Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Autism like behaviors in dogs

Has anyone every had a dog that displayed autistic behaviors? Can dogs have autism? I work with individuals in this kind of population so I am curious to know if dogs can have autism, what doesdog autism look like? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Senior Dog

Interesting question. Had to go looking and found this: Can dogs have autism? - WebAnswers.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

SunDance (06-06-2014)

The problem I have with that link is there is no study that links vaccines to autism. There was a study by some doctor, but it turned out he falsified his results. and his license was revoked.

But, I would imagine that it is possible for any animal to have a mental illness or a personality disorders like humans.
    Last edited by emma_Dad; 06-06-2014 at 11:47 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emma_Dad For This Useful Post:

bett (06-07-2014), doubledip1 (06-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by emma_Dad View Post
    The problem I have with that link is there is know study that links vaccines to autism. There was a study by some doctor, but it turned out he falsified his results. and his license was revoked.

But, I would imagine that it is possible for any animal to have a mental illness or a personality disorders like humans.
    Yeah I agree, plus there have been several newer studies showing there is absolutely no link to autism and vaccines, instead they are turning up other links to autism such as increase in pollution and BPA in plastics and even increases in certain hormones are linked to Autism.

The Original study showing vaccinations link to autism was a fraud
    Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds - CNN.com
    No links between autism and vaccinations: study | New York Post

and thanks to that and people like Jenny McArthy and crazy TV like the view previous diseases that have non been seen in the US are now making a strong comeback The CDC has issued warnings already on measles this year as infections and death have increased dramatically in children that are unvaccinated.
    Measles cases in the United States reach 20-year high | Press Release | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (06-11-2014), POPTOP (06-08-2014), Sam I Am (06-06-2014), ZRabbits (06-07-2014)

Puppy
    If there was dog autism, I don't know how anyone would recognize it to diagnose it. Autism spectrum disorder is so varied among humans. A hallmark is lack of eye contact, which dogs avoid anyway, and lack of speech, which, again, is not going to show up in a dog. Dogs can have many of the same things as humans. My dog has a compulsive disorder and major anxiety issues. She was later diagnosed with PTSD, too! She takes human medicines for these things. I just think that if a dog could be on the spectrum, no one would ever know it.

If you are interested in learning more about animal behavior, there is a textbook out there called Clinical Behavior is Small Animals. It's by a woman at UPenn named Karen Overall.

Interesting, great input

Thanks for enlightening me on the study. Once worked with a lady who had two autistic sons who swore it was from vaccinations. Never knew what to think.

I'm a teacher at a school for people with severe autism and such severe behaviors that they will never be able to mainstream back into their home communities, and I have never had a parent tell me that they think it's from vaccines. I found that everyone who told me autism was from vaccines had neurotypical children they just didn't vaccinate... I truly believe autism is the biggest gift and that we will all have it someday. I really believe it's just evolution. That's the pesky thing about it- nobody really knows where it comes from!

I don't believe dogs can have it, but I believe there are separate developmental disabilities that exist in dogs. Just not disabilities that exist in humans. And the book about compulsive parrots and what that shows about ourselves is a GREAT book.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hello, they don't know what causes autism. PERIOD.. but theories point to environmental toxins and yes, vaccines. These studies are paid for by the drug companies that proclaim that " vaccines don't cause autism."That is a fact. Now how ludicrous is the statement, :vaccines do not cause autism. But yet, they admit they don't know what causes autism which is a true fact. Come on...they don't know what causes it but they 'KNOW FOR SURE VACCINES DO NOT?" And that doctor that got his license revoked? Read the whole story. Dr. Andrew Wakefield, a pediatric gasterologist (sorry for the spelling) His studies have been duplicated since then about the MMR connection and autism. Read the study from the University of Pitt where they injected vaccines into rhesus monkeys who developed symptoms of autism.If you want more info , contact me... my son is a young man affected by vaccines. Before that, he was typical. The autism society will give you the facts. TACA will give you information as well. Read the AGE OF AUTISM... Generation Rescue is also a good resource. Read about the gut brain theory for autism. And genetics? No such thing as a genetic epidemic. Look at the rates of autism since the late 80's... from 1 in 10,000 to now, 1 in 68.
    Thanks,
    Sophie's mom

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos