Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone Geocache?

Just wondering if anyone here geocaches?
    I think i've been thinking about it for two years, but like every other hobby I have it gets put on the back burner.
    So if you do,
    Do you like it?
    What GPS unit do you use?

My friend in Colorado does it. As far as I know he just uses an app on his iPhone. I can honestly say that I don't get the attraction, but he travels all over the world with his job, and I guess it gives him something to do while on the road.

My friend has done it a few times (and I've wanted to try it as well). She loved it and wanted to do more with me a few weeks ago, but the leaves have covered everything. She used the app on her phone to find them and comment that she found it/didn't find it. The website is pretty good too - you can see pictures of the geocache and comments from others too
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content
    In memory of Katie 3/20/94 - 2/19/07

Puppy
    Me! I used my nuvi500 up until about a year or 2 ago. Now the phone app is super efficient and easy to use. Not to mention convenient! haha.

I was figuring that using a phone app might drain the battery wayyy to quickly.
    I'm an outdoor kinda person, or at least when I can be. DH and I started the Fire Tower challange here in NY. was an awesome way to see places, and even better cuz it was an activity we could do with the furkids. But as the furkids aged and after a farming accident where I fractured my pelvis, mountain climbs aren't happening. I figured this would interesting, more of "nature walking", and something I could do with the non-senior furkids.

Jake and I have geocaches from time to time, but we didnt buy our GPS specifically for that. We actually got our GPS for hunting. We have a Garmin GPSMAP 64st and its great!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Hemi and I do it there are Badges for it in Dog Scouts and Titles.

We just use our phone. And yeah it does put more of a drain on it but only when your using the app and not a terrible amount. The phone comes in handy as well as some Geocaches can have riddles and also when you find one you can record your finding with a photo. Also

Another one to look into is Letter boxing, you get to create stamps and things and stamp hidden books out on the trail. Letter boxing can be pretty fun.

Both are great ways to break up long walks, give your walks a purpose and even trips. You can find geocaches all over. It is quite surprising how many there are hidden along the road and rest areas and so on. Some tell stories, a few good ones I have done is in Down Town Grand Rapids there are a ton of hidden ones giving the history of the city. You find them and find the spot and something significant in history happened there. Angel quests are cool as well. Basically those are put by family members in graveyards. You need to find a grave marker with a cache near it. Then it gives the history of the person that has been laid to rest there.

Some have traveling items that if you find the item you can then take it and plant it in another cache. There are tracking numbers you can record on the site. Some are wandering items some are homeward bound items where the item has been hidden a long ways away from home and through other geocachers it slowly makes it way across the country back home.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconsMom View Post
    Jake and I have geocaches from time to time, but we didnt buy our GPS specifically for that. We actually got our GPS for hunting. We have a Garmin GPSMAP 64st and its great!
    Just one note, Jake sells these at work and you should be able to get a Garmin 64s and do great for Geocaching, it is significantly cheaper and has similar functions.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

House Broken
    I letterbox. So much fun. While the two hobbies share a similar premise, the two camps are firmly divided.

Here is a website that you can go to find out more about letterboxing. Atlas Quest: A Letterboxing Community

Yes, I do. I have a Garmin Oregon 550. I bought that one because of the built in camera. I use it a lot while hiking as well and like the convenience of my pics being automatically geotagged so I now exactly where each shot was taken.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos