Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Value of Training Basics - A Wee Brag

The local rescue did a fundraiser with Christmas photos, I took Oban. They commented when we were there that Oban was putting the other dogs to shame with his STAYS and distance commands to move. We were middle of the day though. But they just posted a few photos and said Oban was the easiest pet to photograph.

I think the little white rat just ahead of us gave Oban a run for that accolade though. His/her owner had a little Santa hat and he/she was in a little box with greenery. So, so cute.

Keep training folks. You just never know when a good solid STAY is going to come in handy.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (11-29-2015), Bamps (11-29-2015), barry581 (11-29-2015), Labradorks (11-29-2015), smartrock (11-29-2015), Tanya (11-29-2015), Tilly (12-11-2015)

Good boy Oban, that is the way to make your mama proud!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Great job Oban! You make your Mama so proud.

Maybe Oban can come and help Archie. He sits beautifully but only at my side. If I try to move away, he velcros back to me. A sit at distance has been a real challenge for him.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Can you get some of Oban's photos and put them up for us?

I don't have the proofs yet. I hope they are better than last time. We went to the open house of our training facility and they did photos as a fund raiser too. Every photo shows a nice black dog with about a foot of pink hanging out. His tongue I should say. It was HOT in there.
    Hidden Content

Well done Oban!

Oban's AWESOME!! What a good pup!!

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Great job Oban! You make your Mama so proud.

Maybe Oban can come and help Archie. He sits beautifully but only at my side. If I try to move away, he velcros back to me. A sit at distance has been a real challenge for him.
    We were lucky, I think, in that even though our first classes were just pet classes the instructor turned out to be from the defunct local Obedience Club that I went to with Jet. STAY went very sllooowwwwly.

We hand signalled STAY, stepped ahead, rotated to face dog, my knees were just about touching Oban's head. Rotated back. Did that a couple of times. Then we took one step back, repeated. Then three steps, then to the end of the leash, still holding it, then to the end of the leash but dropped it. Then one step back from the end of the leash. Somewhere in there we began to said the word, I forget exactly when we did that. As well, somewhere when we returned to the dog we walked around him and I forget when we started that too. The dog was sitting all this time. This particular trainer did not like a big celebration at the completion of the stay. She said, "They're not really doing anything, there's nothing to celebrate." She felt it would encourage them to leap up in joy when the exercise was finished and then they might break. We did give a quiet Good Boy and a pet. The next trainer said whatever works and rewards your dog, celebrate or not, you decide.
    Hidden Content

way to go Oban!

My dogs are quite use to posing which helps but different environments can bring different distractions. I just have to remember not to call Rocky's name as that somehow became his cue to get up and come say hi :P

I'm not thrilled with these. I should have taken the leash and collar off. Oban is looking at me but the photographer is crouching so in all the shots Oban seems to be star gazing. In the whole body sitting up shot he looks cross eyed. They had Santa hats and things as props but I knew Oban wouldn't wear them so we didn't even try. She took way more than three shots but these are her picks, I didn't get to see the others.

-jpg-five-jpg-six-jpg
    Hidden Content

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (12-11-2015), Scoutpout (12-11-2015), Tanya (12-11-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos