly bred field Lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Alix B View Post
    I may be asking the obvious but my 7 year old girl, Hope, who I have had 9 months, has amazing energy. Much more than my English Lab Maxxie did. I'm assuming this is the norm?
    Do they stay that way for a long time? She is super sweet & super obedient but man can she get riled up

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends.
    Yes, they're bred for it since they are bred to work for a living. A field bred Labrador should have lots of enthusiasm and stamina because a working dog works in the most challenging circumstances; tough brush, land & water, often over lots of distance. And they have to be able to stay alert all day. No problem for the right dog!

EvanG

Yes. Even field folk like a dog with an off switch. Most field dogs have one. (Right now, mine are black heaps on top of their dog beds.) It's just when something exciting is happening, they're ALL OVER IT! (Like Anna's "biscuit time")

House Broken
    lol oh yeah they are. Boomer is field bred and as soon as I start grabbing my training bags he goes bananas. Even after a long training session we let the labs out and let them run the property and swim while we sit back and have beers. Then he sleeps the half hour ride home and when we get back he's like "THAT WAS FUN, WHAT'S NEXT?!" sigh.....

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos