Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Are there any actual trainers on the board?

I'm interested in getting into dog training as a part-time/side job. I'm not sure where to start. The only experience I have is taking my own dog to a professional trainer, and while I love her bunches, she's over an hour away from my home now and it would be too difficult to learn with her. Does anyone know of any resources, or anything like that, for someone trying to learn the business?

We just got a puppy in October who will be 8 months old this month. He was a rescue, and has come with several challenges, so I'll get good practice.

Several people on the board have taken their own dog(s) to high levels in their chosen venue of obedience, rally, agility, flyball and/or field trials. Every trainer I've had has titled their dog(s) beyond the novice level in the sport they teach. One is a friend and I know she was mentored by the person she and I both took agility lessons from and my friend went on to become a judge. And yes, there are folks here who conduct classes, hope some of them see your thread and come to help.

What are you training your dog in right now? Becoming proficient with your own dog is a pre-requisite to teaching others, I think. I know for myself membership in an organization like CAPPDT is reassuring if I don't personally know the person or have great references on them. The U.S. version has an education link and lots of other information that might help you.

Association of Professional Dog Trainers
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

klnst3 (12-01-2015)

House Broken
    Thanks! Well, Reggie (my 3yo Lab) went through regular obedience training with me through the trainer I mentioned in our original post. We also did some agility just for fun with her. I have the 8 month old puppy that I have started working with, but it's been a while since I've trained a puppy, so obviously what I learned myself needs to be refreshed/retrained in my mind. Now, Reggie is a very sweet and loveable boy, but doesn't always have the best manners. And we never quite mastered walking well on a leash without the Gentle Leader, so I know I need work myself, too. That's why I am looking into all this now. I need to train my puppy, especially since he's actually quite the bully with Reggie and other puppies (or well, he tries to be... lol), and I want to have my dogs trained very well and know that I can do it, if I'm going to try with others. I am also a firm believer that a trainer definitely needs to be proficient with their own dogs first.

Moreover, I just really have such an interest and love for dogs, that I also just want to know why they do what they do and act how they act. I've grew up around dogs and my grandma worked for a Pet Store when I was a child, so I've learned a lot in general over the years. I don't consider myself any kind of expert, and I always come here when I'm looking for answers to issues or advice-- there are definitely some awesome experts here. But friends and family do often ask me dog-related questions/advice, and so, it has started to make me think about this more seriously recently.

Thanks for your help!

Are you looking to be a pet dog trainer? Most around here start working at pet dog training places part-time and easing into teaching with a mentor, typically starting with some puppy classes. The last place I trained had a program such as this. I think for pet dogs getting certifications is a biggie.

At my current training center, my trainer only works with people that compete, but when she is not using her facility, she leases it to others who teach puppy classes and other pet dog classes or intro to competition type classes. Many of those trainers also compete, but at lower levels. They bring in their own clients, but their methods have to align with hers since they use her facility and training center name.

I think the ability to work with people is important. As is understanding behavior. Having a niche isn't bad, either, whether it's a type of dog or a type of training.

I would try to work at a dog training center first. I would also try to figure out if you want to train pets for good house manners or strive for more. That will establish who your clients will be. The reason being, even for pet training, I would only go to a trainer that competes. But that's me.

i agree, i would look at some training schools (or maybe try to work for a few different training styles to learn more) and ask about mentoring or working with them. Around here the more established training schools now have solid programs to become a trainer (generally linked to learning and preparing and getting the hours needed to be certified). if you do follow a process with a school ask what exactly you are being certified as - some schools here you get a certificate only relevant to that school VS nationall recognized certificates.

There is soooo much to learn about dog training. how dogs learn, different ways of training, etc. etc. etc. so reading everything and anything is good. read with a critical mind though, not all books are good there are many ways to train and philosophies ("dominance based" training; positive training, balanced training, etc.).

go to seminars and talks. go to info sessions. being a well educated trainer takes lots of work, reading, exeprience...

here is one certification: Association of Professional Dog Trainers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

klnst3 (12-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    ibeing a well educated trainer takes lots of work, reading, exeprience...
    And money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    And money!!!

haha yeah. I remember many years ago you could do mentorship with some schools for cheap ($300?) but this got you not certification. But good for experience and learning.

Now the programs are MUCH more detailed (hours of class work work, hours of practical, exams, ect.) and prepare you to write one of the more common pet dog trainer exams but cost more (around here all that is $3000 but it's a few years and TONS of guidance and education so I completely understand why they charge that - you get so much!)

There are some online courses which help on the knowledge front but not hands on guidance/training.

House Broken
    Thanks everyone for your help so far. I've just started my research, but so far, I'm not coming up with any places in my area that do hands-on, in-person training (Pittsburgh, PA area). I'm still looking though.

And for those of you that mentioned or asked, I'm not looking to train for shows or any sports yet, mostly I'm interested in training pet/companion dogs, and maybe eventually getting into helping shelters get abandoned dogs back on their feet and placed without being returned for common, completely fixable problems.

Right now, I'd settle for knowing how to get my recently adopted mixed breed puppy to stop chewing my kitchen furniture when left alone (crate training went really poorly, and I realized then that Reggie was soo easy as a pup that I didn't really KNOW how to crate train... Reggie is out of the crate now so we've been blocking both dogs in our kitchen when we're gone). It's my goal to start working with Dakota on gradually becoming comfortable and used to the crate so that he can be crated if needed one day, but right now... he's a total spaz in it.

how did you try the crate training?

I'd start with feeding in the crate (all meals), door open. randomly throw in high value treats for the dog to find. Then google crate games by susan garrett (there are lots of videos online) which is designed to make the crate a fun place. and progress from there.

I think reading as much as you can will be a good start.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (12-03-2015), klnst3 (12-08-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos