Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Tree

Christmas Tree

-img_9234-jpgPackers 1st Christmas and we are scared to put anything up,any ideas?he's very acrobatic
    Last edited by jules; 12-02-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: picture
    Packer

We've always put up trees with all our dogs and have not had them do anything they shouldn't do. They haven't even barked at the tree or peed on it. Some people have had their dogs gobble down a broken glass ornament, though, so you need to be rather circumspect about what to put on the tree and where.

You could try putting the tree up and leaving it undecorated for a few days to accustom him to its presence and see if he's going to try anything. Then hang ornaments higher up to discourage him from sampling them. It makes for a rather unbalanced looking tree but if you want a tree, you might need to make some concessions. If you put ornaments lower down, I'd hang some that won't break if they get pulled off or hit by his happy, happy tail. And don't hang gingerbread ornaments or pork chops or anything that smells too tempting!

Another thing I usually do is tie the tree to something maybe shoulder height to lessen the risk of the dog pulling it over. In our current house, the tree sits in front of a window that opens, so I can tie some twine around the trunk of the tree, pass it through the blinds, and loop it over the window lock. I don't tie it very tight, just enough to keep the tree from slamming straight down into the middle of the room and the ornaments flying off and breaking everywhere if some dog gives anything a tug.

I don't put any decorations on table tops or the coffee table where the dogs might try to grab them or knock them off with their tails. No lovely candle scenes for us. If a tree is up, the dogs aren't allowed into that room if I'm not home to supervise the activity. After a day or so, they usually decide it's not too interesting anyway. Good luck! Be good Packer!

Real Retriever
    Piper has never messed with the tree on her own. Last year the kittens knocked an ornament off and then it was game on but I really think she was more disciplining the kittens than anything else. She kept barking and bounding around like a psycho! This is her third Christmas and I was really worried the first two but she handled it pretty well. The very first year she was only a couple of months and I just sprayed a little bitter apple on the tree, presents and decorations periodically and she stayed away. Last year she opened one present and that was it. This year nothing so far. I will cross my fingers for you that Packer is as uninterested in it as Pipe.

I don't put any gifts under the tree. If they're on the floor, they're the dogs' toys, in their opinion. They've done too many Secret Santa's to think a wrapped present shouldn't be investigated thoroughly!

This is Murphy's first Christmas as well and we haven't had any problems (knock on wood). We get a live tree and we were worried that he'd consider it a convenient snack. We don't usually put ornaments on the live trees since the branches aren't very strong, but he hasn't bothered the lights or branches. The only thing he does is get near it, sniff it, and then knock his huge behind into the tree and shed the needles. He also eats the needles, but after a few corrections, he stops and walks away. It's weird because he goes and sits UNDER the tree when we're all in the living room watching tv. Personally, I think he likes it LOL

But like smartrock said, any presents on the floor become the dog's toy immediately

I would put the tree up with some lights for a few days like someone else suggested and see how he adjusts
    ~Alyssa
    Hidden Content
    In memory of Katie 3/20/94 - 2/19/07

I use an artificial tree and have never had a problem with the older dogs. I also do not put gifts under the tree, all of my crew, present and past, have loved to chew boxes.

I do decorate with non-breakable ornaments on the bottom, breakables toward the top.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

thanks for all the advice,my 1st lab chocolate lab zach was about 12 years and he wasn't a jumper ,my 2nd didn't go near the tree but this guy jumps and runs so I'm a little nervous
    Packer

I have always had a tree with other dogs but haven't tried it with these two. My main concern is Sam's tail. I can't see anyway that he won't end up bashing the tree with his tail. I'm not worried that either dog will do anything wrong. If the room was larger providing him more space for all his wagging, I'd put the tree up.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

Have seen people open up a x pen to set it partially around show barrier if up against a wall / window . Have seen fence / gates used ( also room gated off where tree is) . We only have one dog so no problems , Max kinda curious when first out but once lights on etc mostly not interested .... he will tap an ornament once in a while when first put on so when using metal hooks I close top part of hook around branch , if using ornament with ribbon fold up the branch . We used to use stuffed animals around tree years and years ago ..... stopped that once we had our first dog . we added a second tree last year in mud room , both are almost done Max is used to them being there . Used unbreakable ornaments few breakables towards top in mud room due Max tail and it being close to door , I did put some breakable towards bottom in living room this year ... had not in past .

good luck

edit to add the fencing I saw was like a short white picket fence type

kathy
    Last edited by Kathy W; 12-08-2015 at 07:35 PM.

We were moving during Mocha's first Christmas and didn't put up a tree. So he was about 18 months when he experienced his first Christmas tree. He didn't really bother it. We put the good/fragile ornaments up high and the non-breakable ones at "tail height". He gave it all a thorough sniffing and was fine. Also, by this time, he'd learned "leave it" really well so it wasn't an issue.

DH took this beautiful picture of him last year.
    -mocha-christmas-2014-jpg

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos