Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Sad to see some people hate dogs

Recently read a story/news online about a pit bull attacking a dog and the person who tried to separate them. A lot of people left their comments under the post about how bad pit bulls are and even how bad dogs are. I feel so bad to see some or even a lot of people hate dogs so much. I do not want to comment on pit bull because I don't have much experience with this breed. However, why do so many people hate all dogs. They think dogs are just stupid and fierce animals. Dogs can bite people to death. They are dirty and dangerous. It is risky to live with a dog or even come across a dog in the street because they can attack people and kids suddenly for no reason. Dogs will never consider them as family members as we do. So we human should avoid them at all. Some people say they never let their kids to touch any dogs for their safety and hygiene. Some people say they hate to see dog owners bringing dogs to public parks even though dogs are allowed there. (I am so sorry to repeat these negative comments here...) I just don't understand why some people hate dogs from the bottom of their hearts. I understand it is impossible for everyone to LOVE dogs. But why do you HATE them, so much?

I have been a lab mom for almost one year and she is my first dog in my life. I never lived with a dog before and I did not know about the life with a dog (now I know it is incredibly amazing!) But I never hate a dog. And I really cannot understand why so many people think humans are so superior to dogs and dogs are just bad and dangerous animals. Feeling so sad....
    Last edited by greagre; 12-02-2015 at 11:58 PM.

It is hard to understand since we love our furkids so much. I guess like anything, there are those to love dogs and those who don't. The one thing I am thankful for is that those who don't like dogs don't get dogs and chain them up in the back yard, uncared for, unloved. Like any breed, with a pit bull you have to know the breed, know their general personalities, needs, training, care, and definitely get one from a reputable breeder.

Guess it just like there are people who don't like horses, chickens, heck even people who don't want to be around other people. Each to their own as long as they don't inflict their hatred on others, skin or fur.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Don't you find it awfully similar to the reaction against some ethnic and religious human groups these days? If all you see in the media is sensationalized negative remarks and you're not the sort to investigate and learn on your own (ignorant by choice) then it's not hard to understand the fear.

Sorry, we had coffee after skating with some people who are vehemently against Canada taking in any Muslim refugees and it was upsetting to listen to them. There's just no talking to them, they're "mind is made up don't confuse me with facts" types.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-03-2015), fostermom (12-04-2015), Tanya (12-03-2015)

i can't stand comments on articles. it makes me sad for humanity. the hate, the anger, the lack of understanding of the issue, the discrimination...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

K10 (12-03-2015), Maxx&Emma (12-04-2015)

I lived in an apartment complex for three years that had many Muslim residents. Muslims fear and hate dogs. It's a cultural thing, to them dogs are "dirty." I was exiting an elevator one time with Daisy and Lily and one woman ran back screaming as if my two LEASHED dogs, one of which is only 10 lbs, were going to attack her at any moment. Her reaction of course made things worse because it made Lily start barking. On another occasion I was asked to pick up my 40 lb foster pit bull mix which was 13 years, partially toothless and completely harmless so that the woman could ride in the elevator too. I said I couldn't do that so she still got in the elevator and backed herself into the corner absolutely terrified. What seemed bizarre to me is that these people chose this complex knowing it was extremely dog friendly.

Unfortunately the hatred and fear of dogs is very often perpetuated in their children.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

My mother hates animals. I do belive that a person that can hate animals should not have children.

I also have to admit that even though I do not hate the breed I no longer want to be around Pit Bulls that being said the attack on Molly has created some serious fear in me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (12-04-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue-Ram View Post
    Unfortunately the hatred and fear of dogs is very often perpetuated in their children.
    I believe this is what upsets me most. When I meet a parent who goes out of their way to have Bubba greet their child it makes my heart swell.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

Quote Originally Posted by arentspowell View Post
    I lived in an apartment complex for three years that had many Muslim residents. Muslims fear and hate dogs. It's a cultural thing, to them dogs are "dirty." I was exiting an elevator one time with Daisy and Lily and one woman ran back screaming as if my two LEASHED dogs, one of which is only 10 lbs, were going to attack her at any moment. Her reaction of course made things worse because it made Lily start barking. On another occasion I was asked to pick up my 40 lb foster pit bull mix which was 13 years, partially toothless and completely harmless so that the woman could ride in the elevator too. I said I couldn't do that so she still got in the elevator and backed herself into the corner absolutely terrified. What seemed bizarre to me is that these people chose this complex knowing it was extremely dog friendly.
    If they aren't dog people, that wouldn't be something they would even think to ask.

Our next door neighbors are Muslim. Right after they moved in, I let the dogs out to potty in our fenced back yard. One of the women was in the backyard raking leaves and she ran as fast as she could back into the house. The fence at the time was only 4 feet high and I am sure she thought the dogs could get to her. Later she apologized and explained she was terrified of dogs. Like many in some Middle Eastern countries, she hadn't been exposed to dogs and had been raised to believe that they all were dangerous and dirty. When we replaced the fence this summer, we put up a 6 foot privacy fence on that side so they could enjoy their back yard, too. They are a very nice family and we are fortunate to have them as our next door neighbors, the people who have lived in that house previously were terrible neighbors!

OP, the comment section of any news story (or on FB) is not the place to get a feel for what the general public feels. Lots of people are just trolls, trying to get a rise out of other posters. Some people truly are as hateful as they appear online, but they would never act that way if they weren't hiding behind a keyboard.

We met a Saudi father and (older) daughter w/ Hoku several weeks ago. They were curious, but very very uneasy. The girl explained that in Saudi Arabia, people just don't have dogs as pets, so she was scared. My husband had Hoku—who was just sitting placidly by his side (I was inside a store, doing some errands)—and just chatted with them a bit, explained Lab breeding, how they are bred to be calm and very people-oriented. The girl kept watching Hoku. My husband asked if she wanted to pet her, and the girl said "I don't, because I'm scared.... but I want to like her, because she's so pretty and sweet."

I don't think we turned them into dog lovers, but dogs can be great ambassadors towards opening eyes.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos